Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

**PINNED POST**

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
John Worsfold (thread)
Senior assistant coach and team defenceBen Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach – midfield and attack Blake Caracella
Assistant coach – forwardsDan Jordan
Assistant coach – backline James Kelly
Assistant coach – stoppages Mark Harvey
Development coach and VFL head coachMark Corrigan
Development coach and VFL backline coachLeigh Tudor
Development coach and VFL midfield coachCam Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Might seem a bit left field, but I would go and get Chocko Williams to replace skipworth as forwardline coach and draft Riccardi.

The guy is too good a coach to not be in the AFL system, loves development and his Essendon ties would help as well.

Also we saw what he did getting alongside Martin and calming him down/making him feel loved at Richmond. It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to get long side Joe potentially for hopefully the same effect.

Might seem a bit left field, but I would go and get Chocko Williams to replace skipworth as forwardline coach and draft Riccardi.

The guy is too good a coach to not be in the AFL system, loves development and his Essendon ties would help as well.

Also we saw what he did getting alongside Martin and calming him down/making him feel loved at Richmond. It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to get long side Joe potentially for hopefully the same effect.
I don't mind it, but apparently Chocko doesn't want to get back into AFL coaching. That's why he's at Werribee.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I don't mind it, but apparently Chocko doesn't want to get back into AFL coaching. That's why he's at Werribee.
Interesting as that isn't the impression he gave on the sacked podcast on the Herald Sun.

It seemed like he would be keen if anything, but a finals run with Werribee may well have changed that.

Interesting as that isn't the impression he gave on the sacked podcast on the Herald Sun.

It seemed like he would be keen if anything, but a finals run with Werribee may well have changed that.
Less pressure, good job security.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we able to poach assistants and if so for how long? Seems odd to me. Are we weeding out mediocrity or internally is our culture miserable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was good as our forwards coach a few years ago. Not sure what happened with the midfield, it seems like a lost cause that no one has made much of an impression on for years.

I can only speculate as to his reasons, but I wouldn’t consider an academy role to be a promotion of any sort, and it’s certainly not a traditional path to senior coaching. I’m not sure academy jobs are even full time, though perhaps it’s an area that Collingwood is investing in. I wonder if the academy comes under football department soft cap 🤔

The timing is shockingly bad though. The coaches would’ve been doing development and planning through the offseason so that’s a lot of IP walking out the door, and unless someone internal is promoted up then we have someone who knows none of it coming in to replace him as well.

Assuming we’ve been blindsided, the process of finding someone may well mean whoever does replace him won’t even be able to start at the club or look over any plans until the full squad is in training. 🤦‍♀️

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
May not have been a place for him in the Rutten/caracella direction. If he's come in day 1 and then taken his bat and ball home with him you'd assume something happened in coaches meetings during the off-season. I dont see him leaving as a big loss. Head of Collingwoods acadamy is a massive step down in my opinion, so i dont think they see him as a big gain either.

essendon

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Hillside
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
A summer clean out on all fronts...coaches and players...good and about time !!! Too many people at this club have stayed a little too long.....new people, new ideas.....it has to happen......we need things to happen....15 yrs and counting since our last finals win.....change is inevitable and desperately needed......the only one left is Dodoro....anyone I missed ??

A summer clean out on all fronts...coaches and players...good and about time !!! Too many people at this club have stayed a little too long.....new people, new ideas.....it has to happen......we need things to happen....15 yrs and counting since our last finals win.....change is inevitable and desperately needed......the only one left is Dodoro....anyone I missed ??
Making the choice to replace Harding with Caracella seems like a good one. Replacing Worsfold with Rutten gives us security if nothing else. Parting ways with Crowy and bringing in some bloke from Hawthorn is probably not the dumbest choice either, and Corrigan didn't make a lot of impact so his successor can hardly do worse.

Having our CEO, two members of our leadership group and a line coach subject to poaching is not likely to have been in the plan, however.

greysong

Senior List
Apr 1, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Only thing that concerns me about this is Devon loved him and used him as a selling point to Shiel. Poor Dylan has really been sold a lemon so far.

So who's in charge of which line now?

Woosha: Head Coach
Truck: Team Defence
Harves: Back Line
???: Midfield
???: Forward
Caracella: Opposition Analyst
Pops: Development
M Corrigan: 1st to 3rd year players
Dan Jordan: VFL

Is Kelly moving into midfield coaching? Who are we getting as forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back