Asking for your old job back after resigning

Remove this Banner Ad

asithgftoc

Draftee
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all, looking for some advice.

In early December I left a job that I'd been at for 18 months, left on good terms and was generally regarded as a good employee. I left this job to take up another position which had a salary increase of around 20%.

After a few weeks at my new job I really don't like the place. It also requires overtime pretty much every day, which isn't paid. The workload and therefore the stress is higher than my previous position and the extra $ I make just isn't worth it in my mind.

I'm strongly considering asking my previous employer if I can return to my old position. Obviously I would feel and look like a bit of a tool for doing this, but I'm happy to cop it if it means being back in a job which gives me the work/life balance I'm after, even if it means making less $. I also know they haven't started looking for my replacement yet.

There's obviously positives and negatives for them in this scenario as well. Having me back would save them advertising, interviewing candidates and training somebody new. On the other hand they may tell me to get nicked as they know I'm most likely not keen to stay longer term.

Has anyone ever asked for an old job back after only being gone a short time? What would be the best way to go about it? Appreciate any help that could be provided :)

In early December I left a job that I'd been at for 18 months, left on good terms and was generally regarded as a good employee. I left this job to take up another position which had a salary increase of around 20%.

After a few weeks at my new job I really don't like the place. It also requires overtime pretty much every day, which isn't paid. The workload and therefore the stress is higher than my previous position and the extra $ I make just isn't worth it in my mind.

I'm strongly considering asking my previous employer if I can return to my old position. Obviously I would feel and look like a bit of a tool for doing this, but I'm happy to cop it if it means being back in a job which gives me the work/life balance I'm after, even if it means making less $. I also know they haven't started looking for my replacement yet.

There's obviously positives and negatives for them in this scenario as well. Having me back would save them advertising, interviewing candidates and training somebody new. On the other hand they may tell me to get nicked as they know I'm most likely not keen to stay longer term.

Has anyone ever asked for an old job back after only being gone a short time? What would be the best way to go about it? Appreciate any help that could be provided :)

If it offers you the work life balance why are you unlikely to stay for the longer term? What's the point of asking for it back if you're just going to be looking elsewhere anyway, as you've intimated?

You may have left on good terms, but would it still be good terms if you left for the second time?

I've never had to do it, but my advice to you would be to think about it in the context of the longer term. Where would you like to be in 5 years time and will your new role help you to get there?

You sound like you are only weighing up the instant gratification impacts (ie immediate payrise vs current work/life balance) but to get where you want to be career wise, there will always be times when you need to just "suck it up" and make the sacrifices for short periods of time (whether it be low pay, long hours, crappy work, etc). It is worth it in the long run when you reach your goals.

Also remember that there are not just 2 options either. Outside of your current job and your old job, there are thousands of other jobs out there. Chase the ones that will help you get to where you want to be.

Good luck:thumbsu:

In all seriousness ask for your old job back. Your new one sucks and is shitty in pretty much every aspect.

* IT. Do it. You left on good terms and were a valued asset. Make yourself happy and at ease.

Contact your old manager, ask them if there are any positions available in your team and you're interested in coming back, and should anything be available, you'd like that opportunity.

As a hirer, I never re-employed people.

I figure they left for a reason that seemed good for them, who's to say that reason won't come again.

Look elsewhere or, better still, start keeping a record of your hours. It can be a good negotiating tool when pay is discussed.

And keep looking for another gig - in fact, never stop doing that. It's the best way of knowing what's out there and what you're worth.

Contact your old manager, ask them if there are any positions available in your team and you're interested in coming back, and should anything be available, you'd like that opportunity.
I agree.

Especially as the poster said they left the job on good terms.

I've never had to do it, but my advice to you would be to think about it in the context of the longer term. Where would you like to be in 5 years time and will your new role help you to get there?

You sound like you are only weighing up the instant gratification impacts (ie immediate payrise vs current work/life balance) but to get where you want to be career wise, there will always be times when you need to just "suck it up" and make the sacrifices for short periods of time (whether it be low pay, long hours, crappy work, etc). It is worth it in the long run when you reach your goals.

Also remember that there are not just 2 options either. Outside of your current job and your old job, there are thousands of other jobs out there. Chase the ones that will help you get to where you want to be.

Good luck:thumbsu:
Planning long term often changes the perspective dramatically.

Are ex-employees looking to return to work for you a frequent occurence?

Yes, but not looking to work "for me".

I worked in various large mining companies over the years.

My experience was the reason they left in the first place still existed and you generally just got the same dissatisfied worker back. There were, of course, exceptions but they were in the minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, what reasons did you give for resigning in the first place? You'll need to explain why this isn't a problem any more.

Ask yourself if you are really prepared to stay there for a decent stint, even if other good opportunities come up. If you got the job back, then buggered off again soon after, that is a bridge burned and it may harm your future career.

And the words used by Cruyff14 are spot on - asking for your old job back directly is a bit - presumptuous. If they really want you back in the old role and it's yet to be filled, I'm sure they'll offer it.

Finally, consider any 'face saving' that may need to be done. Would your leaving and coming back make the manager look a bit silly to other stakeholders (higher management, direct reports, etc)? Offer to work with them on any measures to minimise any possible disharmony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back