Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2019-20

**PINNED POST**

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
John Worsfold (thread)
Senior assistant coach and team defenceBen Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach – midfield and attack Blake Caracella
Assistant coach – forwardsDan Jordan
Assistant coach – backline James Kelly
Assistant coach – stoppages Mark Harvey
Development coach and VFL head coachMark Corrigan
Development coach and VFL backline coachLeigh Tudor
Development coach and VFL midfield coachCam Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
So we have 9 coaches on the roster:

John Worsfold (Senior Coach): fourth year
Rob Harding (Oppo Analysis): third year
Ben Rutten (KPP and team defence): first year
Mark Harvey (Defence): fifth year
Hayden Skipworth (Midfield): ninth year
Paul Corrigan (Forward): fifth year
Dan Jordan (VFL): second year
Mark Corrigan (unclear at this point): fifth year
James Kelly (development): second year

I don't actually know what Corrigan junior's role is? It says performance coach on the website but then lists his teaching background and doesn't actually say what he does. It seems a bit stale to me, we've had the same group for a while and we're achieving the same mediocre success.

So we have 9 coaches on the roster:

John Worsfold (Senior Coach): fourth year
Rob Harding (Oppo Analysis): third year
Ben Rutten (KPP and team defence): first year
Mark Harvey (Defence): fifth year
Hayden Skipworth (Midfield): ninth year
Paul Corrigan (Forward): fifth year
Dan Jordan (VFL): second year
Mark Corrigan (unclear at this point): fifth year
James Kelly (development): second year

I don't actually know what Corrigan junior's role is? It says performance coach on the website but then lists his teaching background and doesn't actually say what he does. It seems a bit stale to me, we've had the same group for a while and we're achieving the same mediocre success.
Jordan M.Corrigan and Kelly would be VFL line coaches surely? VFL head coach doubles as midfield or something?

Jordan M.Corrigan and Kelly would be VFL line coaches surely? VFL head coach doubles as midfield or something?
Kelly isn't a line coach in the VFL. Maybe Corrigan is the midfield? Because we have Dyson coming in as defense coach and Matt Firman as forward coach. Jordan is head coach only.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Love Harvs but a natural in front of the camera he is not.
Wholeheartedly agree. He's better talking candidly to talking points in the 'From the Coach', holding his own mike. This was more scripted I guess, and he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands, looks supremely uncomfortable with the smart TV as well. Also not sure what the heck he's wearing, is it a training bib over the top of a thick jumper or something?

Appreciate the insight though.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Wholeheartedly agree. He's better talking candidly to talking points in the 'From the Coach', holding his own mike. This was more scripted I guess, and he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands, looks supremely uncomfortable with the smart TV as well. Also not sure what the heck he's wearing, is it a training bib over the top of a thick jumper or something?

Appreciate the insight though.

Yep, the content was good. The hi-vis bullet-proof vest, not so sure about that!

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Get him in next year.

i wouldn’t’ve thought we needed another undersized defender, but if he’s been private tuition by Roughead maybe worth a rookie spot?

Did have a chuckle. Seriously though, Roughead is the ideal candidate to be an assistant next year.

Highly respected within the industry: check
Been part of a very successful era, under the best coach of the past 20 years: check
Fresh out of the game (if he does retire): check
Can help with our forward issues: check

Please let us headhunt him as the forwards coach. Promote Kelly to be the midfield line coach, Rutten as the back line coach. Bring in a Leigh Tudor as development coach and if it gets to it, an untried head coach.

Did have a chuckle. Seriously though, Roughead is the ideal candidate to be an assistant next year.

Been part of a very successful era, under the best coach of the past 20 years: check

Please let us headhunt him as the forwards coach. Promote Kelly to be the midfield line coach, Rutten as the back line coach. Bring in a Leigh Tudor as development coach and if it gets to it, an untried head coach.

Yep I'd be pretty happy with that as an assistant lineup though Kelly may move on to different systems for experience.
I still think a setup of line coach for each section try and grab them from different systems for the IP.
Put a Worsfold/Clarkson/roos in a senior position and then have a young coach as the figurehead.

You put the people and the IP around him. You have the old wise head leading the department and providing assistance then you have the young coach which can grow with the group and would be seeking advice and help instead of blindly sticking to what they think is best.

I rekon that's the change that happened with Buckley. As soon as he dropped the my way is best why can't you just do what I do attitude and changed the pies have turned into a great team.

Yep I'd be pretty happy with that as an assistant lineup though Kelly may move on to different systems for experience.
I still think a setup of line coach for each section try and grab them from different systems for the IP.
Put a Worsfold/Clarkson/roos in a senior position and then have a young coach as the figurehead.

You put the people and the IP around him. You have the old wise head leading the department and providing assistance then you have the young coach which can grow with the group and would be seeking advice and help instead of blindly sticking to what they think is best.

I rekon that's the change that happened with Buckley. As soon as he dropped the my way is best why can't you just do what I do attitude and changed the pies have turned into a great team.
IP? In any case other types like Maxwell or McVeigh or players from other successful cultures need to be considered as well.

From Leongatha so the captain will like him .:p

Do we have to look outside the box like the Saints did with Billy Slater ?
We have Dan Richardson and Ben Rutten who know the Richmond system which is based on making it fun but also play your role but do we need to look at a leadership coach who has done some work under a system like the Storm where it is very much hold no prisoners and you do everything in your power to get the "team " over the line.
I just think we are too nice which is really at odds with the way Worsfold and Harvey played.:think:

IP? In any case other types like Maxwell or McVeigh or players from other successful cultures need to be considered as well.

Intellectual property. Just take people from successful systems basically.

What Hodge and Fagan have done for Brisbane is along the lines of what I'm thinking we need in this club.

Intellectual property. Just take people from successful systems basically.

What Hodge and Fagan have done for Brisbane is along the lines of what I'm thinking we need in this club.
Yep, gotcha. That's what I want from Roughy, why I'm interested in McVeigh (learned from Roos, who we know is very good), Leigh Tudor worked under some great coaches.

Yep, gotcha. That's what I want from Roughy, why I'm interested in McVeigh (learned from Roos, who we know is very good), Leigh Tudor worked under some great coaches.
Sam Mitchell?

Back