Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t see what’s in it for QLD to pay for a junket for Eddie and co.
Major events bring tourism dollars to the state.
That's why the WA Government paid for the entire Optus Stadium themselves without any federal funding, and as a result bring Chelsea, Ed Sheeran, etc, to town.

I just don’t see what’s in it for QLD to pay for a junket for Eddie and co.

Tourist dollars baby - hotels, taxi fares, dinners, sight-seeing. Exposure for the club, filling our coffers with their dollars at the game, increased advertising revenue opportunities, memberships, attendance for the next game, showcasing the product.

I think it's great - I think it's a great way to contribute to the club, getting value for Govt investment.

Yeah, but why not Vic Lions fans?

Steady on TBD - one step at a time :)

The Pies love the idea that they are #1 in the AFL market, I have no problem using that to our benefit. Yes, it reinforces their views of self-importance but it works, for now, in our favour.

There's an economic reality that needs to be addressed when it comes to spending public money, as much as we might all wish that weren't the case.

If the Easter Thursday game at the Gabba gets entrenched in the footballing public's psyche it could become a regular weekend away trip ... and if you also schedule a Good Coast home game for the same weekend even better. You never know with a bit of cooperative planning maybe a Broncos v Storm and a Roar v Victory/Heart in non-competing timeslots?

I’m probably sounding mildly facetious or whiny but I am curious a little about about the practical specifics of this arrangement and if it is exclusively tied to Pies fans when we do have a perpetual contingent of Vic Lions fans who would love to have a pathway to get to more Brisbane home games. And from a government perspective, tourist dollars are tourist dollars whether the person is wearing black and white or maroon, blue and gold.

Not gonna rant and rave, but it’s a somewhat curious thing to me as someone with a policy background.

I thought the Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal
Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal Goal
graphic was a bit over exuberant for opposition goals. Part of the home ground advantage should be a lot less fanfare and excitement for the visitors.

When I first got the Gabba about 10 years ago (being from Vic) and heard the announcer say "Ok Lions fans, please welcome, the Port Adelaide Power to the Gabba" as they ran out... I nearly fell backwards off my seat, it is essential a hostile reception is received to those visiting your home ground. LOL

I’m probably sounding mildly facetious or whiny but I am curious a little about about the practical specifics of this arrangement and if it is exclusively tied to Pies fans when we do have a perpetual contingent of Vic Lions fans who would love to have a pathway to get to more Brisbane home games. And from a government perspective, tourist dollars are tourist dollars whether the person is wearing black and white or maroon, blue and gold.

Not gonna rant and rave, but it’s a somewhat curious thing to me as someone with a policy background.

I would suggest that the hard sell on a ministerial and departmental angle is made considerably easier when the words "the highest profile club in the land" are uttered.

I don't disagree with your point re:Lions fans.

But the simple reality is that a Government is going to need to make every mile they can out of it - and if the sell involves benefiting heavy hitters, irrespective of the industry, that sell is always easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first got the Gabba about 10 years ago (being from Vic) and heard the announcer say "Ok Lions fans, please welcome, the Port Adelaide Power to the Gabba" as they ran out... I nearly fell backwards off my seat, it is essential a hostile reception is received to those visiting your home ground. LOL

Just luring them into a false sense of security before BAM: Something

There's also the angle of the sellout. You have to provide a certain number of seats for the opposition - so, there is a limit to how many Lions we can actually have in the ground, however much we might wish to have max capacity as all Lions.

There's also the angle of the sellout. You have to provide a certain number of seats for the opposition - so, there is a limit to how many Lions we can actually have in the ground, however much we might wish to have max capacity as all Lions.

I’d be interested in what that actual quota is. Also interested in how easy or hard it is for Lions fans to get seats at Kardinia Park.

Bringing Ed and Co makes perfect sense. The are big mouth pieces and are influential people, having a cordial relationship and them taking a favorable view of Brisbane Lions footy would have it's benefits. Ed seems like the sort of person who would be susceptible to token gestures and flattery, given it is his ego that motors him.

The thinking behind it is moreso that it's tied to an interstate club that can bring interstate tourists.

This year it's Collingwood, next year it might be Collingwood and another 'big' Melbourne club. The Pies are essentially the only team this year in terms of high drawing clubs, so it's Collingwood they worked with.

I’m probably sounding mildly facetious or whiny but I am curious a little about about the practical specifics of this arrangement and if it is exclusively tied to Pies fans when we do have a perpetual contingent of Vic Lions fans who would love to have a pathway to get to more Brisbane home games.

I’d be interested in what that actual quota is. Also interested in how easy or hard it is for Lions fans to get seats at Kardinia Park.

Yeah, that'd be worth knowing. Hazarding a guess, as with all things in the AFL, it would be malleable and open to adjustment and revision :p

Can we not have what is a great thing for our footy club dragged down with bullshit?

IT'S A GOOD THING THAT'S HAPPENING AND CAN OPEN THE DOOR TO OTHER GOOD THINGS HAPPENING.

Sheesh......

So the junket was necessary to secure the Collingwood game?

If so, just shows how much the inmates run the asylum.

AFL could show some leadership and say “if you want ANZAC Day and Queen’s Birthday every year, not to mention disproportionately preferential timeslots and free to air coverage, then you can be the supporting act in another club’s blockbuster”.

Can we not have what is a great thing for our footy club dragged down with bullshit?

IT'S A GOOD THING THAT'S HAPPENING AND CAN OPEN THE DOOR TO OTHER GOOD THINGS HAPPENING.

Sheesh......

It’s just a side discussion on a forum. It’s not dragging down anything. Mods will move it to the LionsInsider discussion thread at some point too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back