Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I just had a look at Essendon VFL. Have a look at their list. Their depth is quite poor. Despite this, they spanked us both times finished 4th with a 12 win 6 loss ratio and a very healthy 133 %. We on the other hand finished 10th with only two AFL aligned teams falling below us. We ended up with a 7 win 11 loss record and a percentage of 85%. We cant afford as a club to lower the bar as all we are doing is fostering mediocrity.
Their VFL squad is built around a solid foundation of Heppell, Younan & Hocking.
What Carlton/Bullants have done a poor job of is recruiting and retaining solid state league players to help build a solid side, had they managed to keep or bring back Meese, Marcon & Ballard, it'd have provided a platform to build a decent vfl squad around which in turn would have created a better environment for young players to develop in.
Additionally, whether it's fair or not, there has long been a perception that for VFL listed blokes to really showcase their wares, they'd have to leave PCO..
Fingers crossed that the club reviews its practices at the lower level as something has been amiss for quite some time.

Their VFL squad is built around a solid foundation of Heppell, Younan & Hocking.
What Carlton/Bullants have done a poor job of is recruiting and retaining solid state league players to help build a solid side, had they managed to keep or bring back Meese, Marcon & Ballard, it'd have provided a platform to build a decent vfl squad around which in turn would have created a better environment for young players to develop in.
Additionally, whether it's fair or not, there has long been a perception that for VFL listed blokes to really showcase their wares, they'd have to leave PCO..
Fingers crossed that the club reviews its practices at the lower level as something has been amiss for quite some time.
So we can’t hold the coach accountable for three miserable years. It’s our poor list management that is to blame for our kids stagnating in the vfl. Thought Lobbe was a leader. So if we attribute this to poor list management, should we be severing ties with SOS? Who is going to be held to account if the coach is being protected?

So we can’t hold the coach accountable for three miserable years. It’s our poor list management that is to blame for our kids stagnating in the vfl. Thought Lobbe was a leader. So if we attribute this to poor list management, should we be severing ties with SOS? Who is going to be held to account if the coach is being protected?

Did I say that? No, I made no comment regarding Frasers performance, however you seem to have an axe to grind here.
A lack of investment in the Bullants, when contrasted with the likes of Box Hill, has been apparent for years.
Placing Carlton players to the side, the Bullants have one of the weaker lists in the comp, it's any wonder that they've failed to set the world on fire.
Personally, I wouldn't be averse to a new coach as there were times this year when Fraser seemed at a loss as to how he could get his msg across, however, I also don't expect a new coach to miraculously turn around a poorly run club.
In the same manner that our AFL sides fortunes have begun to turn around once better operators were in place, our VFL affiliates off field operations require strengthening to really blossom.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

We struggled to manage our AFL side and the club itself properly for years, what hope did we have off getting the VFL side right? Hopefully we are getting to a position of strength where we can turn that around too. I think we have had bigger fish to fry over the past few years.

We struggled to manage our AFL side and the club itself properly for years, what hope did we have off getting the VFL side right? Hopefully we are getting to a position of strength where we can turn that around too. I think we have had bigger fish to fry over the past few years.

Fair point; Get the AFL side right and then worry about the VFL.

BUT to some extent the AFL needs the VFL side to flourish (and develop players) in order to reach its own full potential.

A bit of a Catch (best) 22...

Did I say that? No, I made no comment regarding Frasers performance, however you seem to have an axe to grind here.
A lack of investment in the Bullants, when contrasted with the likes of Box Hill, has been apparent for years.
Placing Carlton players to the side, the Bullants have one of the weaker lists in the comp, it's any wonder that they've failed to set the world on fire.
Personally, I wouldn't be averse to a new coach as there were times this year when Fraser seemed at a loss as to how he could get his msg across, however, I also don't expect a new coach to miraculously turn around a poorly run club.
In the same manner that our AFL sides fortunes have begun to turn around once better operators were in place, our VFL affiliates off field operations require strengthening to really blossom.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are definitely right about the quality of the Northern Blues list over recent years & the inability to retain players.

From my observations there has generally only been maybe 3-5 VFL standard players on the list for much of the last 5 years. The absence of Tom Wilson this season due to injury didn't help matters. Fisher & Anderson have shown themselves to be quality at VFL level, Palmer was good in 2018, but had an absolute 'mare this year. I suspect if anyone else had put their hand up Palmer may well have been dropped this year.

What has been a huge challenge for the Northern Blues is the number of 18, 19 & 20 year old Carlton listed players in the team each week, some of whom have had little continuity due to long term injuries & sheer lack of preparedness to play at this level. When you see Ben Silvagni holding down a KP in his first season on an AFL list it is a good indication of where the Northern Blues were at this season. It was also quite revealing that in the last few games of the season Kye Quirk showed up some players who had played more games than him at this level.

Looking ahead one wonders how the Northern Blues will attract 'journeyman' players to the club & retain them on the list. The successful VFL clubs have a number of these players on their list & generally keep them for more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Are we expecting any movement in our coaching ranks? Anyone know the contract status of those remaining?

I think it’s common opinion that we need an overhaul as we have some underwhelming assistants, only really Amos has proven to be quality.

I also think we need a senior head to guide Teague as he has been slow to react in game, also 18 out of 27 games in charge he’s let teams get a 5 goal run.

And for the love of god can this finally be the year we get rid of Barker.

I’d like to see some quality assistant brought in with good tenure at successful clubs, people like Scott Burns, Robert Harvey, etc

who would you target

Michael Voss would be my first choice to support Teague.
Looks like he’s finally taken the next step at port.
Wouldnt mind Voss from Port, Leppitsch from Tigers and Lappin from Geelong.

With Power already here we could have an all Brisbane 3-peat asssistant line up. That’s the mentality we need at Carlton!

With Power already here we could have an all Brisbane 3-peat asssistant line up. That’s the mentality we need at Carlton!
Also would look at Solomon, seemed highly regarded as a coach, even though I loathed him as a player.

Yet we have Barker ..... yay us.

Biggest one for me is needing a new forwards coach.

Despite some good cattle we weren't very efficient down there. I think Cam Bruce is forwards coach and its his first year doing so...has no experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotty Burns going to Adelaide to be senior assistant
Stevie J off to GWS

really wanted Scotty burns to come to us, he would have been perfect. Been at West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn - these are the types we need. Quality assistants with Good tenure at successful clubs

Adelaide are getting a good one.

Scotty Burns going to Adelaide to be senior assistant
Stevie J off to GWS

really wanted Scotty burns to come to us, he would have been perfect. Adelaide are getting a good one.
They don’t deserve him

Massive NO to John Barker.
Massive NO to Dean Soloman. (nothing to do with his playing career at *).

Open mind to anyone else.
Why no to Solomon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back