Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree, the coaches wrap videos last with Danny Daly. Can understand that perhaps we dont want to give away too much. Maybe something we could do is focus on 1 player on different weeks, and without giving too much away, go through their 'little wins', what their role was, how well they did with it etc. We do hear a lot about focusing on the positives and little wins, so agree that some video content highlighting some of these would be nice.

from the outside looking in i think we miss some of those little wins from the stands.

Re the coaches videos, maybe they'd be more engaging if they were answering questions asked by fans? Even getting to ask the questions would build supporter confidence.
I guess like what you're doing, but about the football, but obviously structuring a way they could avoid questions: submit via website perhaps? Club picks what they answer....?

I'd like to know details about what the club offers in terms of leadership development programs for players. There is amazing programs around the world, and I wash shocked a few years ago to hear Rockliff raving about sitting next to Lewis on a plane and that being amazing for his leadership development. Strikes me that it would be worth sending the players on an internationally acclaimed leadership development program?
The players and coaching staff are working with Leading Teams with an aim to develop winning habits and winning behaviours. So far, so good!

The Mic'd up coaching things are 1000x better than the rhetoric of the coach's report.

Locker talk is good.

"Day in the life of..." would be less obtrusive than a week...
Thanks! We started doing the mic'd up videos to provide a different insight. Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to see. Or if you have any ideas for Locker Talk topics...

Re the coaches videos, maybe they'd be more engaging if they were answering questions asked by fans? Even getting to ask the questions would build supporter confidence.
I guess like what you're doing, but about the football, but obviously structuring a way they could avoid questions: submit via website perhaps? Club picks what they answer....?
We did this last year and could possibly get it up and going again. I'll put it to the team.

I'd like to know details about what the club offers in terms of leadership development programs for players. There is amazing programs around the world, and I wash shocked a few years ago to hear Rockliff raving about sitting next to Lewis on a plane and that being amazing for his leadership development. Strikes me that it would be worth sending the players on an internationally acclaimed leadership development program?

I'm pretty sure we've got leading team involved this year

I don't understand why the club doesn't offer cheaper tickets in order to get more people in? Surely there's a cost/benefit analysis here where even having people paying $0 is better than an empty seat?

If you just start giving away all extra tickets not sold, at what point to people stop buying them knowing they can pick them up for free anyway. I'm sure there is a fair bit of cost/benefit analysis that has gone into pricing tickets, and where we've landed is the result.

A half time or before bounce game of "force em backs" or touch AFL. $10 to enter: randomly assigned to a team. Or just random ticket numbers? 20 people on each team. Winning team all get something? Don't wanna take over for the Auskick obviously.

As you've mentioned Auskick is half time which is great and should definitely stay and pre game is player warm up. Not sure where you'd fit it in. Before initial player warm up? Just don't think there would be enough people there that early TBH.

I'm aware that a lot of clubs down here in Melbourne are working with sports psychologists, performance coaches and teachers around meditation and mindfulness initiatives, do the Lions have an emphasis on these things? Or anything in place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys have any say over the food & beer prices at the Gabba?

Like tons of my mates would be way more keen to come if the beers weren't so exspensive.

Pretty sure this is done as a tender process by Gabba Management and the catering companies (in our case Michael O'Brien Catering). Dont think the club is party to it. That said, the AFL managed to do something about food and drink prices in Melbourne.

Do you guys have any say over the food & beer prices at the Gabba?

Like tons of my mates would be way more keen to come if the beers weren't so exspensive.

I'm pretty sure that stadiums qld award the food and beverage contracts at a stadium level, with the actual pourage rights in control of the clubs (don't think that covers the price of drinks though, just which company they serve). No sane sporting club would subject their fans to being served by Michael O'Brien catering although the cats have done this at their stadium for some reason. Their food is truly horrible and completely uninspiring. How they managed to get the contract to Suncorp is astounding. Clearly $$'s wins over actual fan satisfaction. Its a shame that the australian stadium food industry is so poorly run when compared to overseas. I mean you can't even get a hotdog with anything else on it at all, just the bread and sausage, thats it. TBH this is my biggest bugbear when going to the gabba (and now suncorp), the lack of half decent food options. Finally there's a yiros place near me now that does something semi decent, but there's a reason I go to the german club pre game for food and drink. Apologies for the rant

Free tickets for international students would be a good idea. If not always, just an multicultural round?
Yes, definitely. We work with a number of organisations (schools, unis, junior clubs, community centres and the AFL) to try and bring new and old fans to the game. Through these partnerships, we sometimes offer free tickets to certain groups in order for them to experience the game. However, this is always done as part of a partnership to ensure the Club has an opportunity to grow our fan base and get repeat customers!

We're pleased to see you noticed our multicultural efforts during the Crows game and look forward to recognising and celebrating many cultures more often as a Club. At that game we hosted over 100 International Students, who absolutely loved the game!

I don't understand why the club doesn't offer cheaper tickets in order to get more people in? Surely there's a cost/benefit analysis here where even having people paying $0 is better than an empty seat?
Our #1 focus with our ticketing strategy is to ensure our members always have the best value for game entry. Therefore, our ticket offers are never better than what a member can get. As part of our ticketing strategy, we do put some offers out to the market through highly engaged partners and programs. As a member, you may never see these offers as they aren’t better than what you can get. Further to that, there is a cost to the Club for each person who attends the games, so we try to minimise the number of free tickets issued as it’s quite expensive for the Club to do this. Rest assured we're working very hard behind the scenes to make our game as appealing as possible for people to purchase and come along.

The one thing I'd like to see brought back is the 2 member guest passes. I understand budgets may not permit it, but I think it was something many members loved. I know for me personally it was great when I lived on the Gold Coast - if my usual friend/member wasn't coming, getting that ticket to bring a mate was the difference between attending or not.

Can you please clarify the seating arrangements for Lions members (Traditional and Vic Plus members) for the match against Essendon at Docklands in a couple of weeks i.e. Will Level 3 in section 13-14 be available as per ususal or will we be required to upgrade our tickets if we want to avoid being seated in the nose bleed section behind the goals from rows "u" + or whatever it was the last time we played Essendon at the venue?

Can you please clarify the seating arrangements for Lions members (Traditional and Vic Plus members) for the match against Essendon at Docklands in a couple of weeks i.e. Will Level 3 in section 13-14 be available as per ususal or will we be required to upgrade our tickets if we want to avoid being seated in the nose bleed section behind the goals from rows "u" + or whatever it was the last time we played Essendon at the venue?

Unfortunately we weren’t able to secure an exclusive bay of seats on Level 3 at Etihad Stadium for the Essendon game (Round 15) as we have with other matches at the venue. Rest assured that the match is NOT full ticketed, however GA seating for members will be limited on Level 3 to rows from G and beyond (behind the goals) and M and beyond (closer to the wing). You will still be able to simply scan your membership card and access these areas. That said, you can also upgrade your membership to a reserved seat on Level 1 through Ticketmaster if you like, but that comes at an extra cost.

The one thing I'd like to see brought back is the 2 member guest passes. I understand budgets may not permit it, but I think it was something many members loved. I know for me personally it was great when I lived on the Gold Coast - if my usual friend/member wasn't coming, getting that ticket to bring a mate was the difference between attending or not.
There are currently two types of memberships that have access to the two member guest passes for selected games. Our Premium and September Members have access to these guest passes, and depending on your type of membership, you can upgrade to a September Member to be entitled to these passes. Alternatively, if your usual friend/member isn’t able to make a game, they can always forward on their membership ticket to another person to use!

"Love My People" - Crown and the M.O.B.
Licencing will likely kill it, but I would love to see that intro video on Youtube at the end of the year. Otherwise, a big effort I am sure, but I am sure you guys have lots of footage with which you could do a making off video. That would be fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back