Analysis Assessing the Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew it, yall thought i was a laughing stock and was being facetious when i selected Marsden....

But i saw RAW UNTAPPED POTENTIAL in this campaigner. Squib contests? Panicked handballs? Being a blouse? Aint nobody got time for that.

You're looking at the John Worsfold medalist for 2018 yo :moustache::coffee::eggplant:

getimage.aspx

So at the halfway point of the season:

Mids2018-r12-top50.jpg

Yeo's stellar form in the middle has seen him rocket up the rankings.

Current season compared to end of 2017:
Mids2018-r12-EAGLES.jpg

Compared with the rest of the competition, it is clear that we have been the standout for improvement in the midfield this season:
Mids2018-r12-Improvement.jpg
Also note just how much Adelaide's injury crisis is affecting their midfield this year.

But it gets better, if you take into account the following:
Mids2018-r12-Improvement-2.jpg
Then that places us right in the top bracket of sides for the season thus far - an amazing improvement and much of the reason why we find ourselves on top with a game in hand at the bye.

That table ranks the leagues top 50 midfielders,

Yet, no Gaff

Gaff currently ranks as 62 by this system, which is an improvement upon his 104 from last season.

Refer to the OP for how it is calculated.

Gaff's rank is currently outside 50 due to him being 105 in league for inside 50s - if he were to improve that to the amount that Sheed is getting, he becomes a top 30 rank.

Masten back in form has allowed us to have two runners that can cover a lot of ground and it also allows Gaff to play more inside.

I feel we are a lot more versatile with no Priddis and Mitchell where we were forcing those two to play another role but when they did we looked so slow in the forward line and the ball rebounded with ease if our forwards didn't get a mark I50.

Sheed, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Hutchings

Not the most dynamic and inspiring midfield depth unfortunately!

Yeo has stood up as our best mid - really need Shuey to hit career best form in the second half of the year now that we’re going to be the hunted, not the hunters

Despite the good first 11 rounds, our midfield is still our weakness.

Venables injury could be telling, as I could really have seen him spending more and more time in the middle throughout the year. Really really disappointing tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts on rotating cole through the mids

He knows where the balls going to be, got clean hands and a bit of toe and is hard as a cats head

Agreed. He can dodge and weave in traffic, does not panic, good decision maker.

I like it!

Any thoughts on rotating cole through the mids

He knows where the balls going to be, got clean hands and a bit of toe and is hard as a cats head

I thought Cole was excellent last night. I finally see what the hype is about. To be fair I saw it in a televised WAFL game but then not again since.

Our midefiled matched theirs we won the clerances easily we had plenty of ball just not enough polish

Interesting listening to Masten on the podcast about how Mitchell came up to him late last year and asked why are you doing heaps of weights. He said he was doing it to get better at contested footy but Mitchell said to him get better at what you do best and that is running. He then mentioned how he spent his pre-season doing more running and learning to run to the right spots in a game instead of just clocking up K's in all the right spots.

Sounds like Mitchell is getting the best out of our lesser mids and getting them to play to their strengths.

Interesting listening to Masten on the podcast about how Mitchell came up to him late last year and asked why are you doing heaps of weights. He said he was doing it to get better at contested footy but Mitchell said to him get better at what you do best and that is running. He then mentioned how he spent his pre-season doing more running and learning to run to the right spots in a game instead of just clocking up K's in all the right spots.

Sounds like Mitchell is getting the best out of our lesser mids and getting them to play to their strengths.
Hopefully this preseason he gets through to Sheed.

Reckon some home truths will be exposed.

It’s been well documented that Masten put a renewed focus on endurance running over the preseason, although oddly it appears to me that he’s harder to move off the ball then previous years despite less weight lifting based training.

He’s proven me wrong this year, is probably our hardest defensive runner on the team.

Looking forward to Venables returning to the team and contributing to the midfield as well. Masten and Yeo and Redden have been the standouts for me. Their work rate has really helped Gaff to get some space. NicNat and Lycett's form has certainly helped.

It’s been well documented that Masten put a renewed focus on endurance running over the preseason, although oddly it appears to me that he’s harder to move off the ball then previous years despite less weight lifting based training.

He’s proven me wrong this year, is probably our hardest defensive runner on the team.
As well as physical strength and confidence can do wonderful things.
Jack Darling is a prime example.

Think he might be using AFL player ratings.

Thats one weird rating system. It has rated Gaff as 114th in the league.

Looked for Yeo on that list, and first thing i saw was Lyons one above Yeo....

The same Lyons that was dropped from Gold Coast a few weeks ago. Probably tells you everthing you need to know about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back