Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they release the voting for the 11th and below placings?

They do but footy aren't too keen on this being shared, mainly the round-by-round votes.

The full list in order of votes is below:

Zorko
Beams D
Martin
Gardiner
Andrews
Berry
McCluggage
Hodge
Robertson
Witherden
Christensen
Hipwood
Robinson
Taylor
Rayner
Cutler
Rich
McStay
Lester
McInerney
Cameron
Walker
Bailey
Mathieson
Barrett
Eagles
Starcevich
Bewick
Cox
Allison
Mayes
Keays
Bastinac

Sorry pulpdriver, didn't see this until Monday. Any issues that need attention quickly best to email media@lions.com.au

That's fine. Whoever was doing the feed realised anyway and it was fixed very quickly. I should have deleted or amended the post. Should have thought you'd be at the night enjoying yourself and not on bigfooty :thumbsu:

Hi Lions_Insider ... just wondering if the club keeps an eye on and chases up any well known celeb or sportsperson to be an ambassador for our club. Striking when the iron is hot sort of thing..

..in light of John Millman, (from Brisbane) defeating Roger Federer today in the US Open to go through to the qtr finals, has made me wonder how we choose our Ambassadors. John is now on the world news not just here in Aus. First Aussie through since Lleyton Hewitt in 2006.

This guy would be a huge example of not giving up, fighting on etc the type to typify our club.....have read his story of injuries and sleeping on airport floors. He is 29, which is late for a tennis player, nearly gave up but didn't, he perservered.

He's now going for the biggest paycheque of his career..$475,000. Absolutely rapt for the guy.

Hi Lions_Insider ... just wondering if the club keeps an eye on and chases up any well known celeb or sportsperson to be an ambassador for our club. Striking when the iron is hot sort of thing..

..in light of John Millman, (from Brisbane) defeating Roger Federer today in the US Open to go through to the qtr finals, has made me wonder how we choose our Ambassadors. John is now on the world news not just here in Aus. First Aussie through since Lleyton Hewitt in 2006.

This guy would be a huge example of not giving up, fighting on etc the type to typify our club.....have read his story of injuries and sleeping on airport floors. He is 29, which is late for a tennis player, nearly gave up but didn't, he perservered.

He's now going for the biggest paycheque of his career..$475,000. Absolutely rapt for the guy.

Good question.

The whole ambassador role probably isn't we have done a great job of in the past, with our results on the field also not helping position as us an attractive Club to be an ambassador of.

This year we have had Chris Lynn and Abby Coleman as our number one ticket holders, and they have been great. We have also done media opportunities with Jeff Horn before his big fight which performed well.

As our results pick up hopefully we can get more ambassadors on board!

Will see if John is interested in coming to games or training sometime in the future!

Fantastic, thanks Lions_Insider ....can only try.

Have seen where he loves soccer....that doesn't matter, he can follow both.......get him to our games a few times, give him hats to keep the sun from his eyes when he serves etc......and Bob's your uncle!;)

Hi Lions_Insider, can you please pass this message to Fages please, if he's got time? I know he sits on the games committee, and just wanted to share my thoughts.

With potential rule changes to improve the look of the game, to encourage free-flowing, high scoring football - the games committee is looking at ways to tweak the set up, with zones/interchange caps/increased goalsquares etc. However as AFL coaches are all very clever people, it won't be long before some people work out how to come up with new strategies to play defensive again, adjusting to the new rule changes.

Think outside the box - why not incentivise high scoring? 4 premiership points still up for grabs for every win. 1 bonus point for teams that score 100 or 120 points (or another arbitrary number) whether they win/lose/draw. Similar idea to the bonus point in some cricket tournaments or Super Rugby...to encourage teams to score. This way, teams will try to score more and be less inclined to play out low-scoring, grinding games. And better still - no other rule tweaks required!

Coaches who want to play defensive games can still do so if they choose - but they give up the opportunity for bonus points.

Now of course some people will complain that games may be played in different conditions, say if it's raining or windy then high scoring becomes more difficult...yes that is the case, but tends to even out across the length of the season. Doesn't stop cricket or rugby employing the bonus point.

Thanks.

Lions_Insider - why isn't the leading goalkicker no longer recognised with an official award at the Club Champion anymore?

Seems as though the award hasn't been recognised for a good 3 years now, which seems odd given the leading goalkicker is celebrated at most awards nights at clubs all around the country at every level including most other AFL clubs.

Generally, interested in the club's reasoning.

After going through the records it look like it hasn't been properly awarded at our Club Champs since 2006.

Plenty of other awards like Most Effective Tackler and Best Defender/Forward/Midfielder also haven't been included for a while.

I believe the main reason is an attempt to shorten the night and reduce the amount of awards.

Leading goal kicker is rewarded with inclusion on a plaque in the footy department. With the focus on selfless play I can't see it being included in our awards night again in the near future.

After going through the records it look like it hasn't been properly awarded at our Club Champs since 2006.

Plenty of other awards like Most Effective Tackler and Best Defender/Forward/Midfielder also haven't been included for a while.

I believe the main reason is an attempt to shorten the night and reduce the amount of awards.

Leading goal kicker is rewarded with inclusion on a plaque in the footy department. With the focus on selfless play I can't see it being included in our awards night again in the near future.
Appreciate the explanation :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say Lions_Insider, I found this article on the Lions website regarding "Our Brownlow History" in rather poor taste and disrespectful.

Just because the AFL won't recognise the whole club's collective records as one i.e. Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions, at no stage had I thought the Brisbane Lions were of the same view.

Take that article for example; the first four tables includes the All Time Brisbane Leading Vote Getters, Leading Vote Getters Year-by-Year, Most Votes in a Season and Top 10 Finishes as sole Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions players only (probably doesn't include the likes of Alistair Lynch, Chris Johnson and Martin Pike's Brownlow votes in their time at Fitzroy, but it does include say Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Nigel Lappin's votes as Brisbane Bears players etc. etc.).

And then in the depths of the article, a token Fitzroy table is contained.

As a unique MERGED club that has supporters represented by three distinct entities (Brisbane Bears, Fitzroy (pre 1997) and Brisbane Lions (post 1997), records such as those displayed in the article, particularly those that orginate in-house and represented by the club, should either have one set of records containing all three arms of the club as a collective or three distinct sets (Fitzroy 1897 - 1996 / Brisbane Bears 1987 - 1996 / Brisbane Lions 1997 - Current), but to have two sets i.e. Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions as one and Fitzroy as a separate set like some poor relation is bloody insulting to those of us that came and followed this club as descendants of Fitzroy and at the very least; I doubt many would ever have thought the club would so proactively do so as this article has so clearly done.

To be honest, the club's handling / inability to lobby the AFL so that either the club's official records (Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions) are represented either collectively as one or as a stand-alone entity representing Brisbane Lions (from 1997) has been a rather sore point for many Fitzroy, Brisbane Lions supporters. Why the Brisbane Bears records are not treated the same as Fitzroy's is beyond me? It really is insulting to many ex-Fitzroy fans that every time we pick up a Footy Record that our "records" are representative of a combined Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions is a joke and now that continues to the content on the Lions website.

The sooner the Brisbane Lions official records are just that (i.e. 1997 onwards) the better it will be to give a REAL representation of the Brisbane Lions Football Club and what it is that this club has achieved.

I really hope such feedback is taken seriously and records on the Lions website solely reflect the Brisbane Lions (1997 onwards) or if not include three entity's and promote the fact that the Brisbane Lions doesn't have just have three Brownlow medalists (well it only has two (Akermanis and Black) because Michael Voss was a Bear when he won his) but also has another 8 more (Bunton x 3, Smallhorn, Ryan, Ruthven, Murray and Quinlan), in addition to 11 Premierships.

Its a shame, because the Brownlow records of the three legends below comprise two Brisbane Lions players (although in actual fact; one, Simon Black) and one Fitzroy, yet none as the Brisbane Bears. For mine the pic below should either celebrate the Brisbane Lions 3 Brownlow medalists or the unique fact that a Brownlow was won at each distinct club.

brownlowboysweb1i32313.jpg

I must say Lions_Insider, I found this article on the Lions website regarding "Our Brownlow History" in rather poor taste and disrespectful.

Just because the AFL won't recognise the whole club's collective records as one i.e. Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions, at no stage had I thought the Brisbane Lions were of the same view.

Take that article for example; the first four tables includes the All Time Brisbane Leading Vote Getters, Leading Vote Getters Year-by-Year, Most Votes in a Season and Top 10 Finishes as sole Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions players only (probably doesn't include the likes of Alistair Lynch, Chris Johnson and Martin Pike's Brownlow votes in their time at Fitzroy, but it does include say Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Nigel Lappin's votes as Brisbane Bears players etc. etc.).

And then in the depths of the article, a token Fitzroy table is contained.

As a unique MERGED club that has supporters represented by three distinct entities (Brisbane Bears, Fitzroy (pre 1997) and Brisbane Lions (post 1997), records such as those displayed in the article, particularly those that orginate in-house and represented by the club, should either have one set of records containing all three arms of the club as a collective or three distinct sets (Fitzroy 1897 - 1996 / Brisbane Bears 1987 - 1996 / Brisbane Lions 1997 - Current), but to have two sets i.e. Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions as one and Fitzroy as a separate set like some poor relation is bloody insulting to those of us that came and followed this club as descendants of Fitzroy and at the very least; I doubt many would ever have thought the club would so proactively do so as this article has so clearly done.

To be honest, the club's handling / inability to lobby the AFL so that either the club's official records (Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions) are represented either collectively as one or as a stand-alone entity representing Brisbane Lions (from 1997) has been a rather sore point for many Fitzroy, Brisbane Lions supporters. Why the Brisbane Bears records are not treated the same as Fitzroy's is beyond me? It really is insulting to many ex-Fitzroy fans that every time we pick up a Footy Record that our "records" are representative of a combined Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions is a joke and now that continues to the content on the Lions website.

The sooner the Brisbane Lions official records are just that (i.e. 1997 onwards) the better it will be to give a REAL representation of the Brisbane Lions Football Club and what it is that this club has achieved.

I really hope such feedback is taken seriously and records on the Lions website solely reflect the Brisbane Lions (1997 onwards) or if not include three entity's and promote the fact that the Brisbane Lions doesn't have just have three Brownlow medalists (well it only has two (Akermanis and Black) because Michael Voss was a Bear when he won his) but also has another 8 more (Bunton x 3, Smallhorn, Ryan, Ruthven, Murray and Quinlan), in addition to 11 Premierships.

Its a shame, because the Brownlow records of the three legends below comprise two Brisbane Lions players (although in actual fact; one, Simon Black) and one Fitzroy, yet none as the Brisbane Bears. For mine the pic below should either celebrate the Brisbane Lions 3 Brownlow medalists or the unique fact that a Brownlow was won at each distinct club.

brownlowboysweb1i32313.jpg

Hi Dylan,

Understand where you are coming from. It wasn't written by a staff member of the Club and wasn't intended to cause a divide between the Brisbane and Fitzroy history.

We have been pretty clear on our stance regarding our Club history and stats as our Chairman Andrew Wellington reiterated in one of his Ask the Chairman Q&As:

"We have lobbied since day one of the merger with the AFL to have our statistics merged to better reflect our ‘one’ Club. This request has been broached with different AFL administrations over the past couple of decades but has sadly received the same response.

We will continue to push this in the hope that our records can be more accurately reflected in AFL publications in the future.

Internally all our recognition of statistics and records are merged as you will notice on our official website. We always recognise our Club as having won 11 premierships and having eight Brownlow Medallists. We recognise the likes of Marcus Ashcroft and Chris Johnson as one-Club players."

The AFL's rational has been that you can’t merge stats when the two previous teams (Bears/Fitzroy) played against each other.

There's been seven approaches to the AFL to get this changed and I'm sure it will be revisited again in the future.

The Brownlow article didn't do a great job of merging the stats. Apologies for that.

The picture was chosen simply because of the fact it had multiple Brownlow winners from our Club in it. On our photo records we didn't have any other pictures from Brownlow that reflects our Club history more.

All of our Club records recognise the Brisbane Lions and then combined with the Bears and Fitzroy: http://www.lions.com.au/club/history/brisbane-lions-history/club-records

Great response Lions_Insider and appreciate the clarification.

Out of the curiosity has the club requested / considered just having the Brisbane Lions (1997-current) records recognised in AFL publications with Fitzroy and the Bears as two distinct records.

Appreciate our records are somewhat messy, but I would love to know what on earth the AFL's reasoning is to exclude Fitzroy's records, but include Brisbane Bears to the Brisbane Lions records. The cleanest option IMO is to just have the Brisbane Lions records listed from 1997 onwards.

Great to see the club continues to push this agenda.:thumbsu:

Great response Lions_Insider and appreciate the clarification.

Out of the curiosity has the club requested / considered just having the Brisbane Lions (1997-current) records recognised in AFL publications with Fitzroy and the Bears as two distinct records.

Appreciate our records are somewhat messy, but I would love to know what on earth the AFL's reasoning is to exclude Fitzroy's records, but include Brisbane Bears to the Brisbane Lions records. The cleanest option IMO is to just have the Brisbane Lions records listed from 1997 onwards.

Great to see the club continues to push this agenda.:thumbsu:

After asking around, I don't think the Club has ever requested or considered that.

It is a bit of a mess...especially when you have players who played for Fitzroy/Bears and the Lions. We will always recognise Alastair Lynch as a 306-game player for our Club (120 Fitzroy, 32 Bears, 154 Brisbane Lions).

Just a query Lions_Insider and I've mentioned this before elsewhere

Have the Brisbane Lions ever thought about wearing the red FFC logo jumper if they are drawn against Fitzroy's traditional rival Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon / night in Melbourne?

Maybe with the Fitzroy Football Club senior side (who also play in the red FFC logo jumper) in the VAFA playing the curtain raiser before the game.

It happened in 2003 and was one of the best days of football I've attended since Fitzroy left the AFL. Saw some faces that day in the crowd I hadn't seen for a quite a while at an AFL match.

Could be a real opportunity to celebrate rich Fitzroy's AFL history each year, with some historical society events and other Fitzroy greats involved such as tossing the coin, in the rooms before and after the match, player reunions, interviews on Channel 7 and so on. Fox Footy coud televise some of the great Fitzroy vs. Collingwood clashes of the past. It would be great promotion of the club in Victoria, especially to the Fitzroy supporter base which is still out there.

Just as an extra, Fitzroy vs. University Blacks (the University of the VFL days) in the curtain raiser would be very fitting. Both play in Premier B of the VAFA in 2019 and whenever they are scheduled to meet will be the first time both clubs have played a match against one another since Round 17 1914 (August 22nd 1914 to be exact).

Last edited:
Just a query Lions_Insider and I've mentioned this before elsewhere

Have the Brisbane Lions ever thought about wearing the red FFC logo jumper if they are drawn against Fitzroy's traditional rival Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon / night in Melbourne?

Maybe with the Fitzroy Football Club senior side (who also play in the red FFC logo jumper) in the VAFA playing the curtain raiser before the game.

It happened in 2003 and was one of the best days of football I've attended since Fitzroy left the AFL. Saw some faces that day in the crowd I hadn't seen for a quite a while at an AFL match.

Could be a real opportunity to celebrate rich Fitzroy's AFL history each year, with some historical society events and other Fitzroy greats involved such as tossing the coin, in the rooms before and after the match, player reunions, interviews on Channel 7 and so on. Fox Footy coud televise some of the great Fitzroy vs. Collingwood clashes of the past. It would be great promotion of the club in Victoria, especially to the Fitzroy supporter base which is still out there.

Just as an extra, Fitzroy vs. University Blacks (the University of the VFL days) in the curtain raiser would be very fitting. Both play in Premier B of the VAFA in 2019 and whenever they are scheduled to meet will be the first time both clubs have played a match against one another since Round 17 1914 (August 22nd 1914 to be exact).

Hi Roylion,

Without giving too much away, there's a very good chance we will be wearing a special one-off guernsey in Melbourne in 2019...

More details on this will be released next year.

A curtain raiser would be slightly more difficult to organise, and it would require help/agreement from the home side in Melbourne. The AFL has relaxed the pre-game rules so it is a possibility. It's a great idea though and I'm sure it would be very popular amongst the Lions faithful.

Hi Roylion,

Without giving too much away, there's a very good chance we will be wearing a special one-off guernsey in Melbourne in 2019...

More details on this will be released next year.

A curtain raiser would be slightly more difficult to organise, and it would require help/agreement from the home side in Melbourne. The AFL has relaxed the pre-game rules so it is a possibility. It's a great idea though and I'm sure it would be very popular amongst the Lions faithful.

Sounds great. Hopefully it's the red FFC jumper. I only mentioned the curtain raiser with Fitzroy in the VAFA because it has been done before (also before a Brisbane - Collingwood game in 2003) and was such a success last time. Both the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy sides wearing the same guernsey adds to the atmosphere. Two clubs united by a special bond.

I'm just surprised that nothing similar has been attempted in the fifteen years since that game.

Gotta say Lions_Insider, I'm more than a bit miffed that the September Member system has been scrapped. I feel a bit conned actually.

When it was first announced it was basically sold to us as a yearly insurance policy that would guarantee you priority access to a grand final ticket, and that it was a first in best served thing, i.e. if you signed up for it from year one you were at the front of the queue.

And let's face it, those of us who have been paying the extra 30-40 a year or so for the last decade (or however long it's been going) have done so over that time knowing that our chances of making finals that year, let alone the grand final were slim, but kept doing so partially out of good faith but also on the assumption that one day the worm would eventually turn and that we'd preserve our place in the queue for when that happened.

Now, just as the on-field fortunes of the club now look like they are improving, the system appears to have been abolished, and all the "equity" us September members have paid into the system ($300-400 or so each over a decade) just vanishes into nothingness and we face the pretty terrifying prospect of missing out on a grand final ticket should the team make it in the near future. We would have been better off saving our money to pay scalpers for grand final tickets.

It feels a little bit like paying into a life insurance policy (with loyalty bonuses) for 10 years only to be just randomly told that it wont be honoured.

Really, really disappointed and feeling totally ripped off.

CRUCIAL EDIT: It’s possible that this is a misunderstanding/lost in translation situation.

Follow up post here.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/58146636/

Last edited:
Gotta say Lions_Insider, I'm more than a bit miffed that the September Member system has been scrapped. I feel a bit conned actually.

When it was first announced it was basically sold to us as a yearly insurance policy that would guarantee you priority access to a grand final ticket, and that it was a first in best served thing, i.e. if you signed up for it from year one you were at the front of the queue.

And let's face it, those of us who have been paying the extra 30 a year or so for the last decade (or however long it's been going) have done so over that time knowing that our chances of making finals that year, let alone the grand final were slim, but kept doing so partially out of good faith but also on the assumption that one day the worm would eventually turn and that we'd preserve our place in the queue for when that happened.

Now, just as the on-field fortunes of the club now look like they are improving, the system appears to have been abolished, and all the "equity" us September members have paid into the system ($300 or so each over a decade) just vanishes into nothingness and we face the pretty terrifying prospect of missing out on a grand final ticket should the team make it in the near future.

Really, really disappointed and feeling totally ripped off.
Didn’t realise it had been scrapped despite also paying the September member / donation, but if it has, pretty piss poor by the club.

Perhaps the club can comp my membership for the next few years to make up for it.

Didn’t realise it had been scrapped despite also paying the September member / donation, but if it has, pretty piss poor by the club.

Yeah you should have an email this afternoon confirming it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back