Assistant coach (ruck) - Tom Bellchambers
Development coach & VFL Senior Coach – Leigh Tudor

Development coach & VFL Assistant Coach – Cameron Roberts
(VFL assistant?) - Bernard Sheppard
(VFL forward?) - Jacob Thompson
(VFL defence?) - Marcus Barham

Last edited by a moderator:

Bye Bye Mark Harvey........another change just announced

"being moved into a different role" is that really any better? Shouldn't we just be looking at fresh faces?

"being moved into a different role" is that really any better? Shouldn't we just be looking at fresh faces?

Says he won't be in a coaching role. Not sure what else he'll do, but he is a three time EFC premiership player that seemingly has a good relationship with the players, and significant experience in the industry generally. I'm sure there's something he can do with the other departures going on.

Says he won't be in a coaching role. Not sure what else he'll do, but he is a three time EFC premiership player that seemingly has a good relationship with the players, and significant experience in the industry generally. I'm sure there's something he can do with the other departures going on.

Bouncer at post match disco

I'd say he's being moved to be with Sheeds or something like that.

So to move the Harvey discussion into here. Anybody else reckon Tudor will step into Rutten's shoes as defensive coordinator? I feel like Cara would be better off just focusing on the offensive gameplan like he was at Richmond rather than having him spread between midfield and doing that, with Kelly obviously focusing on stoppages. So something like:

Head: Rutten

Offensive coordinator: Caracella
Defensive coordinator: Tudor

Back line: ???
Midfield: ???
Forward line: Jordan (he got sold a lemon, think he'll be better next year)
Stoppages: Kelly

Development/VFL: Mark Corrigan

The defensive coach could be worth having a look at someone like Ben Stratton, I'm always keen to get someone that's been under Clarko's tutelage and someone fresh out of the game. Midfield is tough, if someone like David Mundy retires he'd be one to look at.

So to move the Harvey discussion into here. Anybody else reckon Tudor will step into Rutten's shoes as defensive coordinator? I feel like Cara would be better off just focusing on the offensive gameplan like he was at Richmond rather than having him spread between midfield and doing that, with Kelly obviously focusing on stoppages. So something like:

Head: Rutten

Offensive coordinator: Caracella
Defensive coordinator: Tudor

Back line: ???
Midfield: ???
Forward line: Jordan (he got sold a lemon, think he'll be better next year)
Stoppages: Kelly

Development/VFL: Mark Corrigan

The defensive coach could be worth having a look at someone like Ben Stratton, I'm always keen to get someone that's been under Clarko's tutelage and someone fresh out of the game. Midfield is tough, if someone like David Mundy retires he'd be one to look at.

Problem will be the reduction in the budget means we'll likely see guys having to double up e.g. Caracella doing Offensive + Midfield.

Joel Corey has been released from the Bulldogs, who generally have quality midfield movement and setup, might be worth a look there. We know Solomon is available (though I don't see any reason to pursue him specifically).

If the Midfield has been a consistent problem for us, I think that's where to need to make some efforts to get an experienced midfield coach in to work with.

I'm sure there's going to be other guys available moving forward, as well as retiring players of various quality. As much as Pinchy (Stratton) was a nuisance on-field, if he's a quality coaching prospect then I think we should pursue it. It's about picking the best people available, not the ones we like the most e.g. Solomon.

Problem will be the reduction in the budget means we'll likely see guys having to double up e.g. Caracella doing Offensive + Midfield.

Joel Corey has been released from the Bulldogs, who generally have quality midfield movement and setup, might be worth a look there. We know Solomon is available (though I don't see any reason to pursue him specifically).

If the Midfield has been a consistent problem for us, I think that's where to need to make some efforts to get an experienced midfield coach in to work with.

I'm sure there's going to be other guys available moving forward, as well as retiring players of various quality. As much as Pinchy (Stratton) was a nuisance on-field, if he's a quality coaching prospect then I think we should pursue it. It's about picking the best people available, not the ones we like the most e.g. Solomon.
Perhaps we move Tudor into defence and just have Cara as the "senior assistant"?

The Age is reporting Harvey, a three-time premiership player and former senior coach of Fremantle, has been replaced by fellow assistant coach James Kelly effective immediately, with Harvey being moved to a different role outside of the coaching department.

Love it Kelly into the mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scout / opposition analyst / coterie handler

Interesting combo 🤔

Probably a product of salary cuts to have two part time roles combined rather than a full time scout/oppo analyst and a full time coterie handler. But not a bad combo considering where we’re at.

I don't mind the move. Lets face it if he is in anyway qualified to be a senior coach at some point then surely he can handle opposition analysis.
I'm not as worried about the Coterie side of things but I'd guess he'd do alright there too.

The pro scout role is one we have never had but a few clubs in recent years have had. I does fit in with opposition analysis as it is more about scouting AFL listed players rather than the under 18 stuff.
As for the other part. Seems to be a role to make them keep parting with their money.

The pro scout role is one we have never had but a few clubs in recent years have had. I does fit in with opposition analysis as it is more about scouting AFL listed players rather than the under 18 stuff.
As for the other part. Seems to be a role to make them keep parting with their money.
So Adelaide has Binuk in this role who's highly regarded and a data scientist and we now have Mark Harvey? Smells like another Essington appointment tbh.

Mitch Cleary saying that Soloman and Stevie J are possibilities to join our coaching group. It also seems like Luke Ball has been moved on too (think he was stood down for a while this season and he now won’t be returning)

"With Harvey's move coinciding with John Worsfold's tenure ending, the Bombers are expected to make several changes to their coaching panel for next season.

Former Gold Coast assistant coach Dean Solomon, who was explored as an option by the Bombers ahead of this season, has been linked again for 2021.

He was made redundant by the Suns earlier this year despite having two years to run on his contract and is weighing whether he returns to football or continues investing time in the gym he recently opened in northern NSW.

Out-of-contract Sydney forwards coach Steve Johnson is another who has been linked to the Bombers.

The former mercurial Geelong forward has a relationship from his time at the Cats with current Bombers assistant Blake Caracella and was previously managed by Bombers head of football Dan Richardson.

Key Bombers staffer Luke Ball, who was in charge of the club's VFL program, has also lost his position at the club for next season."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back