Analysis Assessing the Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

It really depends how many midfielders we pick.
I still reckon Ah Chee's most likely niche is as a mid-sized forward option who brings a defensive edge in our front half.
That's where I see him, reminds me of brett heady in a way, but probably reading too much into it..
I'd like to see Venables spend 80/20 forward/midfield time, and to aim for 15 disposals, 1 goal and 4-5 tackles a game for the 2019 season, which I think is realistic and more than likely.
Expecting a big improvement from him 2019, some bulk as well...promises to be a complete player,
a future class act Imho.

That's where I see him, reminds me of brett heady in a way, but probably reading too much into it..

Expecting a big improvement from him 2019, some bulk as well...promises to be a complete player,
a future class act Imho.
Ive said before; Venables is a natural forward.He just seems to be able to find those little holes where nobody else goes.Hes fast, aggressive and looks like he will [ eventually ] be an upgrade on Lecras. Without a doubt hes best 22 even without taking into consideration any improvment.AhChee?..At times he looks a world beater but at times he just hangs his chin on his chest.Is it fitness or mental weakness or a bit of both?? If we are to improve;and we must; people like AhChee must buy into our "team" ethos.Chase,tackle and work hard.For a few years now i think a lot of us were sick of watching us fade away and lose close games.Now we grind out victory.So if you want a place in this side you need to be mentally tough not just talented.

Ive said before; Venables is a natural forward.He just seems to be able to find those little holes where nobody else goes.Hes fast, aggressive and looks like he will [ eventually ] be an upgrade on Lecras. Without a doubt hes best 22 even without taking into consideration any improvment.AhChee?..At times he looks a world beater but at times he just hangs his chin on his chest.Is it fitness or mental weakness or a bit of both?? If we are to improve;and we must; people like AhChee must buy into our "team" ethos.Chase,tackle and work hard.For a few years now i think a lot of us were sick of watching us fade away and lose close games.Now we grind out victory.So if you want a place in this side you need to be mentally tough not just talented.

I understand what you're saying, but I doubt Ahchee is lazy or hasn't bought into the club ethos, he came here to challenge himself and break into the team.
With a new Premiership I reckon everyone would be busting a gut to get into this team and if they aren't, well, natural selection kicks in, or out..
The past fade outs not entirely due to mental toughness surely - personnel, structure, roles, coaching, the quality of other teams and coaches at the time etc..it's been a complete package overhaul particularly the mids and Mitchell as coach.
Ahchee may just need another preseason to build his fitness base, look at how long it took Redden (as one example) to fit n' click..no guarantee Ahchee will of course?
Venables is still young and has much upside, his game has improved this season, patience required...another preseason.

Sorry Astro,i think your half right.I had Reddan in my best 22 from day dot.Yes hes taken a while due to familiarity,Priddis,lack of preseason,injury, whatever,but you always knew he had the goods.AhChee is not in the same boat.Im not saying AhChee,but there are a lot of players past and present who dont have the mental toughness to break barriers.Yes its always easier when the whole team buys in.I suppose Sheed is a case in point;has looked lazy and lethargic in large patches of the season yet goes close to a GF bog! Still didnt lay a tackle!AhChee needs to close the gap between his best and his worst.Maybe it is just another preseason and team familiarity but hes been in Ports system for a while and dont give me any crap about their great midfield because time has shown that to be a fallacy.

It's important to recognize our midfield at the end of the season on paper is much stronger than our midfield at the start of the season was on paper.

Start of 2018:

Shuey - the only star, but only made the AA squad once and never AA
Yeo - not sure if he had the game sense to play mid full time
Gaff - soft outside mid with limited hurt factor and suspect kicking
Redden - struggling to recapture his early brisbane form
Sheed - not sure if he'll make it
Masten - how is one more season going to change our minds?
Hutchings - depth at best

End of 2018:

Shuey - Norm smith medalist with statistically the best GF performance since they started recording stats for that.
Yeo - midfield beast. AA squad and very unlucky not to be AA as a midfielder.
Gaff - disposal fixed, added inside game, much harder in the contest, clear All Australian wing-man.
Redden - career best form, back to his old self. The inside bull we'd been looking for.
Sheed - Still can't tackle but a confirmed big game player.
Masten - well I'll be damned.
Hutchings - Elevated his tagging game to end up crucial.

So here we are. We may not still have the best midfield in the comp, but we've leapt up the rankings. Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Redden and Sheed will give opposition coaches major headaches in 2019.

It's important to recognize our midfield at the end of the season on paper is much stronger than our midfield at the start of the season was on paper.

Start of 2018:

End of 2018:

Shuey - Norm smith medalist with statistically the best GF performance since they started recording stats for that.
Gaff - disposal fixed, added inside game, much harder in the contest, clear All Australian wing-man.
Redden - career best form, back to his old self. The inside bull we'd been looking for.

So here we are. We may not still have the best midfield in the comp, but we've leapt up the rankings. Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Redden and Sheed will give opposition coaches major headaches in 2019.
YEh good call Zerg! But theres always room for improvement.

Call me crazy but I reckon Sheed will be the barometer. It's time for him to take the next step. His last six weeks of 2018 were excellent. If he can do that consistently, we start to look like a pretty reliable midfield combination.

Remember Redden
Remember sheed
Remember yeo

All 3 struggled to become mids ...fitness and nowhow were the issues

Ah chee and Venners have time

So does Ainsworth and petrol too ....they need to,work harder

Look at Reddens fitness now ....that’s elite ...sheed has lost weight too and looks way fitter

Yeo has become a beast .....

Talent takes you to the game .....hard work makes you a star

Is it safe to assume that the “flat track bullies” tag has been eliminated.

Sorry Astro,i think your half right.I had Reddan in my best 22 from day dot.Yes hes taken a while due to familiarity,Priddis,lack of preseason,injury, whatever,but you always knew he had the goods.AhChee is not in the same boat.Im not saying AhChee,but there are a lot of players past and present who dont have the mental toughness to break barriers.Yes its always easier when the whole team buys in.I suppose Sheed is a case in point;has looked lazy and lethargic in large patches of the season yet goes close to a GF bog! Still didnt lay a tackle!AhChee needs to close the gap between his best and his worst.Maybe it is just another preseason and team familiarity but hes been in Ports system for a while and dont give me any crap about their great midfield because time has shown that to be a fallacy.
you could be right, ...time will tell I guess.
Am not really defending Ahchee, just curious where/why he's at...

Last edited:

Start of 2018:

End of 2018:

When did gaff ever have s**t disposal??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah Chee has hopefully served his "running around like a headless chook" apprenticeship, that all our mature recruits seem to go through, and will be ready after a trouble free pre-season.

I still really like a lot of things about him. Height, pace, leap and seems a strong enough lad - he has the physical attributes to dominate if he gets it right. He did some really good things around the ball when he got thrown in there vs Melbs in R22 IMO.

Hope we don't offer Ah Chee more than a 1 year contract extension, at least if he had performed well for EP, there would be something to look at. Would've liked to see him put more of an effort in the twos and demand reselection, instead it feels like he was recalled or listed as an emergency simply because he has more AFL experience than other options.

Hope we don't offer Ah Chee more than a 1 year contract extension, at least if he had performed well for EP, there would be something to look at. Would've liked to see him put more of an effort in the twos and demand reselection, instead it feels like he was recalled or listed as an emergency simply because he has more AFL experience than other options.
It's unclear where he should play.

Start of 2018:

End of 2018:

The other thing Zerg is that we had two ruckmen who did midfield yards.I dont think thats Hickeys thing!Also if Yo or Reddan had a long term injury uh oh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back