Multiplat Assassins Creed Odyssey

Remove this Banner Ad

That's crazy! Are there a few grindy ones? Not sure I can be bothered going for platinum if so. Which is a shame as Origins was fairly straight forward to platinum.
The final achievement I got was on the starting island of Kephallonia. Its called Stinkeye and you have to retrieve Cyclops eye from a random goat on the island. You just keep killing goats until RNG drops the eye. I killed goats mindlessly for at least a couple of hours one day lol

Unveiling all sub regions of Greece was tough because there's a few random spots that don't get greyed out or are hard to spot the grey, I can list them if you want. I ended up getting my final exploration at Typhon's Revenge which is a tiny volcanic like landmass off a small island. Completing underwater objectives was also hard because there's a few of them inland in the middle of a lake for example. But I cheated and followed a guide for that one.

I reckon Xenia's questline 'Pirate's life for me' was also hard because you had to use tablets with map clues and find objects within them. In the end though the eagle makes exploration a lot easier even though I played with almost nothing on my HUD.

In Origins whenever I went to any location of historical importance I would look up current ruins or any historical drawings and compare. Often there was significant attention to detail. So when I made it to the palace of Knossos I had to do the same. The game's setting is nearly 2500 years ago and the Minoans fell nearly 1000 years before that so naturally the ruins are in much worse state today than how they appear in game and clearly the game artists had a bit of creative license to build on what is left today. The most famous image you can find is of these pillars with a restored fresco.

View attachment 577856

Assuming the same attention to detail would have been paid I spent a while trying to find where this might be. I think I found it minus the fresco.

View attachment 577857

The setting of Odyssey is growing on me. I really enjoyed the New Kingdom/Hellenistic setting of Origins and as I've mentioned before it is right at the start of one of my favourite moments of history (which would still be an absolutely perfect setting for an AC game and I though that's where it would go next), but the way Greek mythology can be included really works. Being able to explore such a massive and iconic region is really special. Another nice little attention to detail is the inclusion of the Anatolian coastline to the east which could have just been easily ignored in the ocean sandbox. Where the hell is Mount Olympus though? I looks like it is just outside the mountainous boundary to the north which geographically would be the Vorus Mountains, but Mount Olympus should be in Thessaly.

Any native Greek speakers here? I'm finding the pronunciation of Greek words in the game fascinating and would love to know if that's the correct way to say them. For example, in English we would phonetically say Pythagoras like Py-thag-or-as. In the game the Greek pronunciation is slightly different, Py-tha-gor-as. Crete in English, Kreet, in the game, Kree-te. Arcadia in English, Ar-kay-dee-a, in game, Ar-ka-dee-a. etc etc. Subtle differences but makes a massive difference to how something sounds I think.
Greek here. Yes, the dialogue is Greek and I can understand what the people are saying to each other - conversations make sense. It is an incredible game, I am only about 5 hours in.

So I went to pick up my new copy from JB this arvo from that deal this week. I hand over my ID and the guy goes away for what seemed like 45 minutes and comes back with a copy of the game. But it's open with one of those JB yellow stickers on it.

Me - 'Uhh what's this?'
Knob jockey - 'It's your game.'
Me - 'But it's been opened'
KJ - 'Don't worry it works and stuff, it's just been opened'
Me - 'I want a sealed copy please'
KJ - 'Why do you want a sealed copy?' (this is when I begin to fume inside)
Me - 'Um because that's what I paid for?'
KJ - 'Oh well I don't know if we have any sealed copies (wtf?), I could have a check out the back'
Me - 'That would be fantastic'

Then he looks straight behind him at the counter and finds a sealed copy and hands it to me, but has this look on his face like I'm the one whose been difficult. Absolute *silly people.

Last edited:
So I went to pick up my new copy from JB this arvo from that deal this week. I hand over my ID and the guy goes away for what seemed like 45 minutes and comes back with a copy of the game. But it's open with one of those JB yellow stickers on it.

Me - 'Uhh what's this?'
Knob jockey - 'It's your game.'
Me - 'But it's been opened'
KJ - 'Don't worry it works and stuff, it's just been opened'
Me - 'I want a sealed copy please'
KJ - 'Why do you want a sealed copy?' (this is when I begin to fume inside)
Me - 'Um because that's what I paid for?'
KJ - 'Oh well I don't know if we have any sealed copies (wtf?), I might have to check out the back'
Me - 'That would be fantastic'

Then he looks straight behind him at the counter and finds a sealed copy and hands it to me, but has this look on his face like I'm the one whose been difficult. Absolute ****silly people.
Wtf? I've never seen anything like this before

Jumped on for a few hours today to clean up and jump into the DLC stuff and noticed the level cap has been lifted, more ship upgrades and no longer needing ancient tablets. I don’t mind this as if you got side tracked and did everything except what you were meant to then you would cap out at 50 pretty early in the story. However the annoying part is I was upgrading all of my gear sets to max and now I have to upgrade them again.

I like the mastery addition thing so later I will respec so I can get back all the points I spent on wasteful stuff and dump them into mastery skills. I chucked the 10 left over points I already had into two handed blade weapons, and since I’ve based all of my gear around two handed damage and crit chance/damage I am just destroying everything.

I only had one upgrade left and was waiting until I found the tablets and noticed I don’t need them anymore. Same for the new upgrades. Not 100% sure if they required for any of the earlier ship upgrade levels but it looks like they’ve been removed and the upgrades only require the regular materials. They’re pretty expensive though, the new hull upgrade was like 39k drachmas, nearly 3k iron and whatever else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats for my 100% clear. I'm not sure if the question marks count but I did them all anyway. The worst part was getting all the polemarch seals as I didn't get to Athens until about midway through my play through or Sparta until about 75 hours. That grind was just unnecessary padding. I don't know what "Abilities Acquired 1%" means. I did re-respec to get rid of the points I put into things I didn't use to load up on mastery points but I still would have a lot more than 1%.

Now on to the DLC.

acoPlayed.PNG

Interesting point. At first I was like “ackthually the hidden blade first came from Egypt” but then I stumbled across this: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Blade

Then in the history it says that it was first used by Darius to kill his father Xerxes I. Who was Xerxes I? Well, for everyone who has seen 300 he was the Persian king at the Battle of Thermopylae that Leonidas, king of Sparta, was also at. In the trailer the hero has a blade of Leonidas. I don’t think this blade is the hidden blade but we’re starting to get some connections. Darius (proto Assassin?) killed Xerxes I in 465BCE and this is set in 431BCE (according to trailer) so it’s one generation later. I’m dubious because according to Origins the Brotherhood does not yet exist however the Order of the Ancients (who become the Templars) might. I’m betting that Xerxes was a member of the Order and in Greece are now running the Delian League (Athens).

/probablywayoff

giphy.gif

Almost.

Cool to see how much history is woven into fantasy. Artaxerxes had me confused at first but it was a neat little nod considering the content of the Legacy of the First Blade DLC. It makes sense now and less confusing once I worked out the cool dude from the Legacy of the First Blade DLC is using a pseudonym. It's not real spoilers if you're familiar with the historical events but I won't elaborate just in case.

Finished episode one of Legacy of the First Blade. Now to wait for episode two. It was kind of short, maybe 2-3 hours, but feels like an introduction. At this rate in 12 months this DLC and the Atlantis stuff will probably add on about 20 hours which would be fantastic for anyone who doesn't get into the game until around then and to do it all in one hit. The only thing I didn't like narrative wise with this DLC was that it unlocks rather early in the story. I purposely left it until after I had finished the main game and given the enormity of the new story and characters I think it would have been better for the dialogue to reflect a finished based game.

Open world maps like that with no loading screens between areas are always going to have slightly longer loading times. Still, they have nothing on The Witcher 3.

Anyone here have Witcher 3 on PC running from an SSD? Does it make a difference?

Anyone here have Witcher 3 on PC running from an SSD? Does it make a difference?

Yes and Yes. Initial loading time about 10 seconds, possibly shorter, anything after that like death or fast travel around 5-10 tops. At a guesstimate AC Odyssey takes me about 15-20 seconds for initial load and around 10'ish on fast travel. SSDs are a godsend and hopefully the next consoles offer enough bandwidth to fully utilising one if they aren't shipped with one already.

Yes and Yes. Initial loading time about 10 seconds, anything after that like death or fast travel around 5-10. AC Odyssey takes me about 15-20 seconds for initial load and around 10'ish on fast travel. SSDs are a godsend and hopefully the next consoles offer enough bandwidth to fully utilising one if they aren't shipped with one already.

Thanks mate :)

Have it on the backlog on PS4 but its relatively cheap on the key resellers, probably worth buying again then.

Thanks mate :)

Have it on the backlog on PS4 but its relatively cheap on the key resellers, probably worth buying again then.

It's regularly on sale pretty cheap on Steam if you don't want to risk a key site. Definitely worth it on your machine! Recommend getting a Xbox controller or something if you don't have one already for a game like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back