News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a bit of talk about which of our assistant coaches will be departing scattered throughout a few different threads, so thought it would be easier with a designated thread for rumoured/confirmed movements.

|2017|2018|comments
\Assistant coach (midfield)|Scott Burns|(midfield & transition)
Robert Harvey
(stoppages)
Garry Hocking | Burns to Hawthorn (assistant coach)
\Assistant coach (backline)|Robert Harvey| Justin Longmuir | Harvey re-signed for 2018
\Assistant coach (forward line)|Brenton Sanderson|Brenton Sanderson|Sanderson contracted for 2018
\VFL coach|Jared Rivers|Jared Rivers| Rivers re-signed for 2018
\VFL midfield|Brad Gotch||Gotch contracted for 2018
\VFL backline|Jamie Cassidy-McNamara||
\VFL forward line|Ryan Power||
\Head of Academy|Tarkyn Lockyer| Tarkyn Lockyer |expanded role for 2018
\Academy coach|Brad Gotch| Brad Gotch |
\Academy coach|Anthony Rocca| Matthew Boyd |Boyd will also be a VFL line coach, unknown which one
\2017: Academy coach (Skill Acquisition)
2018: Training and Skill Development Coordinator|Jamie Cassidy-McNamara|Jamie Cassidy-McNamara|
\Ruck & bench coach ( part time? )|no formal position, formed part of Anthony Rocca's duties|Anthony Rocca|

Last edited:
The incoming assistants - a flood of names next week after the H&A season ends? Or after the finals? Surely we're targeting assistants from the successful clubs. Maybe also from the collection of this year's retiring players.

The last thing we need is a bunch of retired players being brought in as trainee assistant coaches. Luke Hodge is the one exception to that. Really want him. We need to target the best of the experienced assistants out there... The ones who will have the gravitas to impact on our wonder coach's self assured obstinance.
I want: 1. Ratten, 2 Dew 3. Hodge ... We have our ready made succession plan there (which were gonna need).

Yeah I don't know that I trust the club to appoint untested assistants straight out of retirement. I agree with doodles that Hodge would be the exception.

Stevie J could be great in time but I'd rather he made his newbie mistakes elsewhere, given our current position.

Not disappointed to see Harvey go, if true. After several years it feels like a good time to move on.

Needs to be said, I'm very grateful for the contributions of all who go this year.

I'm not on the Hodge bandwagon. Results are what speak to me.

At this stage we have 2 roles to supposedly fill so I want them filled with guys that have done the business in specific roles.

David Teague is the first name. The forward coach at Adelaide was highly regarded during his time at the Northern Blues and is in control of the most formidable forward group in the game.

Henry Playfair is the second. The defensive coach at Sydney for the past two years after being the forward coach for the previous 4.

Both come with development backgrounds. They tick the boxes for me.

The last thing we need is a bunch of retired players being brought in as trainee assistant coaches. Luke Hodge is the one exception to that. Really want him. We need to target the best of the experienced assistants out there... The ones who will have the gravitas to impact on our wonder coach's self assured obstinance.
I want: 1. Ratten, 2 Dew 3. Hodge ... We have our ready made succession plan there (which were gonna need).

I very much doubt Ratten or Dew will move sideways to another club to become assistant. Their next gigs will be as senior coach,otherwise they will stay where they are.

I'm not on the Hodge bandwagon. Results are what speak to me.

At this stage we have 2 roles to supposedly fill so I want them filled with guys that have done the business in specific roles.

David Teague is the first name. The forward coach at Adelaide was highly regarded during his time at the Northern Blues and is in control of the most formidable forward group in the game.

Henry Playfair is the second. The defensive coach at Sydney for the past two years after being the forward coach for the previous 4.

Both come with development backgrounds. They tick the boxes for me.

They also tick the "the best coaches werent very good footballers" box!!!

Good suggestions

I very much doubt Ratten or Dew will move sideways to another club to become assistant. Their next gigs will be as senior coach,otherwise they will stay where they are.
Yes but it will be odds on that there will be a vacancy there for them to step into in the next 2 years... Not being facetious ... If we reappoint Buckley and get in new assistants... Get in ones who might be able to take over seamlessly... Although I guess that creates an interesting conflict of interest scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. Stevie J should be one they look at. Luke Hodge another.
Luke Hodge yes

Johnson very tepid on, seems a bit too easy on things- would love to know the true feedback on his attitude

Sanderson needs to go as well.
Sanderson is contracted.
Don't get the angst on him.
Seems a terrific operator and tactical type.
Also brings some fun to the players

Yes but it will be odds on that there will be a vacancy there for them to step into in the next 2 years... Not being facetious ... If we reappoint Buckley and get in new assistants... Get in ones who might be able to take over seamlessly... Although I guess that creates an interesting conflict of interest scenario.

I dont think the club will revisit that approach any time soon. Buckley either gets reappointed or he doesnt. Getting reappointed with his already 100% qualified replacement sitting next to him with the club ready to pull the trigger at any time is the most destabilising approach they could take.

Sack the assistants... - bit like the Trump White house - get rid of all the senior staffers while the head honcho creates chaos
Really silly post.

I don't think we have any trump type to imply that is really silly.

If you said a Bush or Obama then fair enough. One seemed a bit mix d the other smooth as but did nothing much

I'm starting to think who are we seriously going to get who will want to come to Collingwood under Buckley?
Especially when pressure will be extremely high.

We won't be attracting any high quality assistants…therefore you wonder what difference more poor quality assistants will achieve with our current coach?

The other ironic thing is we have assistants who have more qualifications than Buckley does from a coaching stand point…
Wow.

They also tick the "the best coaches werent very good footballers" box!!!

Good suggestions

It actually hadn't crossed my mind.

My POV was mostly around what do we have? Where do we improve? What does improvement look like to me?

Those two answer all those questions because I want us to defend deeper as Sydney do and develop a multipronged attack that works together as Adelaide's does. All whilst having development at our core.

The cherry on top would be to bring Essendon's ball movement coach in, but I can't figure out who it is.

Overall though I think there's value in looking at why successful footballers are struggling to adapt as senior coaches. I think it's due to a reliance on team v a reliance on self, but I'm not sure and work probably needs to be done in that area because we've certainly failed with our "name" coaches. Whereas our best coach in the past six years, Tapping, was a no name.

I dont think the club will revisit that approach any time soon. Buckley either gets reappointed or he doesnt. Getting reappointed with his already 100% qualified replacement sitting next to him with the club ready to pull the trigger at any time is the most destabilising approach they could take.
If he gets reappointed it is a no guarantee of his seeing out his contract at all... and nor should it be. Reality is, If we are zip and 6 at the start of next year and getting spanked... There will be a very high likelihood that the trigger will be pulled. This is the reality Bucks will have to live under for the next 2 years... it won't be a surprise to him... he knows he has no credits left. To suggest he is safe regardless of results if he is reappointed is crazy.

fun? The reason he was booted from the crows cause the players hated him as he was clueless at man management

Isn't he also the forward's coach?

Lol have people been watching the forward line operate?
There's never anyone in it for starters.

Crows hated him…they couldn't wait to have rid themselves of him.

Only at Collingwood do we not have the balls to make the hard decisions.

Since we're stuck with Sanderson can we make him coach the back line next year. Since he's a defender himself I assume he knows what he's doing. Failing that get Rivers to coach the back line. No more mids please. One is enough on the coaching staff. Entice Wayne Carey, Matthew Lloyd or Gary Lyon out of the media to coach the forwards. I think we should retain Anthony Rocca as ruck coach at the club. In fact I'm thinking of starting up a petition in support of Anthony Rocca. Any takers?

If he gets reappointed it is a no guarantee of his seeing out his contract at all... and nor should it be. Reality is, If we are zip and 6 at the start of next year and getting spanked... There will be a very high likelihood that the trigger will be pulled. This is the reality Bucks will have to live under for the next 2 years... it won't be a surprise to him... he knows he has no credits left. To suggest he is safe regardless of results if he is reappointed is crazy.

All true but to appoint him means you support him. You don't appoint his heir Apprent now assuming or expecting him to fail soon. It's a negative attitude.

Besides as I said I highly doubt dew or ratten would agree to join in those circumstances.

The Malthouse situation was different as he was given an actual end date at the start of the transition period. And he was a lot older.

Back