Analysis Assessing the Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been saying for a few years that we have been obsessed with talls and midfielders - where all good teams start - has been an afterthought. It also seems like our midfield coaching hasn't been that good.

With limited list sizes it is dangerous to be so unbalanced.

Recent years we have carried some spots that which effectively reduced our list (Rioli for 2 years, Veneables) and losing some early to concussion hasn't helped either.

All that combined with rule changes hasn't helped. 6-6-6 has meant that Cripps can't tear inter the square like he did up to the rule change giving us an extra at the bounce. The Stand rule has killed off our zoning when we didn't have the ball as the man on the mark just gets run by with no pressure.

Our mids also seem to just bomb the ball into the fwd line hoping that one of the talls mark it - and we invariably have more players flying for it than the opposition and they spoil each other allowing them to have the loose defender run it out.

Kennedy doesn't have that leap any more and Allen has been injured. It is too easy to pick off and teams KNOW it is coming. Surely the Mids should demand a lead to kick to. Maybe play Ryan as a lead up (he does it occasionally)

(I realise some of the above isn't midfield which is what this thread is about)

I've been saying for a few years that we have been obsessed with talls and midfielders - where all good teams start - has been an afterthought. It also seems like our midfield coaching hasn't been that good.

With limited list sizes it is dangerous to be so unbalanced.

Recent years we have carried some spots that which effectively reduced our list (Rioli for 2 years, Veneables) and losing some early to concussion hasn't helped either.

All that combined with rule changes hasn't helped. 6-6-6 has meant that Cripps can't tear inter the square like he did up to the rule change giving us an extra at the bounce. The Stand rule has killed off our zoning when we didn't have the ball as the man on the mark just gets run by with no pressure.

Our mids also seem to just bomb the ball into the fwd line hoping that one of the talls mark it - and we invariably have more players flying for it than the opposition and they spoil each other allowing them to have the loose defender run it out.

Kennedy doesn't have that leap any more and Allen has been injured. It is too easy to pick off and teams KNOW it is coming. Surely the Mids should demand a lead to kick to. Maybe play Ryan as a lead up (he does it occasionally)

(I realise some of the above isn't midfield which is what this thread is about)
The fact you've identified this more succinctly than our football department shows how bad our football department is (or how good you are 🤔)and indicates the football department needs some change too. This should have been identified and corrected when the stand rule was introduced immediately. 2 years on and they still don't seem to have grasped the concept.

Gaff,Sheed,Reddan. How slow do we want to be in the guts? West tries hard; Clark tries hard.
can we put Yo to half back? Yeh i know its a standard BF/WCE joke; but he can tackle [hard] hes quick and a decent mark,
The unfortunate part of having NN in the guts is that WC have developed a lazy midfield who cant tackle,chase or man up.
People complain about the poor delivery into the forward line; i complain about NO delivery into the forward line.Our lumbering midfield play ring a ring a rosie handball [often 1m to a stationary target} instead of just getting it forward at any cost.JD is hitting form and trying his guts out often 2-3 on 1. Why dont we get it forward quickly and at least give him a 50-50 chance.
-It surprises me how our coaching staff dont seem to focus at all on the 1%ers.Soccering the ball is a legitimate tactic,if your sitting under an incoming kick and the ump is calling touched why take possession under extreme pressure? Tap to space or where we have numbers.If its wet we dont need four defenders up for the spoil.If going forward we look up and theres only JD 2 on 1 why kick high? Yes very occasionally he will mark one but mostly one blocks and one spoils.Torpedo the ball to space make it a ground ball,give him a chance to at least take it over or hold for a bounce.
Top draft picks wont give us an instant fix but playing smarter will at least improve our footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back