Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Part of me likes the idea of a pared back coaching group. It just feels like a much tighter group.

Football GM: Chris Davies

Head Coach: Ken Hinkley
Forward Coach: Nathan Bassett
Midfield Coach: Scott Camporeale (incoming)
Defence Coach: Brett Montgomery

Development Coach: Chad Cornes
Development Coach: Trent Hentschel

SANFL Coach: Mathew Lokan (outgoing)

Outgoing:
Jarad Schofield: (Camporeale)
Michael Voss: (no replacement)
Mathew Lokan (tbc)

It will be interesting to see what happens with Lokan replacement for the SANFL coach.
Maybe Chadbro gets another go at it.
Ken prefers the SANFL coach to get the side to play to his Kernball method - not try to win a flag.
Lokan must have displayed similar stubborness to Chad, hence el flicko, in favour of another yes man.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dew's sleazy pickup line for senior assistant pls

Ateez Seonghwa GIF - Ateez Seonghwa Park Seonghwa GIFs

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley's gone if we don't win a premiership next year, so I'd imagine the club think there's no point in filling a senior assistant role. He either can do it on his own and get a premiership, or he's gone - in which case we would likely have to redeploy the senior assistant to suit the new head coach.
I very much doubt Port will finish top4 next season, so Ken better start organizing the removalists.

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hinkley's gone if we don't win a premiership next year, so I'd imagine the club think there's no point in filling a senior assistant role. He either can do it on his own and get a premiership, or he's gone - in which case we would likely have to redeploy the senior assistant to suit the new head coach.
Also if you name a senior assistant now you're pretty much locked in for them to be the caretaker coach if things go pear shaped next year. Better to have them all as assistants and you have more scope next year when you make a decision on the caretaker. Why lock in Monty if the new assistant does a better job.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also if you name a senior assistant now you're pretty much locked in for them to be the caretaker coach if things go pear shaped next year. Better to have them all as assistants and you have more scope next year when you make a decision on the caretaker. Why lock in Monty if the new assistant does a better job.
I think in that situation they may use Bassett as the care taker coach.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
So we’ve lost 2 coaches. And will replace 1 of them.

1.3mil worth of players off the list (Rocky, Hammer, Garner), possibly more to leave, How will we use that large amount of space? Who will we bring in, and can we do it without destroying our draft hand?

A lot of our big names also out of contract at the end of 2022.

How will our players respond after the PF meltdown? Will it scar our players anywhere near us much as the 07 GF?

It seems a lot could possibly go wrong in the next 12-18 months. And if it does hit the fan, and Ken survives it, then it doesn’t give the supporters much hope.

Possibly - Here's the scary thing, IF we crash and burn in 2022; Ken is actually a fairly decent "building" type coach (ie he's okay at taking bottom tier teams and building them to mid and upper tier just not 'top tier'), he may be playing this beautifully for himself. We could end up with him for the next 5-7 years as he "rebuilds" a new young group of players without EVER really being able to take them all the way.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1019877/the-evening-run

There is a long-planned restructure of the coaching panel to now unfold with Davies confident of the talent already in Port Adelaide's football department.

"We do have fantastic assistant coaches (including Nathan Bassett and Brett Montgomery) who can take on more responsibility. The challenge with that is to find the right spots for them," Davies said last week.

"We have people within our club (development coaches Chad Cornes, Trent Hentschel and Tyson Goldsack) who can take steps up. I am really confident in our coaching group - and that they can get better."

Put this in the We Were Port Adelaide facts and stats thread 10 days or so ago, but probably fits in here to see who moved and when. This was the year we were going to change, after the same 6 core coaches for 3 seasons.

From the annual AFL Record Season Guide books.

2013 Josh Carr, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Shaun Rehn, Alan Richardson
2014 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun Hart, Matthew Nicks, Phil Walsh - Hocking coaches Magpies
2015 Josh Carr, Tyson Edwards, Shaun hart, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Hocking coaches Magpies
2016 Nathan Bassett, Shaun Hart, Garry Hocking, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2017 Matthew Nicks, Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Michael Voss - Chad coaches Magpies
2018 Nathan Bassett, Brendon Lade, Matthew Nicks, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2019 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2020 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies
2021 Nathan Bassett, Brett Montgomery, Jarrad Schofield, Michael Voss - Lokan coaches Magpies

Other than the obvious head coach appointments and Schofield this year, I don't know exactly who left by their own accord and who was not re-signed.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
What dis he say!?
Was this between Nikki Visser and Teresa Palmer? Heaven?
It was around July 2003 IIRC, but basically that is all I that I can remember. Thankfully I was no footy groupie. On the other hand some of the girls I went to school with slept with around half of the Port Adelaide Magpies team between 1997-1998. I have many words that old describe them, but they are not suitable for this forum 🤣🤣

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was around July 2003 IIRC, but basically that is all I that I can remember. Thankfully I was no footy groupie. On the other hand some of the girls I went to school with slept with around half of the Port Adelaide Magpies team between 1997-1998. I have many words that old describe them, but they are not suitable for this forum 🤣🤣
You must of went to same school as me 😅

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

'Players Bar'!

Back