Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2019-20

**PINNED POST**

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
John Worsfold (thread)
Senior assistant coach and team defenceBen Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach – midfield and attack Blake Caracella
Assistant coach – forwardsDan Jordan
Assistant coach – backline James Kelly
Assistant coach – stoppages Mark Harvey
Development coach and VFL head coachMark Corrigan
Development coach and VFL backline coachLeigh Tudor
Development coach and VFL midfield coachCam Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks right to me, although they mentioned that Harvey is doing "stoppage craft", whatever the hell that means. I assume in addition to defence.

We also have other assistants like Jamar works with the rucks part time.
Hoping that Kelly moved to the midfield honestly

Hoping that Kelly moved to the midfield honestly
:shrug: He's definitely still at the club in a coaching capacity, but idk what he's doing exactly. They keep interviewing him on those 'rapid fire' videos.

I wouldn't expect him to be our AFL midfield coach though as that seems to be the kind of job you get after being a defence/forwards line coach for a while first. Although maybe that's why our midfield is kinda dumb.

Also found this: "The club is expected to fill the remaining development coach position in the coming weeks and will make an announcement in due course." tacked on the end of the article about Mark Corrigan taking over as VFL Coach.

:shrug: He's definitely still at the club in a coaching capacity, but idk what he's doing exactly. They keep interviewing him on those 'rapid fire' videos.

I wouldn't expect him to be our AFL midfield coach though as that seems to be the kind of job you get after being a defence/forwards line coach for a while first. Although maybe that's why our midfield is kinda dumb.

Also found this: "The club is expected to fill the remaining development coach position in the coming weeks and will make an announcement in due course." tacked on the end of the article about Mark Corrigan taking over as VFL Coach.
Goodwin stepped into midfield straight from playing, but our only other points of reference here were what you described and a former head coach.

Goodwin stepped into midfield straight from playing, but our only other points of reference here were what you described and a former head coach.
Goodwin would probably come under "or equivalent" given his extensive CV as a player though :p

Not sure where that leaves Kelly, his CV isn't exactly short either. I guess you can't really promote a development coach before you promote the VFL coach though, otherwise you'd be left wondering why the development coach wasn't the VFL coach in the first place.

Goodwin would probably come under "or equivalent" given his extensive CV as a player though :p

Not sure where that leaves Kelly, his CV isn't exactly short either. I guess you can't really promote a development coach before you promote the VFL coach though, otherwise you'd be left wondering why the development coach wasn't the VFL coach in the first place.
Because development outstrips VFL. Egan went from development to forward line to back line to VFL in his time here.

Caracalla is team offence. So what the entire team does when we’re in charge of the ball.

Forward line is more to do with running patterns, forward craft, 1v1 technique and s**t like that, but would also work in with Caracalla and the mids coach.

Ruttens job is a mirror of Caracellas, what we do when the opposition has the ball anywhere on the field.

It’s essentially an NFL type set up. Caracella is the offensive coordinator, Rutten is the defensive coordinator and and Worsfold is overseeing the program and everyone answers to him.

That’s my understanding of the structure anyway

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s essentially an NFL type set up. Caracella is the offensive coordinator, Rutten is the defensive coordinator and and Worsfold is overseeing the program and everyone answers to him.

That’s my understanding of the structure anyway
If that is the case I'd expect we see him return to the box or at the very least spend much of his time on the phone. Suspect he's more likely to be caught thumbing through Perth real eatate guides.

If that is the case I'd expect we see him return to the box or at the very least spend much of his time on the phone. Suspect he's more likely to be caught thumbing through Perth real eatate guides.

yoda.jpg

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
The Bombers have confirmed their coaching structure for season 2020, with two key appointments to strengthen the club’s development program.

Leigh Tudor and Cam Roberts will join the red and black, working closely with the club’s VFL backline and midfield respectively.

Tudor’s responsibilities at The Hangar include leading the Bombers’ development program - the Jack Jones Academy - for the first-to-fourth-year players.

2020 Coaching Structure
Senior coach
– John Worsfold

Senior assistant coach and team defence – Ben Rutten

Assistant coach – midfield and attack – Blake Caracella

Assistant coach – forwards – Dan Jordan

Assistant coach – backline – James Kelly

Assistant coach – stoppages – Mark Harvey

Development coach and VFL head coach – Mark Corrigan

Development coach and VFL backline coach – Leigh Tudor

Development coach and VFL midfield coach – Cam Roberts

Holy s**t, Tudor??

North have consistently had the most well oiled forward line for his entire 5-6 odd year tenure there, that’s an enormous get

Last edited:
So Tudor is a VFL line coach, a development coach, and the head of our Jack Jones Academy for 1st - 4th year players..? I didn't even know we had a Jack Jones Academy for 1st - 4th year players. Is that kind of like the job Skippy left us for at the Pies?

So Tudor is a VFL line coach, a development coach, and the head of our Jack Jones Academy for 1st - 4th year players..? I didn't even know we had a Jack Jones Academy for 1st - 4th year players. Is that kind of like the job Skippy left us for at the Pies?
That's what M Corrigan did last year

So if we come back, I'd be curious to see the structure. Does Tudor slide into Rutten's role when he gets promoted? Because he's a very well qualified pure development coach. Does Woosha come back? I doubt it somehow unfortunately.

So if we come back, I'd be curious to see the structure. Does Tudor slide into Rutten's role when he gets promoted? Because he's a very well qualified pure development coach. Does Woosha come back? I doubt it somehow unfortunately.
Woosha will be back this season.

Back