flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
With 4 AA's in the middle plus one who easily could be I think we let the oppo catch us.
With Hutch basically taking out the oppo's current damage player, whether he be a fwd back or mid, that is all the defense mindset we need.

Redden is the alternative and preferred option to Hutchings.

Bringing in another young tagger to "replace" Hutchings, like Ainsworth for instance is detrimental to our new on ball division.

I'd prefer to phase that role out and for our midfield to go head to head with the opposition. Kelly, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed + Redden is plenty of firepower.

Redden switches to a run with role to shut down a damaging opposition player if we need, otherwise we just back in the boys.

The Hutchings position shouldn't even exist. A defensive forward role to match up on creative HBF's like Saad, Johannison etc on the other hand, should.

^ That's Venables. Someone who isn't a liability when playing forward.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He's definitely not a FF.
Brander was a FF and CHF all his junior years and when 17 he was tipped to be possibly number 1 draft pick. His final year of juniors, clubs asked him to play full back/centre half back, to see if he had versatility.

So he was a FF first, everything else later.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah i agree with the Redden to tag over Hutchings.

Redden is more solid and with a bigger frame can take the best mid on and can be an actual ball winner unlike Hutchings.
Plus he has a role when there isn’t anyone to tag, he can still play as a genuine attacking option.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Neither is Hutchings
Hutch is pretty quick .
Even though saad got 2m on him in the last essendon game he kept up and didnt lose ground . I couldnt see any other of our forward keep up with saad bar cripps and petch

Cameron could do the forward tagging role if he developed a big enough tank .
Quick , aggressive tackler and much better forward than hutch

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He’s more nimble than redden imo
He doesn’t do the down and dirty stuff at the bottom of packs that Redden does.
I’d say that next season Hutchings get only the jobs on the likes of Saad
He hasn’t got the body strength for the likes of Dusty and Fyffe
Not sure that we need to worry about many others with our attacking midfield set to outrun most other midfielders head to head.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
He doesn’t do the down and dirty stuff at the bottom of packs that Redden does.
I’d say that next season Hutchings get only the jobs on the likes of Saad
He hasn’t got the body strength for the likes of Dusty and Fyffe
Not sure that we need to worry about many others with our attacking midfield set to outrun most other midfielders head to head.
There is no reason why hutch cant play in our team as a tagger . We just have to choose his targets better and if there isnt one that suits him then he doesnt play .
He was a massive part of us winning the flag last year .
The player in red hot form during the finals sidebottom was completely nulified by hutch in the GF

But that is his type - outside player he doest have to follow into stoppages .

Sidebottom
Whitfield
Houli
Mcluggage
Saad
Duncan

So effectively damaging players who dont play forward or on ball

Outlaws

Rookie
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
There is no reason why hutch cant play in our team as a tagger . We just have to choose his targets better and if there isnt one that suits him then he doesnt play .
He was a massive part of us winning the flag last year .
The player in red hot form during the finals sidebottom was completely nulified by hutch in the GF

But that is his type - outside player he doest have to follow into stoppages .

Sidebottom
Whitfield
Houli
Mcluggage
Saad
Duncan

So effectively damaging players who dont play forward or on ball
MC doesn't have the gut to make the call each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I love the comments.

2 Extra wins would be us in a GF or a flag.

Two extra wins in this years h&a would see us with Minor premiership, a home qualifying final and almost certainly in the Grand Final given our record of making GF every year we finish top two.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting article, a bit jizzy for mine, we were outplayed and outcoached, need to improve in a few areas this season. The competition is red hot and we need to be up to it, apart from just adding TK to the mix as though he will save us from ourselves? A couple of other mids (and other players) need to pull their fingers out, the backline needs a shake-up, the coaches need to be rewired and given a good wake-up call, otherwise this whole TK deal will just be another jizz-fest that went south... :oops:

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting article, a bit jizzy for mine, we were outplayed and outcoached, need to improve in a few areas this season. The competition is red hot and we need to be up to it, apart from just adding TK to the mix as though he will save us from ourselves? A couple of other mids (and other players) need to pull their fingers out, the backline needs a shake-up, the coaches need to be rewired and given a good wake-up call, otherwise this whole TK deal will just be another jizz-fest that went south... :oops:
And my last jizz-fest that went south was NOT pretty.

Tim Kelly, 3 inside bulls AND Spider Everitt wouldn't have won us the flag this year 🚽

We weren't switched on. Majority of the year we either won fairly unconvincingly or got completely destroyed and outplayed.

I refute Claims that Kelly would've won us anything, just like having him doesn't automatically mean we'll improve next year either. It should, but no guarantees.

Rioli Gone. Kennedy another year closer to the retirement village and will likely drop off again. Hurn due to start slowing as well.

Team needs to be ruthless and switched on before anything else.

Last edited:

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Kellys inclusion will definitely help our contested ball winning

Way too much of the heavy hauling last year was left to Yeo and Shuey

And though I love Sheeds attacking edge, would it kill him to tackle a bit more? As opposed to throwing an arm out at an opponent half assed like he normally does

Remove this Banner Ad

Back