Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of our less recent members may remember Lions_Insider, the club rep on the board that pops up from time to time. Well they've kindly offered to host a thread where they can answer questions and share info (where appropriate, so no speculation about Tayla and Josh :p).

There's three simple rules:
  1. They'll try to answer as many questions about off-field matters as possible.
  2. They won't answer any on-field questions, so try not to waste time asking these questions.
  3. Any replies to other people's questions by someone other than Lions_Insider or a mod should be made in the discussion thread.
They say they're looking forward to this opportunity, so I'm guessing that makes them a bit of a newbie around you lot. :p

Last edited:

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
How do they rate the draft this year?

Are we going to be a big player during the trade period?

Any chance of the club's draft event this year being held in Brisbane? Last 2 have been in Melbourne from memory.
I can't answer this officially but IIRC the main blocking issue on a Brisbane function in previous years has been that the scouts that attend for the inside angle live in Melbourne.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't answer this officially but IIRC the main blocking issue on a Brisbane function in previous years has been that the scouts that attend for the inside angle live in Melbourne.

What if the club organised a stream from Melbourne with a live audience here in Brisbane?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

What if the club organised a stream from Melbourne with a live audience here in Brisbane?

I don't think it needs to be a function. I would be happy if it was held in one of the clubs bars with the draft live on tv and as Rubix WingMan suggested, a live stream from the clubs Melbourne function is a good idea. Mainly somewhere where draft enthusiasts, both members and non members can meet and chat and watch the draft.

I am on holidays over draft week, so it's a rare opportunity for me that I have time off where I can attend a Lions event.

I don't think it needs to be a function. I would be happy if it was held in one of the clubs bars with the draft live on tv and as Rubix WingMan suggested, a live stream from the clubs Melbourne function is a good idea. Mainly somewhere where draft enthusiasts, both members and non members can meet and chat and watch the draft.

I am on holidays over draft week, so it's a rare opportunity for me that I have time off where I can attend a Lions event.
I wonder if they televise it live down at Springwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I wonder if they televise it live down at Springwood.
I thought about Springwood. I do not know if they have any function rooms. But the draft is on a Friday night and a lot of people go there for dinner and drinks on a Friday.

And Springwood is a fair hike for North siders.

Having seen where the club sometimes hold their post game fan player questions in the club videos, my thought was it looks like the perfect venue in terms of size, layout and set up, and possibly access.

BrizzyBandit

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Definitely whats the latest on the training and admin base?

Positive or negative after the budget?

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll start it off with the obvious off field question-

Whats happening with the new training/admin/AFLW base?

While there wasn’t a specific amount allocated for the Lions in last week’s state budget, we are doing a lot of work behind the scenes with all forms of government to progress our discussions. There are a lot of broader benefits, beyond the facility upgrade, to the Springfield facility that we hope to release to our members and supporters soon.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've all heard about how it's been different this year with the coaching and off-field personnel changes with respect to players.

How have you seen the changes in your club capacity? Are there any drastic improvements that make you think "wow how were we not doing this before?"

Personally, I have definitely felt a positive change around the Club, both in Admin and Footy. For us, we feel we can start to be more creative and innovative and still have the backing and enthusiasm from players and footy staff etc. The content we do put out is received by supporters in a slightly different way than before.

As for drastic improvements... We have always aimed to produce high quality content, regardless of on field performance (that just helps our content go better) however, we have a few new staff this year who have brought some exciting ideas!

We're always looking for content ideas - if you guys have something you'd like us to consider doing in the Comms space, let us know :)

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What is the club doing to try and get cut through in the tough SEQ market?

What is the plan for the next 3 years to build on the clubs projected on field resurgence to increase match day attendance and promote the Lions brand in Brisbane?

The club is doing a host of match day initiatives – from 'Kids Go Free Sunday', improving the match day entertainment, working with the GABBA to get the two new big screens as well as theming matches, we are hoping to get as many new fans through the gates as possible.

Being able to have a new training and admin facility will help a lot from hosting our own AFLW games and building a home base that looks amazing, the players are proud of, and the fans love to come to. That will not only help us on the field with our own year-round state of the art facilities for both men’s and women’s, but also off the field by opening up new revenue streams we can re-invest into marketing.

The best form of marketing is winning, we also hoping to be doing a lot more of that over the next three years.

We are also happy to take any suggestions here on how to cut through in the market as well.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it true that the players only have 90 minutes of field training a week? If not how many minutes do they generally spend on each activity? Gym work, rehab, field work etc?

Not true. The players train over double that amount on field as well as weights sessions, stability, skills, goal kicking, running, off legs sessions. In addition to this, players have several meetings throughout the week as a team, as well as with their line coaches and individual player reviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back