News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm glad we're doing something about stoppages. I suspect that our numbers probably look pretty good (other than centre clearances) but the way the ball gets extracted is not good imo. Far too much blind kicking and nowhere near enough hand balling to players who can kick unpressured. It's ironic that Treloar, who is one of the worst offenders, plays his best footy when we get the handball receives going because that's what really takes advantage of his elite capacity to break the lines with his pace. There needs to be a complete change in the philosophy of how we handle possession in stoppage situations imo.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
apparently buckley seen having coffee with jobe watson in south yarra.

Sauce - ricky nixon's podcast thingy which I have to say is not as reliable as my usual sauce.

Watch this space.

Kipz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2008
Zor*n's tissue pile
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gooners
apparently buckley seen having coffee with jobe watson in south yarra.

Sauce - ricky nixon's podcast thingy which I have to say is not as reliable as my usual sauce.

Watch this space.
Wasn't there footage on 7 tonight? Didn't see the sport segment but thought I saw it in the preview earlier

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I thought it sounded a good appointment on face value but after hearing him talk there I'm not so sure . Rather vague.
Talk about a puff piece. Champion hard nosed player much like Buckley and Harvey. I can only presume they all put their brilliant football minds in check whenever they speak publicly.

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
What was wrong about Harvey?
Most on this board would agree that he has been here too long.
He's held every position as an assistant- and we haven't really improved anything during his time. How he has survived is astounding.
Again, nobody from other clubs has ever come for him- that alone says something.

You don't go to games much? It looks very different from the ground as opposed to TV.
We roll every player up to the ball- wherever the ball is.
Our forwards all push high up the ground- meaning we crowd it, making it harder for teams to score but when we win it, we are so spent our players cannot get into position in attack to have options to kick to. This results in having to slow play, chip sideways and backwards as well as always giving up field position to the opposition who set up with a player or two behind the ball knowing all our guys are too far up the ground and cannot hurt them.

It's not a dysfunctional forward line that we have- it's a dysfunctional game plan that is too taxing without enough of a structure forward of centre to give us a chance to score enough.
You can throw in the +1 or more that we always allow the opposition to have in our forward line.
I went to every game at the G this year and watched from level 2 of the Ponsford. This strategy is not something I have noticed much of.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Thanks - does it make sense to have these listed as responsibilities of different coaches?

Think of it as the difference between firey's and paramedics. Both are first responders, but they take different skill sets to implement.

IMO, it's more important to have the message filtering down well than who's delivering it and having someone in charge of both would be a huge responsibility! Because when you break it down they would be in charge of both how we attack and defend.

Interview on SEN this arvo, we first spoke to him last Thursday. Speaks well and has vast experiences elsewhere even if he's a bit of a last minute option. I forgot he coached Port in 2012 after Primus was sacked.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=147481

Well that tells me Montgomery wasn't for us or was overlooked. Given the process I get the feeling Hocking wasn't our preferred candidate, but I still think he adds value!

Overall the club have done a fairly good job re-structuring the coaching panel, but could have gone deeper, IMO.

He's held every position as an assistant- and we haven't really improved anything during his time. How he has survived is astounding.
Again, nobody from other clubs has ever come for him- that alone says something.

You don't go to games much? It looks very different from the ground as opposed to TV.
Our forwards all push high up the ground- meaning we crowd it, making it harder for teams to score but when we win it, we are so spent our players cannot get into position in attack to have options to kick to. This results in having to slow play, chip sideways and backwards as well as always giving up field position to the opposition who set up with a player or two behind the ball knowing all our guys are too far up the ground and cannot hurt them.

It's not a dysfunctional forward line that we have- it's a dysfunctional game plan that is too taxing without enough of a structure forward of centre to give us a chance to score enough.
You can throw in the +1 or more that we always allow the opposition to have in our forward line.
Re Harvey:
"Most on this board would agree that he has been here too long": How is that a slight on Harvey's coaching?

"He's held every position as an assistant- and we haven't really improved anything during his time." : He's been a midfield coach, upgraded to head assistant (whilst still midfield) before being shifted to backline coach this year. So, no he has held 2 positions. And if you can't admit that our backline improved this year, then your either in denial or too stubborn to admit that you may be wrong.

"How he has survived is astounding.
Again, nobody from other clubs has ever come for him- that alone says something" : He survived well enough to win assistant coach of the year in 2013. And how do you know whether other clubs have sounded him out and he's knocked them back? Is it possible that like several other long term assistants he is eyeing a head coach position instead of a lateral move or is happy as head assistant?

You would have been better off just saying that you want change for the sake of change because none of these arguments hold weight.

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just the typical buckley managerial jargon that sounds great in a presser but which nobody really understands.
mmm - jargon fogs brains and prevents or at least delays the action required. Alan Richardson has remarked on the need for clarity when communicating with players. Brisbane players said Matthews always kept his message direct and simple.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Harvey was the backline coach this year, which improved substantially compared to previous years.

The $1m question though was that due to coaching or greater stability within the group?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think transition is more on the defensive side (or at least a combination of both): When we turn the ball over how do we make sure our players can get back into defensive positions quickly enough whilst keeping some sort of defensive structure - it really has been a glaring failure recently.
And it probably also includes the vice-versa: when we get the intercept how are our players pushing forward.
I reckon its all about the off-the-ball movement.

I don't think it's much worse than most other teams, most over commit offensively. It's more a minority that routinely retain those great defensive structures but even those sides have off games. Our issue relative to others is the greater propensity to turn it over or end up with 50/50 contested scenario's.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Been saying this for the last 2 years, and hopefully bucks has realized his "vision" is not working or at least we don't have the cattle to sustain it which is partly to do with the Davoren effect which was a one size fits all high load training which in turn also resulted in soft tissue issues.

Don't be surprised to see a different training - probably more individualistic and more footy related regime over the off season . Pendles was on sen and he gave me the impression that the club wants to move away from the endurance type training at the same time as polishing up the skills issue as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sea Bird

Debutant
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m making assumptions here but:

Transition: player running and positioning in transition when the ball is turned over. Applies both offensively and defensively.

Ball movement: the way we try to optimally move the ball when we’re in possession, be it switching, using the boundary/corridor etc.

I agree with this.

Transition to me is a change in state i.e. from defense to offense and vice versa.

Ball movement is about control i.e. when we have possession what are we doing to optimize our chance of scoring.

To try and combine the two in an example. If our ball movement is poor and it's turned over in the F50, sometimes we've been easy to score against because our players aren't positioned to defend effectively - said another way, we've been hurt in transition

Sorry for the intrusion. The Crows have just signed Benny Hart as an assistant and I was just wondering if any of you would care to give your thoughts on his time at the Pies?

Cheers.

This will be good.
upload_2017-10-16_18-4-0.png

Sorry for the intrusion. The Crows have just signed Benny Hart as an assistant and I was just wondering if any of you would care to give your thoughts on his time at the Pies?

Cheers.

Don't think he was Much Chop.

Sooked after he got Sacked about Bucks

Cheers.
Depends if wanted informed or not.
Be prepared

pirate bob

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
A quick question. Ben Hart was with you guys for 5 years. Was curious why he was moved on? Was it a normal panel change? To make room for other coaches? Or was he poorly regarded?

Seems he has just been appointed to our panel now.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A quick question. Ben Hart was with you guys for 5 years. Was curious why he was moved on? Was it a normal panel change? To make room for other coaches? Or was he poorly regarded?

Seems he has just been appointed to our panel now.
Excuse my intrusion,
Who is ben hart?

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Been saying this for the last 2 years, and hopefully bucks has realized his "vision" is not working or at least we don't have the cattle to sustain it which is partly to do with the Davoren effect which was a one size fits all high load training which in turn also resulted in soft tissue issues.

Don't be surprised to see a different training - probably more individualistic and more footy related regime over the off season . Pendles was on sen and he gave me the impression that the club wants to move away from the endurance type training at the same time as polishing up the skills issue as well.

Given the last 2 flags were won playing pressure footy I'd say he called it right.

Implementing has been the issue.

Back