Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2017-18 - Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to forward line - 12/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast have been ranked bottom 3 in goals/inside 50 every year since 2014, and have been every year apart from 2013. He's been in charge of their defence from the get go.

I will be furious if he's hired.

But they have been a basket case since inception?
Getting thrashed most weeks while they were building, then when they had injuries they couldn't cover, then we start to realise they have a midfield and forward line that don't pressure.
Not sure it can be segmented into 3 zones so easily when they have had failings all over the field, whos going to cop it when you lose in other areas? The Defence.

Solly has been spoken about a bit in media circles as highly regarded.

Edit- ill add I don't actually want to hire him, but trashing him seems a bit harsh.

But they have been a basket case since inception?
Getting thrashed most weeks while they were building, then when they had injuries they couldn't cover, then we start to realise they have a midfield and forward line that don't pressure.
Not sure it can be segmented into 3 zones so easily when they have had failings all over the field, whos going to cop it when you lose in other areas? The Defence.

Solly has been spoken about a bit in media circles as highly regarded.
So basically excuses. Dean Soloman is in charge of the weakest are of the ground for Gold Coast and has been since inception but it gets let go because the other areas of the ground were failing too?

I'm looking at the cold, hard facts. Soloman has been a failure as a defensive line coach for Gold Coast but we're a possibility of hiring him anyway. Because he's an "Essendon Person".

So apparently Dean Soloman may come back to Essendon at the end of the year if he doesn't get the senior job for Gold Coast according to channel 7.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that would be complete idiocy? Hiring the defence coach of the worst defence in the league? It's as if we see "ESSENDON PERSON" and whether or not they're any good at their job becomes irrelevant.

To replace who? Harvs has been doing a great job.

To replace who? Harvs has been doing a great job.
I'd be guessing Harvs is ready to move on. He might be looking at helping a new coach settle in at Collingwood/Gold Coast/North Melbourne

Find it odd that McKenna is our mid field coach he was a backman during his career and will probably have no idea on how a mid field works.
I think he has some idea of how a midfield should work but agree that you'd think his experience would be more relevant to forward or back line coaching.

So basically excuses. Dean Soloman is in charge of the weakest are of the ground for Gold Coast and has been since inception but it gets let go because the other areas of the ground were failing too?

I'm looking at the cold, hard facts. Soloman has been a failure as a defensive line coach for Gold Coast but we're a possibility of hiring him anyway. Because he's an "Essendon Person".

The whole place is a basket case is my point, not one person at that place has come out looking good. But its a bit hard to draw a solid conclusion on someone when the rest of the place is crap and the line you are in charge of cops it because that's where the ball ends up when you are s**t everywhere else.

We hired McKenna who was their head coach, seems to be going ok here yeah? Like I said I don't want him hired, im happy if he isn't, its just not as black and white as you are saying.

IF we were looking at him, He would be looked at because he is a good coach, not because he is an Essendon person. We have moved beyond that childish crap.

So apparently Dean Soloman may come back to Essendon at the end of the year if he doesn't get the senior job for Gold Coast according to channel 7.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that would be complete idiocy? Hiring the defence coach of the worst defence in the league? It's as if we see "ESSENDON PERSON" and whether or not they're any good at their job becomes irrelevant.
Skipworth was coaching one of the worst forward lines for many years, i have no problem with Solo Lemon Lime coming home.

The whole place is a basket case is my point, not one person at that place has come out looking good. But its a bit hard to draw a solid conclusion on someone when the rest of the place is crap and the line you are in charge of cops it because that's where the ball ends up when you are s**t everywhere else.

We hired McKenna who was their head coach, seems to be going ok here yeah? Like I said I don't want him hired, im happy if he isn't, its just not as black and white as you are saying.

IF we were looking at him, He would be looked at because he is a good coach, not because he is an Essendon person. We have moved beyond that childish crap.
Head coaches get hired because they're very good assistants. I have no issue with the club hiring former head coaches because the vast majority of the time they've got an excellent record as an assistant.

Also McKenna has hardly set the world on fire here as midfield coach.
Skipworth was coaching one of the worst forward lines for many years, i have no problem with Solo Lemon Lime coming home.
Skipworth was either reserves or midfield coach until Woosha began. So he's had 2 years as forward coach at most

A bit harsh on Solly.

From all accounts, he's supposed to have a great coaching mind and there's obviously a reason he's in demand.

I don't feel it's as simple as just saying the Suns have a **** defense, ipso facto Soloman is a **** coach.

To use an in-house example: we haven't won a final since 2004, yet 99% of Essendon fans believe Adrian Dodoro is one of, if not the best List Manager in the business. Does our on-field lack of success make Dodoro a **** list manager?

Last edited by a moderator:
Damien was the biggest problem there... he did not identify his team's strengths and play to them, he was a follower surrounded by followers trying to replicate Clarkson.

John's already identified our strengths and has built a game plan on taking advantage of them, I reckon we've come just as far from where we were as Richmond have. This is Richmond with a marquee midfield signing and Josh Caddy joining.

We will add some similar quality this offseason. Hopefully Kennedy and Webb they are my top 2 for us.

Trust Woosha B4L he's a beauty. He knows what he's building, the players know, we'll reap the rewards for a lot longer than Richmond with the young talent we have growing together.

Imo Woosha should keep 1 senior assistant ethier Meckenna or Neeld and the rest should be younger ones who are fresh out of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we do need a rejuvenation in our coaching panel. Have a feeling Harves will go. McKenna's been less than stellar in his role but I don't buy in that he doesn't know how a midfield works, he was midfield coach at Collingwood and was a senior coach at AFL level. You don't become that without knowing about every area of the ground.

However I would like to see us change his role. Play him as a sort of senior assistant ala Bomber and bring another Goodwin type in, maybe Jarrad McVeigh? And in defence bring in someone like Leigh Tudor.

I think we do need a rejuvenation in our coaching panel. Have a feeling Harves will go. McKenna's been less than stellar in his role but I don't buy in that he doesn't know how a midfield works, he was midfield coach at Collingwood and was a senior coach at AFL level. You don't become that without knowing about every area of the ground.

However I would like to see us change his role. Play him as a sort of senior assistant ala Bomber and bring another Goodwin type in, maybe Jarrad McVeigh? And in defence bring in someone like Leigh Tudor.
McKenna was brought in by Worsfold right after he took over, so if Worsfold is getting a free hit for 2016, then McKenna should be too. A change in role might happen, but I think he'd get more than 12 months of coaching a consistent midfield group before they'd pass judgement surely? Pretty much half of our best 22 midfield is returning players (Heppell, Watson, Myers, Colyer).

Yet he was a defender in his playing days but is coaching midfield.

It's like when we had Egan as a forwards coach when clearly Egan was better suited as a defensive one.

If Buckley gets the chop I would get him as our mids coach.

Bucks would have some very tempting media offers on his plate so wouldnt surprise to see him take a break from coaching for a couple of years if he finishes up at the Pies.

McKenna was brought in by Worsfold right after he took over, so if Worsfold is getting a free hit for 2016, then McKenna should be too. A change in role might happen, but I think he'd get more than 12 months of coaching a consistent midfield group before they'd pass judgement surely? Pretty much half of our best 22 midfield is returning players (Heppell, Watson, Myers, Colyer).
Maybe, I just think our best set up will be something similar t when Hird took over:

Woosha/Hird
McKenna/Bomber
Tudor/Wellman
McVeigh/Goodwin
Skipworth/???
???/Wallis (Development coach)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back