jpfalvo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Robert Walls.

Robert Walls.

Robert Walls.
My recollection of this thread when Walls was announced, was first by some... rubbished.

Then when official by the club, it was said happy to take voluntary assistance.

So now your saying Robert Walls is the Neil Craig replacement solution?
Our Neil Balme or Choco William's of Brendan Mcartney?

Yep, would seem more coloring of the facts to suit the narrative. Given we were all gung ho about Mitchell to fill this role.

I think we all agree Bolton needs genuine strategic and game day assistance from an experienced hand. Have we got that added to the senior assistant ranks...answer is simply No.

Brad Lloyd and Andrew Russel great additions for their specialized areas. But we still lack that Craig replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hilarious. Care to elaborate? So your dismissing the fact we chased Mitchell to fill this need?

No I disagree we all agree

How does a need mean Bolton or his coaches need help? Maybe we wanted Mitchell because we only chase quality? You only add when it’s the right person.

Don’t see how it’s hilarious?

Strange sense of humour

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Fell over the line against an underwhelming Port, just saying buddy.

Didnt get him the job and just like many teams with coaches sacked mid season, wins like that happen but dont mean much for the caretakers creditentials.

Shall I cite the Giesch as an example?

Are you suggesting that a win against Port deserved giving him the senior gig? I'm not following the logic mate

Dont call me buddy.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No I disagree we all agree

How does a need mean Bolton or his coaches need help? Maybe we wanted Mitchell because we only chase quality? You only add when it’s the right person.

Don’t see how it’s hilarious?

Strange sense of humour
To clarify are you saying Bolton doesn't need a hand? Ie. He didn't perform poorly last season whether it be through his own faults or the coaching structure around him.

When the players are clearly confused with the gameplan and playing like they did last season it is more than reasonable to look at your coaching group and say...'wtf are you guys doing'.

It is very concerning that the coaching department didnt have a big overhaul or bring in any experienced talent to help with coaching, structure, strategy etc.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
To clarify are you saying Bolton doesn't need a hand? Ie. He didn't perform poorly last season whether it be through his own faults or the coaching structure around him.

When the players are clearly confused with the gameplan and playing like they did last season it is more than reasonable to look at your coaching group and say...'wtf are you guys doing'.

It is very concerning that the coaching department didnt have a big overhaul or bring in any experienced talent to help with coaching, structure, strategy etc.

I believe the club knows more than you or I do

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I think people are totally missing that, given the hand we were dealt this year, the club focused on more than the win/loss & for & against numbers.

This season will actually pay the club back in spades within a couple of years. The interest from McGovern, Setterfield & even to a lesser extent Shiel, supports your post.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha of course they know more than us. In other news the sky is blue...

The proof will obviously be in the pudding but if we have another season like 2018 then the coaching panel needs to go.
(We need to see a team engaged in a gameplan that works)

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha of course they know more than us. In other news the sky is blue...

The proof will obviously be in the pudding but if we have another season like 2018 then the coaching panel needs to go.
(We need to see a team engaged in a gameplan that works)

And you have a go at me for pointing out the obvious?

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton

Firstly we have a young group.
Secondly out of that young group were many injuries, so that the gameplan that was starting to get established in 2017, was destabilized due to in-continuity .

I dont think the game plan was wrong, I think that the likes of the following players for varying reasons were unable to follow the game plan. Those in bold have been delisted

Byrne (back from injury)
Mullet (not up to it)
Dow (first year)
garlett ( virtual first year)
Kennedy (played with ankle all year)
Lang (back from injury)
Marchbank (injured)
Harry (virtual first year)
Murphy (missed half the season)
LOB (first year)
Pickett (injured most of year)
Plowman (missed half the season with injury)
polson (first year)
Weitering (injured)
Williamson (out for season)
Docherty (out for season)
kerridge (not up to it)
Lamb (not up to it)
O'shea (not up to it)
graham (not up to it)
Shaw (not up to it)

I believe Walls was brought in to assess the coaches across the year including bolts.

He will have a big say in who stays from 2020 onwards.
Not quite the impression i had. I read it more as a being a sounding board / advice provider if called upon by coaching staff.

Did not think he (Walls) was evaluating coach performance.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Not quite the impression i had. I read it more as a being a sounding board / advice provider if called upon by coaching staff.

Yes Prima facie Walls is senior mentor coach, but I have a gut feel assessment and evaluation of coaching staff may just be part of the brief.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Agree. Lloyd and in part Judd make the decisions on coaches. Walls is purely an experienced sounding board as a part time volunteer. People shouldn't read to much into it

Yes Prima facie Walls is senior mentor coach, but I have a gut feel assessment and evaluation of coaching staff may just be part of the brief.
I am hoping that is not the case tbh. Guess we will find out end of next season.

onesilop

Senior List
Apr 30, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree. Lloyd and in part Judd make the decisions on coaches. Walls is purely an experienced sounding board as a part time volunteer. People shouldn't read to much into it

I think he is also taking the role of billionaire backer liaison, maybe they are trying to get a trusted set of eyes on the inside

Back