Assistant Coaches 2017 - Lade returns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked up what Dew actually does at Sydney as a coach.

He's a senior assistant, was the defence coach, looks after stoppages and does development too.

Can we trade him for Hart/Voss?
He seems to be doing a good apprenticeship up there.

He's a senior assistant, was the defence coach, looks after stoppages and does development too.

how about for hinkley

doubt we'll get him unless we give him the top job

Listening to Ken today it appears that no decision has been made by Port about any of the coaching staff.
Looks like Rucci has jumped the gun again, which is typical of him, to try and get a story out geez.

I would be Interested to hear a Sydney fans opinion on Dew.

But that's his role seems like decent ticks so far.

I would be Interested to hear a Sydney fans opinion on Dew.

But that's his role seems like decent ticks so far.

I'm sure Stewie Dew is struggling to cope coaching the best midfield in the league, the best forward of our generation and endless top 3 picks when finishing in the top 3 every year.

Poor Stewie.

All our assistant coaches are on 2 year contracts til end 2017 except Buddha ... his contract ends this year.

I suspect that ( if Rucci is correct ) being out of contract will be the major reason why Buddha would be the only assistant to get the lemonade and sars.

Happy if this is wrong, but I was told (unofficially ) some months back, that both Hart and Voss are contracted for 2 more seasons after this one, Hart was given 5 years from day 1, and Voss 4. :thumbsdown:

Which still begs the question that KT, Kochie, the board, or a combination of all 3 must have ratified these long term contracts, it is highly unlikely a middle manager could have done it without approval from a higher authority. ;)

i still dont know what shaun hart actually does, the only piece of work ive seen him do i tap ken on the shoulder once? i just dont get it,
its good work if you can get it i suppose

I'm sure Stewie Dew is struggling to cope coaching the best midfield in the league, the best forward of our generation and endless top 3 picks when finishing in the top 3 every year.

Poor Stewie.
It is a bit unfair to say this as "the best midfield" had to develop into this.

but your point does stand, I guess more respect will be gained if he can do well in another system.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we just s**t on all of them until they are a proven head coach.

;)
We could but we (BigFooty posters) aren't the ones hiring assistant coaches. When the club is hiring assistant coaches I would expect they would speak to as many people as possible who had first hand knowledge of the applicants coaching (fellow coaches, players) and put the applicant through a rigorous interview process.

It is a bit unfair to say this as "the best midfield" had to develop into this but your point does stand, I guess more respect will be gained if he can do well in another system.

It was a little tongue in cheek, but still....how much coaching is really required at Sydney?

We could but we (BigFooty posters) aren't the ones hiring assistant coaches. When the club is hiring assistant coaches I would expect they would speak to as many people as possible who had first hand knowledge of the applicants coaching (fellow coaches, players) and put the applicant through a rigorous interview process.
absolutely I don't think anyone is disputing this.

But just IMO looking at Lade and Dews record as coaches one doesn't match the other,but as you said interviews etc are the key.

It was a little tongue in cheek, but still....how much coaching is really required at Sydney?
I still rate Dew highly.

But I agree with you that his test will be at another club if that ever happens.

Poor Stewie.

Things like that just happen for Stewie.

Seriously of course the club would have a process to go though for coaching staff but there is something about Stewie. He's obviously doing something right at Sydney and it's easy to imagine also have picked up a fair bit from Alistair Clarkson.

If we take a philosophical stance that we will have 6 proper ruckman on our list, because we are going to use the Category B rookie list for the next decade, each year with at least 1 and more likely 2 Cat B rookies who are 202+ cms and already 105kgs maybe even 110 kgs and come from basketball or volleyball or USA or down the track China, ie we don't waste time "fattening them up" rookieing 86kg bean poles, and we extend that philosophy to the 15 contracted Magpies and Academy kids, ie grab plenty of big bastards, then it makes sense to get Lade back quick smart as he will have plenty of blokes to work with full time.

If not, then as smart a footballer as Lade was, as much as I like him, then I can't see the point of taking him as an AFL assistant as he isn't the strategist we need. This of course is assuming that "all assistants except Budda Hocking have been assured they will be at Alberton next year" includes Aaron Greaves. If not, then maybe Lade gets a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back