btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Would some kind soul be able to explain the Barker derision? Is it linked to his head coach stint at all?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s had a variety of line coaching roles and those parts of the team have consistently performed poorly, in a noticeable manner.

For example, he was toppages coach this year under Bolton, and this area sucked, particularly defensive stoppages

He also happens to be a nice bloke and so consistently keeps his job, rotating to a new position next year and being poor again.

Would some kind soul be able to explain the Barker derision? Is it linked to his head coach stint at all?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If anything the time he was caretaker was the only time I saw positive things posted about him, the derision pre-dates that.

I have never quite been able to understand why he is maligned by people here.

It's quite obvious that at club level he is much more highly rated by those who work with him. He has worked under a number of coaches now and Teague has worked with him for a couple of years. I'm sure that if Teague didn't value his contribution at all he wouldn't be at the club next year.

MissBlueBagger93

Premium Gold
Jul 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s had a variety of line coaching roles and those parts of the team have consistently performed poorly, in a noticeable manner.

For example, he was toppages coach this year under Bolton, and this area sucked, particularly defensive stoppages

He also happens to be a nice bloke and so consistently keeps his job, rotating to a new position next year and being poor again.

If anything the time he was caretaker was the only time I saw positive things posted about him, the derision pre-dates that.

It's quite obvious that at club level he is much more highly rated by those who work with him. He has worked under a number of coaches now and Teague has worked with him for a couple of years. I'm sure that if Teague didn't value his contribution at all he wouldn't be at the club next year.

Very interesting. Thank you both

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Far out Barks is copping a bum's wrap around here. He did a decent job holding the club together after Salthouse was given the ass, why do we always have to poo poo Barker and what he brings to the club ?
I honestly feel he is somewhat of a scapegoat amongst the supporters, and I see no reason why we shouldn't keep an assistant on who has been with us during our time in the rear end of the ladder, i certainly trust the club's head honchos as to the expertise and intel Barker brings to the club.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton

Was Barker responsible for not playing Murphy, Curnow, even Gibbons in the midfield, or was this a Bolton driven initiative?

he came pre-maligned from hawthorn........

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Struggling to find top candidates to replace Barker & Fraser?

I'd say Teague is being loyal to the guys who were right behind him in getting the job, and the club are in turn backing in Teague with the team he wants.

I'm disappointed with both retains i must say. But oh well, hope Teague has enough "it" to overcome the hurdles.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I'd say Teague is being loyal to the guys who were right behind him in getting the job, and the club are in turn backing in Teague with the team he wants.

I'm disappointed with both retains i must say. But oh well, hope Teague has enough "it" to overcome the hurdles.

Another way to look at it is that DT with both Barker and Fraser did very well. Who knows who were the weakest points in his team but 2 have been replaced which only makes them a stronger team

Back