News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain succinctly in plain English the difference between "transition" and "ball movement"? Assume you are explaining to a 1st year apprentice who left school at 15 with very average marks :)

Edit - and should these 2 be managed / taught by different coaches?

Our slow, roll everyone up to the ball game plan helped the defence moreso than Robert Harvey.
In previous years he was a midfield coach.
Now he is this again.
I just feel he has been at the club too long- and yet nobody else has really ever sought out his services.
Look at Burns for example- immediately wanted- by Hawthorn too for that matter.

Two important components we struggle at- transition and ball movement and we haven't really made changes to improve these areas.
We're sticking with the same people.
We should have changed this.

Glad he's not in charge of defence! View attachment 426994
Seriously though, I'm sure he's improved since 2005 but I have no idea if he's a good acquisition or not.
In his defence, Peel is a ******* basket case.

When they aren’t being propped up by arrangements with the Dockers

Can someone explain succinctly in plain English the difference between "transition" and "ball movement"? Assume you are explaining to a 1st year apprentice who left school at 15 with very average marks :)

I’m making assumptions here but:

Transition: player running and positioning in transition when the ball is turned over. Applies both offensively and defensively.

Ball movement: the way we try to optimally move the ball when we’re in possession, be it switching, using the boundary/corridor etc.

Transition: player running and positioning in transition when the ball is turned over. Applies both offensively and defensively.

Ball movement: the way we try to optimally move the ball when we’re in possession, be it switching, using the boundary/corridor etc.
Thanks - does it make sense to have these listed as responsibilities of different coaches?

Thanks - does it make sense to have these listed as responsibilities of different coaches?
Like Apex36 I also think it makes sense. The transition applies to the whole team but it is a particularly important component of our midfield. They especially must be good at the two way running, so it makes sense that the midfield coach drives that.

And the ultimate goal of your ball movement is to get it too your forwards in good position. So if the forward coach drives this area he can ensure that the team is drilled in how to deliver it too advantage the forwards both in personnel and in setup.

Yep that seems to be a good interpretation.

or put even more simply

Transition......ball has just been lost or won ....first responses.
Ball Movement....what you do with the ball when you have won it and achieved transition

Last edited:
Like Apex36 I also think it makes sense. The transition applies to the whole team but it is a particularly important component of our midfield. They especially must be good at the two way running, so it makes sense that the midfield coach drives that.

And the ultimate goal of your ball movement is to get it too your forwards in good position. So if the forward coach drives this area he can ensure that the team is drilled in how to deliver it too advantage the forwards both in personnel and in setup.
Thanks I'm learning - I did coach junior footy a few moons ago but the terminology has changed somewhat...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our slow, roll everyone up to the ball game plan helped the defence moreso than Robert Harvey.
Now he is this again.
I just feel he has been at the club too long- and yet nobody else has really ever sought out his services.

Two important components we struggle at- transition and ball movement and we haven't really made changes to improve these areas.
Or you could just admit that you got the Harvey thing wrong and don't really have anything on him.

Interview on SEN this arvo, we first spoke to him last Thursday. Speaks well and has vast experiences elsewhere even if he's a bit of a last minute option. I forgot he coached Port in 2012 after Primus was sacked.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=147481

As Buddah is being put in the role of stoppage coach, you'd think we're looking at our pressure and off the ball game. I like it........ a lot. On top of this appointment it tells me we recognize the on field and off field issues and are active in fixing them

I think the ball movement must be how it's delivered/comes to into our forwards

So basically Sando must sit in on our midfield meetings and say "okay so when u get the ball just bomb it as hard and long as you can to a contest where we are clearly outnumbered and hope for the best"
I think transition is more on the defensive side (or at least a combination of both): When we turn the ball over how do we make sure our players can get back into defensive positions quickly enough whilst keeping some sort of defensive structure - it really has been a glaring failure recently.
And it probably also includes the vice-versa: when we get the intercept how are our players pushing forward.
I reckon its all about the off-the-ball movement.
Now he is this again.

Yep that seems to be a good interpretation.

or put even more simply

Transition......ball has just been lost or won ....first responses.
Ball Movement....what you do with the ball when you have won it and achieved transition

Thanks - think I got everyone - if I missed you feel free to take it up at the AGM :)
few different answers - hope the coaching panel deliver one message.. .

Interview on SEN this arvo, we first spoke to him last Thursday. Speaks well and has vast experiences elsewhere even if he's a bit of a last minute option. I forgot he coached Port in 2012 after Primus was sacked.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=147481
agree - speaks well - have a stromg hunch he won't be inclined to over complicate anything - good move if that's the case

Now he is this again.

"Roll everyone up to the ball?" What do you mean by that?

Or you could just admit that you got the Harvey thing wrong and don't really have anything on him.

What was wrong about Harvey?
Most on this board would agree that he has been here too long.
He's held every position as an assistant- and we haven't really improved anything during his time. How he has survived is astounding.
Again, nobody from other clubs has ever come for him- that alone says something.

"Roll everyone up to the ball?" What do you mean by that?

You don't go to games much? It looks very different from the ground as opposed to TV.
We roll every player up to the ball- wherever the ball is.
Our forwards all push high up the ground- meaning we crowd it, making it harder for teams to score but when we win it, we are so spent our players cannot get into position in attack to have options to kick to. This results in having to slow play, chip sideways and backwards as well as always giving up field position to the opposition who set up with a player or two behind the ball knowing all our guys are too far up the ground and cannot hurt them.

It's not a dysfunctional forward line that we have- it's a dysfunctional game plan that is too taxing without enough of a structure forward of centre to give us a chance to score enough.
You can throw in the +1 or more that we always allow the opposition to have in our forward line.

Just the typical buckley managerial jargon that sounds great in a presser but which nobody really understands.

Sounds like most of their choices knocked them back given he was first sounded out last Thursday, not surprising that getting quality assistants under Buckley would be a hard sell, more surprising that the club attempted to flag it as a Richmond esque change to coaching staff yet we haven't got in anyone of substance, or not really surprising.

Not a coaching group that fills one with much confidence, let's hope we get a soft draw and many players have career seasons in 2018, otherwise Eddie will be scrambling to call for Buckley needing a full rebuild around this time next year.

Better informed people than me have said that is the case, and the actions so far have supported their info, with the first part of your post.
And they have proven correct in this.
I'm told by someone who has done a bit of work for a few AFL clubs that Balme is about the smartest bloke going around and I assume that's one of the reasons why there were clubs queuing up for him when he was demoted. We spend a lot of time whingeing about the state of our footy department but seem to brush over the fact that the most damaging thing out of the whole Gubby fiasco was losing Balme. If there is a silver lining it's that apparently Geoff Walsh is a very competent unit as well.

Back