News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember we lost Brad Scott at the end of the HA season in 2009 and I believe that hurt us going into the finals.

+ IIRC Watters and Neeld during the following seasons.

Our backline has improved so much since 2017 and we didnt really bring in anyone new other than Roughy this year.. it's all been improvement from within. Reckon he will be a very big loss, our backline performs almost every week when often the midfield and forward line dont !

I actually think our defensive line was okay before Longmuir arrived with any real improvement due to personnel as much as anything. He did do well to get us through to the GF with the lack of KPD's we had but not sure how much of that was about coaching, how much about having to make do.

Will be sad to see him depart if he does score the Freo job.

The Bloke is a good coach, and if he is the next coach of freo it will be well deserved
Unfortunate for us though, but so be it

Damn it, damn it, damn it.

Surprised the call hadn't come from any of the 3 clubs who have already undertaken coaching changes.

Was highly valued at West Coast and I don't think it's a coincidence that our best performed line across the past 2 seasons has been the one coached by Longmuir.

That this has all been achieved on the back of key personnel missing due to injury and the subsequent flow on affects that arise without a settled lineup is a massive tick for Justin.

He can take as much credit as anyone for our rise up the ladder last season IMO.

Now that Fremantle is sniffing around we need to do two things if he is appointed.

1. Make him see out the season and honour his contract with us. Only Fremantle gain if we don't!
2. Make sure we don't take the cheap or easy solution when looking for his replacement and approach the best assistants league wide even if under contract.

I could be wrong but I thought that there was a new rule introduced whereby assistant coaches of teams appearing in finals can’t be poached until that team has been eliminated from the finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would expect him to see out the season first.

His 1st priority must be Pies until our season is finished - hopefully end of Sept with a flag - then our blessing to take the next step if he wishes - if they need to interview him beforehand they can fly to Melb or do video link

His 1st priority must be Pies until our season is finished - hopefully end of Sept with a flag - then our blessing to take the next step if he wishes - if they need to interview him beforehand they can fly to Melb or do video link

If it works out that way, then surely it would be an industry first?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo will want him immediately for list management planning.

Maybe.

But it would be a tad foolish. If your senior-coach-in-waiting has the opportunity to gain experience of being part of a successful finals campaign surely you’d let them take it?

Besides, irrespective of what Freo want, Collingwood do have a contract that they could enforce if they chose to. Clubs typically don’t enforce contracts under those circumstances (believing it would be counterproductive), but hey, it could happen.

Maybe.

But it would be a tad foolish. If your senior-coach-in-waiting has the opportunity to gain experience of being part of a successful finals campaign surely you’d let them take it?

Besides, irrespective of what Freo want, Collingwood do have a contract that they could enforce if they chose to. Clubs typically don’t enforce contracts under those circumstances (believing it would be counterproductive), but hey, it could happen.

I'd enforce it provided Longmuir wanted to stay. If I were that close to a premiership i'd want to stick around.

I'd enforce it provided Longmuir wanted to stay. If I were that close to a premiership i'd want to stick around.
He has real integrity so he’d be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The caveat is, once you’re appointed as a senior coach, it does change things. You’re hence something else. Not just an assstant.

Interesting how it plays out.

With all the talk of Longmuir leaving for a senior coach role, I have no doubt the club is actively out looking in the market and talking to managers concerning the opportunity.

I'm not so concerned honestly as fresh ideas and views in the coaches box has to help.

With all the talk of Longmuir leaving for a senior coach role, I have no doubt the club is actively out looking in the market and talking to managers concerning the opportunity.

I'm not so concerned honestly as fresh ideas and views in the coaches box has to help.
Justin is very much respected.

It’s expected he’ll move to a senior role at some point all the same.

My discussions tell me, he’s got the support of coach and club to go for it and our blessings when he is appointed.

Really good guy. Be enormous for Freo if they go with him.

Back