Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year will be Barker's 14th in the AFL coaching system.

Regardless of what some may think of him on the outside looking in, you simply do not last that long in the system if he is not rated by those who would know what he brings to the table.
Reminds me of 2 assistant coaches we had at Richmond that were like untouchable and always survived
Brian Royal & Jade Rawlings these 2 were like bullet proof coaches came and went but they survived

Some weeks the NBs look really good, other weeks they play like they have NFI idea what they are doing.

Not making excuses, but some level of inconsistency is understandable. One week the team might be stacked with Carlton players, the next week they are almost finding ring-ins to make a squad. That and being forced to name Carlton-listed players (like 3 rucks), can't make it easy.

I guess a good coach would have a plan to manage that and deliver cohesion. But definitely a major factor for Fraser to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we dont make finals next year in the VFL fraser has to go imo
When was the last time our VFL side looked other than a rable under Fraser. He should have fallen on his record, nice guy or not. Averaging one win for every three games is unsatisfactory in anyone's language. Where is the accountability?

Didn't our VFL side field mostly very poor teams? Hopefully that changes and things change following that. Can't blame Fraser for some of those teams we fielded. See how he goes next year and then we'll know better, should hopefully have a stronger side next year.
A coach needs to get the best out if his players. Don’t think Josh has, regardless of results. Back in the Pagan era Teague got our ordinary vfl team into two grand finals.

Dirk

A coach needs to get the best out if his players. Don’t think Josh has, regardless of results. Back in the Pagan era Teague got our ordinary vfl team into two grand finals.

Dirk

Yeah I guess whether he got the best out of them or not is a matter of opinion and I didn't watch them enough to have an opinion there. I just know they had a very ordinary side which was filled with really poor young players, cooked older players, players who's fitness levels were really poor and poorly structured not to mention key NB listed players being out of the side a lot.

VFL coach's role isn't just to get the best out of their players, it's to support the senior team and that means developing players and giving young and raw players a go as well as fielding sides who are very poorly structured. You kind of have to do what the senior team want you to do and be very accomodating to them.

I'm ok with giving Fraser another opportunity and see whether he can get a hopefully stronger side playing better football.

Yeah I guess whether he got the best out of them or not is a matter of opinion and I didn't watch them enough to have an opinion there. I just know they had a very ordinary side which was filled with really poor young players, cooked older players, players who's fitness levels were really poor and poorly structured not to mention key NB listed players being out of the side a lot.

VFL coach's role isn't just to get the best out of their players, it's to support the senior team and that means developing players and giving young and raw players a go as well as fielding sides who are very poorly structured. You kind of have to do what the senior team want you to do and be very accomodating to them.

I'm ok with giving Fraser another opportunity and see whether he can get a hopefully stronger side playing better football.
Sounds like you are just making excuses for Fraser. The greater the development in the vfl team the stronger the competition for senior spots. Too many players in the seniors were protected by a poorly performing vfl team. That’s just my opinion

Back in the Pagan era Teague got our ordinary vfl team into two grand finals.

This Teague fella sounds promising.

Anyone know what he's doing these days? He available to coach our VFL team?

:)

Last edited:
Sounds like you are just making excuses for Fraser. The greater the development in the vfl team the stronger the competition for senior spots. Too many players in the seniors were protected by a poorly performing vfl team. That’s just my opinion

If having a poor group of players at your disposal is not a reasonable excuse then your expectations aren't realistic. No coach is having success with a poor group of players. Northern Blues finished 10th which for the players they had at hand is about right IMO. They should push for finals next season unless there is a heap of injuries or they lose key players. I am making an excuse for Fraser. A logical and reasonable excuse.

If having a poor group of players at your disposal is not a reasonable excuse then your expectations aren't realistic. No coach is having success with a poor group of players. Northern Blues finished 10th which for the players they had at hand is about right IMO. They should push for finals next season unless there is a heap of injuries or they lose key players. I am making an excuse for Fraser. A logical and reasonable excuse.

I just had a look at Essendon VFL. Have a look at their list. Their depth is quite poor. Despite this, they spanked us both times finished 4th with a 12 win 6 loss ratio and a very healthy 133 %. We on the other hand finished 10th with only two AFL aligned teams falling below us. We ended up with a 7 win 11 loss record and a percentage of 85%. We cant afford as a club to lower the bar as all we are doing is fostering mediocrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back