Assistant Coaches 2017 - Lade returns!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more than happy with that setup.

It's always difficult to tell - from the outside - how each individual coach performs, but I think the system as a whole looks good.

Last edited:
More voices and ideas does not necessarily equal a better or more effective coaching set up. I suspect less could be more in our case.
Hopefully this is true.
I just had my heart set on Dew.
The current coaching staff have been backed in to sink or swim, which scares me a little, Dew would've provided some floaties. And I also hoped that an assistant of that calibre could snap Kenny out of his funk.

Lade is more certain than ever of his wish to be an AFL senior coach, even after being at Richmond.

Lade has returned home to SA earlier than intended. And to his football home at Port Adelaide after destiny – at least in the hands of the late Phil Walsh – had the 2006 Power club champion to be one of Walsh’s assistants at the Crows.

“I want to get to the main job at some stage; I was in a hurry a couple of years ago and wondering why other guys were being asked and I wasn’t ,” Lade said. “But there is still plenty of time for me – and I will keep learning under different coaches.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subsc...424f8182529ed40196f28e46a7&memtype=registered

Andrew Rondinelli leaving?? just saw his tweet saying "Enjoyed my time living in Adelaide. Now onto the next adventure"
Hasn't been with Port all year. Moved onto stuff with Thanasi on the tennis tour. Tennis Australia rate him highly, maybe moving to Melbourne to their national tennis academy?

Left the Kok and got a gig with St George Dragons in the NRL according to the tweet alert I got yesterday from a whole of Port people commenting on his tweet.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/08/dragons_football_dep.html
The Club will have two new Strength and Conditioning Coaches in Andrew Rondinelli and Alex Clarke.

Rondinelli joins the Club in a dual role, which also includes performance nutrition, having previously worked with both Port Adelaide FC and Carlton FC.
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/08/dragons_football_dep.html

Last edited:
Well, we will see how this one plays out.

It really is an all or nothing 2017 for this group.
Lack of performance in 2017 will lead to big changes IMO. I think no finals = lack of performance.

The club cannot afford another non-finals year without making big changes in the coaches box. We have lost a fair bit of respect in Melbourne and that hurts our brand.

I think no finals = lack of performance.

I'd go one further and say that if we don't win at least one final, the club will consider that a failure.

A ruthless club would swing the axe for not reaching a goal. Even if they "made the finals".
Richmond would party in the streets in fancy dress just for scraping in.

I'm confident I know which type of club we support.

I'm cautious about everyone's enthusiasm for Lade. I mean the guy was a brilliant player and Port hero but really, his only coaching experience is at Richmond. So no-one really knows if he's going to be the answer to our club's lack of ability to hold a structure or if he can exorcise the demons of Lobbe etc... I really hope he can make a positive impact but I also held similar hopes for Bassett.

I'm cautious about everyone's enthusiasm for Lade. I mean the guy was a brilliant player and Port hero but really, his only coaching experience is at Richmond. So no-one really knows if he's going to be the answer to our club's lack of ability to hold a structure or if he can exorcise the demons of Lobbe etc... I really hope he can make a positive impact but I also held similar hopes for Bassett.

well I think he had something to do with making Vickery good enough for the Hawks to want him, so perhaps he can get Lobbe out of his career rut just enough to be of value in some way to all concerned parties. it can be hard to see the good coaches do in getting 'the most', or more accurately 'something useful' out of players with awkward career trajectories, whether that be due to confidence, injury or ****head factors. to your point maybe some coaches have more impact with that than at dealing with 'talent' that basically drives itself to work as Jackson seems to do. it may be we see only a few little things improve but it will still matter. personally I think our young defense was reasonable this year as a unit, given the pressure our midfield put on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well I think he had something to do with making Vickery good enough for the Hawks to want him, so perhaps he can get Lobbe out of his career rut just enough to be of value in some way to all concerned parties. it can be hard to see the good coaches do in getting 'the most', or more accurately 'something useful' out of players with awkward career trajectories, whether that be due to confidence, injury or ****head factors. to your point maybe some coaches have more impact with that than at dealing with 'talent' that basically drives itself to work as Jackson seems to do. it may be we see only a few little things improve but it will still matter. personally I think our young defense was reasonable this year as a unit, given the pressure our midfield put on them.
I agree with all this. I'm not suggesting we haven't gotten good value from Bassett, I actually thought our defence was quite good considering the lack of experience and amount of poor turnovers we had through the year. I'm just not sure I expect miracles from Lade. I do believe we'll improve as a team from the past two years but I believe it will be a combination of factors. I guess if Lobbes comes out and has a career best year and says he attributes it to Lade, I'll be pleasantly surprised and ecstatic.

All this talk about Lade making our ruckmen good, I'm more concerned with him doing his number 1 job well.

Not exactly an either-or proposition though is it?

If we end the year with a poster on here called Lobbe2Robbie or some such I suspect Lade will have done a fair job improving the midfield overall ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly an either-or proposition though is it?

If we end the year with a poster on here called Lobbe2Robbie or some such I suspect Lade will have done a fair job improving the midfield overall ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full time forwards coach, will dabble a little with Voss and Greaves in the middle from time to time.

Lack of performance in 2017 will lead to big changes IMO. I think no finals = lack of performance.

The club cannot afford another non-finals year without making big changes in the coaches box. We have lost a fair bit of respect in Melbourne and that hurts our brand.

The thing with Melbourne is. We don't earn respect unless we finish top 4.. anything less and we are a disgrace and irrelevant.

Full time forwards coach, will dabble a little with Voss and Greaves in the middle from time to time.

Ah. I had misunderstood the balance of responsibilities. Clearly Lobbe will be playing up forward a lot then ;)

Nope, as I recall, Greaves is moving into role as full time Head of Football Development.
Lade has mids, rucks and forwards. Henschel is assisting with forwards and another assistant coach will be helping him with the mids

Voss is midfield manager.
Yes Voss is. still midfield manager.
Lade is assistant coach midfield and forwards with a line coach assisting him in each area if I recall, Hentschel being forward assistant (with AFL and SANFL) and another assistant mids, to achieve some consistency between the 2 teams. I can't recall who midfield line coach was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back