Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
With Andy Mackay already going, I think theres going to be a big clean out in the Assistant coaching ranks come 2019. Our current set up is http://www.carltonfc.com.au/footy/coaching-panel
I think we could see up to 3-4 changes next year with likely departures of;
Jon Barker - Head of Strategy and High Performance
Dale Amos - Assistant Coach (Stoppages)
Tim Clarke - Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Shane Watson - Head of Development (Defenders)

Who would you like us to target in the offseason?

I would love someone from Geelong, Richmond, Sydneys backline coach as they play with excellent defensive structures. I would also love a Senior figure to mentor Bolts like Neil Craig was in 16 & 17.

I managed to find a list of all teams coaching panels for the 2017 season to get a view. 2018 was not available http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-11/your-clubs-coaching-structures-2017

Note: What I found interesting was Dale Amos was coach of our defence in 16 & 17 when our defensive structures were a lot better, now that has been moved with Cameron Bruce now taking over in 2018. Very surprising our defence has gone so far down hill considering Bruce looked after Hawthorns backline in 2017.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I wouldn't mind Mitchell cutting his teeth on stoppages first, with the mind to become a full midfield/backline coach as he gains more experience, given that while he's credentialed as all get out as a player he actually doesn't have a coaching pedigree yet.

If we're fair dinkum, Carracella's the way we should go, given his role in dynamically altering Richmond's ball movement and behaviour when they don't have the ball. Carracella in more or less the same role he's in at Richmond, luring Ratts from Hawthorn as he's genuinely pretty bloody close to being the best midfield/stoppage coach in the country. Keep David Teague, as our tall structure is likely to replicate Adelaide's and WC's over the last few years; having someone familiar with keeping multiple talls involved and from getting in each other's way is going to be very important soon.

Beyond that, we probably need to have a good look at all of the development coaches. If we're sure that they're the right people for the job - because I don't subscribe to the idea that our development is actually a problem right now, it definitely was in the past. It's more our talent identification towards the end there with Rogers that was the issue as far as I'm concerned, as well as taking pretty footballers instead of good ones - then we shouldn't move them on solely for moving's sake.

It's more our sports scientists and our fitness people that I'd be looking to talk to/audit, as a lack of continuity and a lack of familiarity that comes as a consequence that has crueled us to this extent this season.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What i'd like to see:

1. An experienced person as the new Football Manager. Not Gubby:D. Someone like Chris Bond or Josh Mahoney who are rumoured as gettable. LoGo(Pres), Baldy(CEO), Judd(FD), Bolts(C), who i all support, are all first timers in their role. Some experience in the important FM role would be good.

2. Barker gone.

3. Amos doing the defence. Teague doing the forwards. Bruce doing the strategy. That's from who we've currently got.

4. Mitchell seems like a viable chance to be doing the midfield. From what i've read in the past, Mitchell was particularly close with Bolton.

5. Beyond that, i don't know.

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Has anyone actually got any first hand knowledge of how good a coach Mitchell is? Heck of a player and seems smart but only been coaching one year? I’d like to know more before getting too excited
He was essentially a playing coach last year and in the later years of his tenure at the Hawks

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Has anyone actually got any first hand knowledge of how good a coach Mitchell is? Heck of a player and seems smart but only been coaching one year? I’d like to know more before getting too excited

Jack Redden, Gaff.

These 2 haven't been quality mids before. Redden has been bog ordinary before this year. Gaff has almost exclusively been a wingman before this year. Yeo is another being brilliantly sparingly used through the midfield ala S.Burgoyne.

I think everyone had WC dropping this year because their midfield looked bog ordinary. But instead they are sitting 2nd.

Mitchell, to me, has had an auspicious start. His closeness to Bolton, and the chance to mould Cripps, Kanga, Dow, Fish, SPS and more, makes us a real option for someone who is very highly rated and sought after.

Fingers crossed imo.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Redden, Gaff.

These 2 haven't been quality mids before. Redden has been bog ordinary before this year. Gaff has almost exclusively been a wingman before this year. Yeo is another being brilliantly sparingly used through the midfield ala S.Burgoyne.

I think everyone had WC dropping this year because their midfield looked bog ordinary. But instead they are sitting 2nd.

Mitchell, to me, has had an auspicious start. His closeness to Bolton, and the chance to mould Cripps, Kanga, Dow, Fish, SPS and more, makes us a real option for someone who is very highly rated and sought after.

Fingers crossed imo.

Is that Mitchell though? Not saying he can't coach but people seem to be getting excited on little evidence

Redden was a good player at Brisbane. My read on that is with Priddis and Mitchell gone they are getting a better go

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Is that Mitchell though? Not saying he can't coach but people seem to be getting excited on little evidence

Redden was a good player at Brisbane. My read on that is with Priddis and Mitchell gone they are getting a better go

You asked, i gave. But if you want to designate their midfield improvement to other than the midfield coach, then fair enough.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Cameron Ling is someone I always thought would be a great assistant coach, for what ever reason he found himself in the media but I would say is no guarantee to have his contract extended with C7 as he not particularly popular with viewers.

Spuddie05

Rookie
Jul 25, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

FWIW Judd said he had heard good things about Mitchell's coaching when asked about him on Triple M tonight

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I just want Geelong or Sydneys backline coach. It just seems every time they bring someone into the team they look a superstar in the making ie) Alir Alir and Tom Steward, Jack Henry

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
An interesting tid bit that i read in the last few days. All assistant coaches must be informed if they won't be required next season by August 1. Meaning we will probably hear news next week if anyone is getting the chop.

Cameron Ling is someone I always thought would be a great assistant coach, for what ever reason he found himself in the media but I would say is no guarantee to have his contract extended with C7 as he not particularly popular with viewers.
Can confirm

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

No thanks.

Back