Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

**PINNED POST**

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
John Worsfold (thread)
Senior assistant coach and team defenceBen Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach – midfield and attack Blake Caracella
Assistant coach – forwardsDan Jordan
Assistant coach – backline James Kelly
Assistant coach – stoppages Mark Harvey
Development coach and VFL head coachMark Corrigan
Development coach and VFL backline coachLeigh Tudor
Development coach and VFL midfield coachCam Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's what I'd like to think too.
What I don't like is the kind of messy PR of everything is fine while we do it. Maybe it's the spin I'm not liking? It's just a sense, I don't have any exact concrete feelings like I hate it or I'm mad at it all, it's just an unease is the best way I can put it.

If we have senior players who are crying and whinging and starting to get restless I like it because the youth were what turned this club around on a number of occasions the past two years. They seem proactive they seem hungry. I don't mind it.

But there is an odd feeling coming out at the moment of the club aside from all that. Blindsided by Daniher, CEO tapped and will probably be gone at some stage. Senior coach in transition, assistant coach leaves day 1 of pre season. The fantasia stuff. Just fills a little spot fiery whilst we are trying to develop and change a culture.

Kind of feels like the pieces are there we needoff and on the field but we may be in for a bit of a collapse before they are put in the right place.
CEO being tapped is really a good thing in some ways, it means he is respected. I don't mind the transition either, I think it's a more stable way of handling a coaching change without throwing out the bathwater.

Daniher and Fantasia need to own some responsibility there.

To think there wasn't uncertainty at Geelong in 2006, Richmond in 2016, Hawthorn in the mid 2000s, Sydney in 2002 etc etc.

Not to say we're going to be as successful as those clubs were following but in general change can bring uncertainty and discontent to some, but I'm glad we're having it.

Worsfold interview excerpts:

Garry Lyon: Does Hayden Skipworth's departure, a) did it catch you by surprise and b) how hard does it make life for you as a coaching group in the short term?

Worsfold: Yeah um it catches you by surprise at this time of year. I was really clear that Hayden has been at Essendon a long time and the next step for him potentially for growth is to go and experience another club and work under a different coach. So I wasn't surprised he was looking for other opportunities. But the fact that it came so late, you start to think most clubs are settled now, so we know what we've got.

But Dan Jordan whose been at the club for a few years now is a real high potential young coach, really regard him extremely highly, and it opens up an opportunity for him. He's run our VFL program taken the team to the last two prelim finals in really tough circumstances, some of the injuries we've had. Great relationships with the playing group, both the VFL guys and the AFL listed guys, just opens up a wonderful opportunity for him. I'm really pleased to see him step into that role.

So it does then have a knock on effect, now we're looking for a senior coach for our VFL program, we're onto that straight away.

Oh and this bit was in part 1 of the interview, I posted it in Rutten's thread (the coaching succession plan thread) as well but it might help clarify the roles of some of the other assistants (e.g. Harvey particularly):

TW: So whose game plan is it then is it your game plan or will it be Ben's or will it be a consultative process between you, Ben and the other coaches... who sets the format for that?

Well we've brought Blake Caracella in this year. Blake's in charge of our attack, when we're in charge of the footy Blake is going to direct how we want to move the ball.

It's really collaborative so between Ben looking after defence, which he started to put into place throughout this football season, Blake comes in new, we'll add some layers to how we want to move the ball, and Mark Harvey is going to work at the actual stoppage craft that the players are doing this year.

So I've got to make sure all of those guys are really communicating well together that the players have clear line of site about how it all fits together.

Last edited:
Worsfold interview excerpts:

Garry Lyon: Does Hayden Skipworth's departure, a) did it catch you by surprise and b) how hard does it make life for you as a coaching group in the short term?

Worsfold: Yeah um it catches you by surprise at this time of year. I was really clear that Hayden has been at Essendon a long time and the next step for him potentially for growth is to go and experience another club and work under a different coach. So I wasn't surprised he was looking for other opportunities. But the fact that it came so late, you start to think most clubs are settled now, so we know what we've got.

But Dan Jordan whose been at the club for a few years now is a real high potential young coach, really regard him extremely highly, and it opens up an opportunity for him. He's run our VFL program taken the team to the last two prelim finals in really tough circumstances, some of the injuries we've had. Great relationships with the playing group, both the VFL guys and the AFL listed guys, just opens up a wonderful opportunity for him. I'm really pleased to see him step into that role.

So it does then have a knock on effect, now we're looking for a senior coach for our VFL program, we're onto that straight away.

Oh and this bit was in part 1 of the interview, I posted it in Rutten's thread (the coaching succession plan thread) as well but it might help clarify the roles of some of the other assistants (e.g. Harvey particularly):

TW: So whose game plan is it then is it your game plan or will it be Ben's or will it be a consultative process between you, Ben and the other coaches... who sets the format for that?

Well we've brought Blake Caracella in this year. Blake's in charge of our attack, when we're in charge of the footy Blake is going to direct how we want to move the ball.

It's really collaborative so between Ben looking after defence, which he started to put into place throughout this football season, Blake comes in new, we'll add some layers to how we want to move the ball, and Mark Harvey is going to work at the actual stoppage craft that the players are doing this year.

So I've got to make sure all of those guys are really communicating well together that the players have clear line of site about how it all fits together.

Seems to be that Caracella will define the overall way we want to move the ball offensively, Rutten defensively.

The line coaches then deal with more specifics amongst their group; which player goes where, how to execute various skills, positioning etc etc..

The challenge is then tying it all together in to a coherent system the players can understand and follow; e.g. when there's a turnover and we need to go from defensive to offensive (or vice-versa) structures rapidly, can the players manage that transition in a clean way without the confusion we see at times where the system breaks down completely.

I'm always mindful of Collingwood under Buckley looking a complete rabble because their heads were so full of system and instructions and complexity that they never really knew where to go or what to do.

Seems to be that Caracella will define the overall way we want to move the ball offensively, Rutten defensively.

The line coaches then deal with more specifics amongst their group; which player goes where, how to execute various skills, positioning etc etc..

The challenge is then tying it all together in to a coherent system the players can understand and follow; e.g. when there's a turnover and we need to go from defensive to offensive (or vice-versa) structures rapidly, can the players manage that transition in a clean way without the confusion we see at times where the system breaks down completely.

I'm always mindful of Collingwood under Buckley looking a complete rabble because their heads were so full of system and instructions and complexity that they never really knew where to go or what to do.

It is the system that worked for Richmond. It sounds complex but it is more based on players having a decent crack and playing for the team. For us it is about mental changes.
I know I go back to Zac Merritt a lot but the one thing he does is ball watch a lot. So it is about telling him his game is great but can we concentrate on moving into the next phase of play a bit quicker.

Let’s face it the coach did say at one stage the players had to decide what they wanted to stand for.

I wonder if rather than asking the players what they stand for it's time tell them what they are expected to stand for and that anyone who doesn't want to buy in can get out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

apart from being really goofy looking, what’s wrong with brett burton?
Allegedly the architect of everything that went wrong at the crows over the last few years. Not qualified or competent for a senior role but got parachuted into a job because he was one of the boys.

Allegedly the architect of everything that went wrong at the crows over the last few years. Not qualified or competent for a senior role but got parachuted into a job because he was one of the boys.
oh well, he’ll fit right in then.

So we ignore a rising star in our ranks and go out and find a coach who has missed out at 17 other clubs .....

you mean like the bulldogs did with Luke Beveridge?

He has an important role as it is to develop the young kids and others to play Essendon football as a whole, why rob Peter to pay Paul?

We now have to find a VFL coach, is that robbing the next generation of Essendon players playing Essendon football because now we have to find someone that 17 other clubs have overlooked?

Last edited:
you mean like the bulldogs did with Luke Beveridge?

He has an important role as it is to develop the young kids and others to play Essendon football as a whole, why rob Peter to pay Paul?

We now have to find a VFL coach, is that robbing the next generation of Essendon players playing Essendon football because now we have to find someone that 17 other clubs have overlooked?
We could just poach someone from another club. Wait and see who they appoint first

I've just finished watching the BTV interview with Dan Jordan. He's impressive. Really like the positivity he's bringing to the seniors and the established relationships with younger players that he already has.

I'm a bit confused though. In the interview they ssid he was the forwardline coach. I thought that was Caracella?

I've just finished watching the BTV interview with Dan Jordan. He's impressive. Really like the positivity he's bringing to the seniors and the established relationships with younger players that he already has.

I'm a bit confused though. In the interview they ssid he was the forwardline coach. I thought that was Caracella?
Caracella should be ball movement

Caracalla is team offence. So what the entire team does when we’re in charge of the ball.

Forward line is more to do with running patterns, forward craft, 1v1 technique and s**t like that, but would also work in with Caracalla and the mids coach.

Ruttens job is a mirror of Caracellas, what we do when the opposition has the ball anywhere on the field.

From what I can gather:

Head: Worsfold
Team Defence: Rutten
Team Attack: Caracella
Backs: Harvey
Midfielders: ???
Forwards: Jordan
Development: Kelly (maybe)
VFL: Cogs jr

From what I can gather:

Head: Worsfold
Team Defence: Rutten
Team Attack: Caracella
Backs: Harvey
Midfielders: ???
Forwards: Jordan
Development: Kelly (maybe)
VFL: Cogs jr
Looks right to me, although they mentioned that Harvey is doing "stoppage craft", whatever the hell that means. I assume in addition to defence.

We also have other assistants like Jamar works with the rucks part time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back