Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolts had a terrible coaching year this year.

My hope, is that he learns and improves his performance next year.

Note, Simpson at WCE had a number of poor years in 2016/2017; so much so that some were calling for his head.

Same with Bucks and Dimma during their tenure.

We see. The Bolton story is not complete yet.

I’m happy for Bolton to continue coaching for now I just wish our coaching panel wasn’t filled with personalities just like his.

I don’t want to see an over coached team of robots who have had their natural talent coached out of them by coaches trying to justify their jobs.

Leaders make the best coaches and I don’t see many leaders on our coaching panel all I see is a lot of ‘NICE’ guys who weren’t leaders as players.

I don’t believe you have to have been a great player to be a great coach, I do believe you have to be a leader and a competitive animal to be a great coach which Clarkson was, look at Luke Beveridge he was a 4/10 as a player but also as competitive as anyone with the ball in his area.
As for Adam Simpson he was a star player, leader and competitive beast.

Again disagree
Which is cool we all have opinion.
But look at Scott bros, competitive as all get up and okay players but not great coaches IMO.

Adam Simpson was an elite player. He’s proof that top line players can become successful coaches.
Each to their own, again opinion and mine is no better than yours.
But to me he was okay/good but many more players in that NM outfit that I rate as better than him.
But I don't really care for NM and never have so i am not as qualified to comment as people who bothered to watch them so happy to concede. my original point still stands. replace Simpson for someone else, don't really rate Beveridge as a great coach. Different for sure but not great.

Each to their own, again opinion and mine is no better than yours.
But to me he was okay/good but many more players in that NM outfit that I rate as better than him.
But I don't really care for NM and never have so i am not as qualified to comment as people who bothered to watch them so happy to concede. my original point still stands. replace Simpson for someone else, don't really rate Beveridge as a great coach. Different for sure but not great.
I think I’ve been rebuffed.

Assistant Coach (Midfield) – Cameron Bruce
ok
Assistant Coach (Defenders) – Dale Amos
sure
Assistant Coach (Stoppages) – John Barker
no
no
no
no
no
no
i said no

The appointment of Walls and Russell has allowed for John Barker to take on the position we thought would be filled by another appointment (Mitchell or Hickmott). Let’s hope JB excels in his new appointment although stoppages was not an area where the boys struggled.

Pretty sure John barker was on stoppages last year, and if you watch, it most certainly is an area of concern.
This. He left the stoppages role to oversee our overall strategy... and look what happened to that. Now they're saying the gameplan is too complicated.

What is this perpetual nonsense that Barker is spouting that has the entire club thinking he's a genius? He's got to be one of the least successful assistant coaches in history.

You can't sack an assistant coach without paying him out.
There's no way Barker or Amos were on anything other than 1 year contracts last year. They got signed because we missed out on the only real option this off-season in Sam Mitchell.

Ratten would never come here, and I'm not sure there were really any other major coaching changes.

ok

sure

no

no

no

no

no

no

i said no

This. He left the stoppages role to oversee our overall strategy... and look what happened to that. Now they're saying the gameplan is too complicated.

What is this perpetual nonsense that Barker is spouting that has the entire club thinking he's a genius? He's got to be one of the least successful assistant coaches in history.

There's no way Barker or Amos were on anything other than 1 year contracts last year. They got signed because we missed out on the only real option this off-season in Sam Mitchell.

Ratten would never come here, and I'm not sure there were really any other major coaching changes.
I’m definitely feeling a negative vibe here.

ok

sure

no

no

no

no

no

no

i said no

Not enough changes Jim. Agree and I’m not sure what Barker brings either. Very, very confused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok

sure

no

no

no

no

no

no

i said no

What are the odds of having so many coaches named John Barker at the one club?

ok

sure

no

no

no

no

no

no

i said no

You are assuming that Barker/Amos were on 1 year contracts, but you don't know for sure.

I tend to believe that Barker had a multi-year contract, and that's the reason he is staying on.

Again, our fitness and injury management issues where league worst. That is the area we targetted first. Assistant coaches will be turned over next year once contracts run out (my assumption).

I just feel there is a lot of sameness in the personality type on our coaching panel, choir boy types who say the right things probably interview well but if they weren’t leaders or creative as players how can they be expected to lead as coaches.
I can’t think of many things worse than being considered a ‘NICE’ football club.

So you saw Bolton play to be able to comment that he wasn’t a leader or a competitive beast on the field, did you?

Finished his career at half back....

Would of loved someone with a Black or Bartel level of midfield craft....
Started it at half forward, so has a deep understanding of all the tactical phases of outside and transitional midfield play.

Lots of negativity around Barker here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like our centre clearance rate was quite high when he took over as caretaker coach post the Malthouse rein. Not sure how much direct involvement he had in that?
Throwing extra numbers at the stoppage will do that.

So you saw Bolton play to be able to comment that he wasn’t a leader or a competitive beast on the field, did you?

Bolton as a player was a leader and a hard worker who got the best out of his limited ability I would never doubt his work ethic or how much he wants to succeed.

That doesn’t necessarily mean he is the right man to take the club forward and surrounding him with coaches with limited experience and questionable leadership qualities isn’t giving him the best chance to succeed.

I’m happy to give him next season to prove himself but if we have another season with less than 5 wins and our young players are stifled with an over complicated game plan I can’t see him or many of his assistants surviving 2019

Cameron Bruce played a number of seasons in the midfield at Melbourne.

Bruce coached one of the most potent midfields in the AFL at the Hawks looking after Luke Hodge, Sam Michell and Jorden Lewis across a few premships so must have been doing something right one would reckon.

Last edited:
Didn’t we win a game? Just saying.
Fell over the line against an underwhelming Port, just saying buddy.

Didnt get him the job and just like many teams with coaches sacked mid season, wins like that happen but dont mean much for the caretakers creditentials.

Shall I cite the Giesch as an example?

Are you suggesting that a win against Port deserved giving him the senior gig? I'm not following the logic mate

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back