Assistant Coaches 2017 - Lade returns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes Voss is. still midfield manager.
Lade is assistant coach midfield and forwards with a line coach assisting him in each area if I recall, Hentschel being forward assistant (with AFL and SANFL) and another assistant mids, to achieve some consistency between the 2 teams. I can't recall who midfield line coach was.

Well if the website is anything to go by, we don't have a forwards coach...

Hinkley - Senior Coach
Bassett - Assistant Coach (Defence)
Brendon Lade - Assistant Coach (Ruck)
Matthew Nicks - Assistant Coach (Defence)
Michael Voss - Midfield Manager

Stuart Cochrane - Player Development Coach
Aaron Greaves - Player Development Coach
Trent Hentschel - Football Administration Manager / Development Coach
Jacob Surjan - Development Coach

Well if the website is anything to go by, we don't have a forwards coach...

Hinkley - Senior Coach
Bassett - Assistant Coach (Defence)
Brendon Lade - Assistant Coach (Ruck)
Matthew Nicks - Assistant Coach (Defence)
Michael Voss - Midfield Manager

Stuart Cochrane - Player Development Coach
Aaron Greaves - Player Development Coach
Trent Hentschel - Football Administration Manager / Development Coach
Jacob Surjan - Development Coach
AS you can see, they don't keep the website updated.
Nicks hasn't been in defence since 2015. He's senior assistant now.

From Nov 4th:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/4ecdcc9e0d6bdd4260f26bc7278c401b

Hinkley will work with three “line coaches” next season — Brendon Lade returning from Richmond to be the Power’s ruck and forwards coach; Nathan Bassett retaining defence for his second year at Alberton and Brownlow Medallist Michael Voss continuing to manage the Power midfield for his third season.

Each zone coach will have a lieutenant — Stuart Cochrane (midfield), Trent Hentschel (forwards) and Jacob Surjan (defence).

Chad Cornes remains as the Port Adelaide Magpies (SANFL) coach working in tandem with the Power AFL program.

There will be no other appointment to Hinkley’s panel, with Port Adelaide not chasing former Western Bulldogs assistant coach Brent Montgomery for a return to Alberton, as has been long speculated.

I like the idea of Surj teaching DBJ. He gets compared to Michael Wilson a lot just because Wilson is our most famous back pocket, but I think DBJ plays much more like Surjan than Wilbur.

I like the idea of Surj teaching DBJ. He gets compared to Michael Wilson a lot just because Wilson is our most famous back pocket, but I think DBJ plays much more like Surjan than Wilbur.
I have never thought DBJ plays like Wilson. I reckon your post is the first time I have heard or read that. Definitely more Surjan than Wilson.

I have never thought DBJ plays like Wilson. I reckon your post is the first time I have heard or read that. Definitely more Surjan than Wilson.

Wilson was a more capable drifting spoiler/marker and 1-on-1 player imo. DBJ's strength is ground ball.

Surj hit the scene at a really high level, but failed to make it to the next one. Dbj has started really well too, let's hope he keeps progressing.

Pardon the intrusion -

Is there a school of thought around the football department for 2017? Have structural changes been made/did changes need to be made? Lade seems like a good import

Fwiw, like others, I thought Voss needed to step up to fill the shoes of Richardson/Walsh

But I don't claim to have any inside knowledge

Bassett seems like a good recruit, hopefully in his second season he can impart more of his ability

Cheers

Pardon the intrusion -

Is there a school of thought around the football department for 2017? Have structural changes been made/did changes need to be made? Lade seems like a good import

Fwiw, like others, I thought Voss needed to step up to fill the shoes of Richardson/Walsh

Bassett seems like a good recruit, hopefully in his second season he can impart more of his ability

Cheers
School of thought here was that we missed Richardson/Walsh more than we thought, and that Voss didnt seen to bridge the gap. In fact the entire coaching set-up didnt seem to gel together for some reason, and that was reflected in the game-style & results. On-field & off-field, Port is an anomaly, where the 'Whole is actually worth less than the sum of its parts!' I have a feeling that Lade is going to prove to be a major get for us, in that be looks likely to be the glue that binds the midfield and forwards onto the same page. To me there is a very different feel to this pre-season than last years. The coaches are curbing the talk, and focusing more on the walk. If it all gels, Port will be a force in 2017.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion -

Cheers
I am surprised Voss is still here
at least in the midfield coach capacity
We should have been looking for another tactician in the mold of Richo/Walsh
Maybe someone from Sydney

I am surprised Voss is still here
at least in the midfield coach capacity
We should have been looking for another tactician in the mold of Richo/Walsh
Maybe someone from Sydney

I will be surprised if both of Voss and Hart are still at the club after their current contracts expire, the latter has already been moved sideways, which in any business is often a precursor to, out the door!

The new board ( and KT ) have done a fantastic job in most respects, but the reported long term contracts ( 4 and 5 years? ) for the above, has ( at least for me :rolleyes: ), taken the gloss off their achievements just a tad.

I can remember DBJ's first game. Bruce McAvaney said after he made a tackle, something like, Byrne-Jones likes to get stuck into it.
And the blood streaming down his face when he kicked his first AFL goal. Probably my favourite moment from last season.

Surj was undoubtedly courageous as well. I remember him in one of his first games diving head first on a ground ball, clashing heads with Archer, winning the ball and running off to either kick or setup a goal.

Courage like Surj had, & DBJ has, should be one of our non-negotiables.

Unfortunately that has not always been the case in our AFL journey. We have appreciated it most of the time, but not 100% of the time, when it is year by year an ever-present we will be a far superior team.

“Matt Lobbe had a really good year two or three years ago but had a couple of major injuries which effected the way he trained and played,” said Lade, who opted not to extend his seven-year stint at Richmond and signed a three-year deal with the Power.

“He needs the work, he is built like a Clydesdale and needs to keep working and training.

“The challenge for us coaches is how to get him back to that form again.

“He is doing everything right at the moment, training really well and he has had some good battles with Paddy already.

“That is all you can ask of him at this time of the year, keep ticking off the training sessions, ticking off the extra work.

“If he does all that I’m sure it is only a matter of time before he turns it around and starts putting it together on the park.”

But reviving Lobbe is not Lade’s only task, also having the job of improving Ryder, Billy Frampton and Dougal Howard.

The ruck combination of Ryder and Lobbe struggled to gel in 2015 but Lade is still optimistic the duo can work together. That is provided they can also be effective in attack, like Lade and Matthew Primus were during their highly-successful ruck partnership.

“I’d like to think they can work together,” Lade said. “You can’t be a one-trick pony ... you have to take on a couple of roles.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/cd6987a2c1a10e3e4fc7a5d5ed545070

Oh no.

Time to load up on 'Port to miss the top 8'. Still $1.50 on Sportsbet. It was probably more before that interview.

How did you get that from what Lade said? He specifically said "I'd like to think they can work together. You can't be a one-trick pony...you have to take on a couple of roles."

Which means Lobbe is getting anywhere near the team until he can hold down a forward position, because that's the only way he will work with Ryder.

He also said: "It's only a matter of time before he turns it around." Meaning that he's not even close to being in the side at the moment.

If Lobbe doesn't improve to become the player we need and doesn't get picked, I'm happy.

If Lobbe improves to become the player we need and gets picked, I'm happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back