Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

I've signed up and paid for the membership, does that mean I now have an AFL live pass? Do I now just make a Telstra ID and I'm done?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If it's anything like the Global Lion membership, they'll send you an email with instructions a voucher code which will cover the subscription.

Hi Lions_Insider ,

Further to discussions in the review thread, do the Lions as a club track how much mainstream media the club gets on a weekly basis, as well as time on shows like 360 and The Bounce?

Further to that, how does a club such as Brisbane go about getting more time and exposure on said shows? Is there a regulated amount we should be getting?

I was of the opinion once we started winning we'd get more media time, but we're in the top 8 six rounds in and the lack of discussion around our team outside of a few passing comments is disappointing.

No doubt it must be hard for you guys in the media team and want to say again how great a job you guys do for the fans with things like the Podcast and Lions.com media.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is an interesting question.

Hi Lions_Insider ,

Further to discussions in the review thread, do the Lions as a club track how much mainstream media the club gets on a weekly basis, as well as time on shows like 360 and The Bounce?

Further to that, how does a club such as Brisbane go about getting more time and exposure on said shows? Is there a regulated amount we should be getting?

We do track media coverage, but we don't live and die by those numbers. It's nice to be able to go back at the end of the year and review how much media we have done per week, as see it rise and fall as per the week. We definitely weren't complaining Round 5 for lack of coverage.

I think we do a very good job of getting time and exposure on said shows. Getting on these shows comes down to two things really, newsworthiness and relationships. Are we the talk of the town like we were when we were 3-0, or a part of the hype machine leading into Round 5? Well then we'll get plenty of airtime on nearly every TV show, radio station and print outlet.

The other one is relationship based. We've had a few instances this year where producers of shows have texted us at the last minute knowing we're A) easy to deal with B) knowing we are a good chance to put somebody up, which has resulted in us getting on shows we normally wouldn't have been.

I was of the opinion once we started winning we'd get more media time, but we're in the top 8 six rounds in and the lack of discussion around our team outside of a few passing comments is disappointing.

No doubt it must be hard for you guys in the media team and want to say again how great a job you guys do for the fans with things like the Podcast and Lions.com media.

You probably need to understand the modern day news cycle to understand our lack of coverage.

Reasons I can think of for why we didn't get the coverage we all probably thought we deserved:

Are we the bad news story of the week? No, and unfortunately nearly every show leads with negative news.
Are we the good news story of the weekend? No.
Are we an overarching season narrative like team X making finals or team Y definitely not making finals? No.
Did we go against a more recent narrative? No.

We had a few fun little stories - team back to form, stars returning to form, so we got a little amount of coverage.

This is an interesting question.

We do track media coverage, but we don't live and die by those numbers. It's nice to be able to go back at the end of the year and review how much media we have done per week, as see it rise and fall as per the week. We definitely weren't complaining Round 5 for lack of coverage.

I think we do a very good job of getting time and exposure on said shows. Getting on these shows comes down to two things really, newsworthiness and relationships. Are we the talk of the town like we were when we were 3-0, or a part of the hype machine leading into Round 5? Well then we'll get plenty of airtime on nearly every TV show, radio station and print outlet.

The other one is relationship based. We've had a few instances this year where producers of shows have texted us at the last minute knowing we're A) easy to deal with B) knowing we are a good chance to put somebody up, which has resulted in us getting on shows we normally wouldn't have been.

You probably need to understand the modern day news cycle to understand our lack of coverage.

Reasons I can think of for why we didn't get the coverage we all probably thought we deserved:

Are we the bad news story of the week? No, and unfortunately nearly every show leads with negative news.
Are we the good news story of the weekend? No.
Are we an overarching season narrative like team X making finals or team Y definitely not making finals? No.
Did we go against a more recent narrative? No.

We had a few fun little stories - team back to form, stars returning to form, so we got a little amount of coverage.

Really appreciate your time and thorough response.

Robbojack

Rookie
Apr 10, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey LI,

Just wondering if the Lion’s Indigenous guernseys will be for sale this year or, like the ANZAC guernseys, will they only be available via auction?

Cheers,

Ryan

Lions_Insider when will my membership kit arrive. I signed up for the virtual membership last Saturday.
I would suggest that contacting the membership Dept would be the best way to get an answer on this. But usually they take a couple of weeks

jaykippa

Debutant
Oct 11, 2007
ON TOP OF THE HEAP
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.
Gday LI what is the story with interviews with players, coaches etc on radio talkback and other platforms not being put on audioBoom or the lions app lately. There has been nothing uploaded to audioBoom for over a month when I know there has been a number of interviews done with lions playsers and staff.
Just wondering why this content is lacking lately as it was online the next day at the latest not that long ago. Being a Vic member it’s really the only way we can stay in the loop without paying for news articles in the courier mail etc. also communication through Twitter is non existent also. I’ve tweeted issues regarding glitches in app and also asked the same questions regarding interviews and had no response. When I have used Twitter for communication a number of times previously I have always got a response or acknowledgement. Has there been a change in roles or something ??? Cheers

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gday LI what is the story with interviews with players, coaches etc on radio talkback and other platforms not being put on audioBoom or the lions app lately. There has been nothing uploaded to audioBoom for over a month when I know there has been a number of interviews done with lions playsers and staff.
Just wondering why this content is lacking lately as it was online the next day at the latest not that long ago. Being a Vic member it’s really the only way we can stay in the loop without paying for news articles in the courier mail etc. also communication through Twitter is non existent also. I’ve tweeted issues regarding glitches in app and also asked the same questions regarding interviews and had no response. When I have used Twitter for communication a number of times previously I have always got a response or acknowledgement. Has there been a change in roles or something ??? Cheers

That's definitely still the plan to keep uploading content, it's probably been a bit harder this year due to our sheer size of media commitments, especially the first month or so. It's slowed down the past few weeks so hopefully it can pick up again.

We have been trying to put some of the radio interviews through the websites as videos too.

Can you DM me some of your tweets so I can get more info? Thanks.

jaykippa

Debutant
Oct 11, 2007
ON TOP OF THE HEAP
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.
That's definitely still the plan to keep uploading content, it's probably been a bit harder this year due to our sheer size of media commitments, especially the first month or so. It's slowed down the past few weeks so hopefully it can pick up again.

We have been trying to put some of the radio interviews through the websites as videos too.

Can you DM me some of your tweets so I can get more info? Thanks.

Attachments

• 988502A2-5810-44B5-B8B8-347381330E44.png
    988502A2-5810-44B5-B8B8-347381330E44.png
    578.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 196E6078-EC87-43CC-83B9-94EF9D3EF510.png
    196E6078-EC87-43CC-83B9-94EF9D3EF510.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 168

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
To be fair to LI, that twitter DM was posted just after 5pm yesterday, some 3 hours before you made your complaint on BF. As much as we'd like the Lions social media department to be on the clock 24/7, if I DM or PM an organisation after traditional work hours, I usually wait until lunch the next day before I go looking for a response.

jaykippa

Debutant
Oct 11, 2007
ON TOP OF THE HEAP
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy F.C.
To be fair to LI, that twitter DM was posted just after 5pm yesterday, some 3 hours before you made your complaint on BF. As much as we'd like the Lions social media department to be on the clock 24/7, if I DM or PM an organisation after traditional work hours, I usually wait until lunch the next day before I go looking for a response.
For sure I’m not having a dig at the media dept at all. I have had a lot of communication with them in the past and have found there response time very good and they have always gotten back to me. It just been lately there has been no response at all hense why I asked if there had been a change of staff etc. I couldn’t find some of the other tweets I had for some reason.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For sure I’m not having a dig at the media dept at all. I have had a lot of communication with them in the past and have found there response time very good and they have always gotten back to me. It just been lately there has been no response at all hense why I asked if there had been a change of staff etc. I couldn’t find some of the other tweets I had for some reason.
We are currently down a headcount which will be replaced soon, shouldn’t be an excuse though.

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi there,

Sorry for the intrusion. It is great to see the Lions doing so well this year, I wish you all the best of luck! I have been trying to help a die hard 84 year old fella find a Brissy Lions Zip up jacket to no avail. It is a birthday present for him... Could someone please steer me in the direction for where I could purchase one? We have already tried all the online footy merch retailers and called the Club itself and they seem to mostly be sold out...Does anyone have any leads or connections that could help? TIA>>>

Hi there,

Sorry for the intrusion. It is great to see the Lions doing so well this year, I wish you all the best of luck! I have been trying to help a die hard 84 year old fella find a Brissy Lions Zip up jacket to no avail. It is a birthday present for him... Could someone please steer me in the direction for where I could purchase one? We have already tried all the online footy merch retailers and called the Club itself and they seem to mostly be sold out...Does anyone have any leads or connections that could help? TIA>>>

So you're saying they don't actually have these at the lions shop?

https://www.lionsshop.com.au/brisbane-lions-2019-mens-performance-jacket.html

this one is a bit older but i've bought something from these guys before, over in perth.

https://www.jimkiddsports.com.au/co...ons-travel-jacket-bljk312?variant=12448521668

Aeons

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi FatCat, Thanks for your help! the first one is a performance type jacket and we are more looking for a warm winter jacket as this may be one of his last winters and we want him to be warm. The second one looks ok -we will check it out! I appreciate your help mate! Cheers!

Back