Assistant coach (ruck) - Tom Bellchambers
Development coach & VFL Senior Coach – Leigh Tudor

Development coach & VFL Assistant Coach – Cameron Roberts
(VFL assistant?) - Bernard Sheppard
(VFL forward?) - Jacob Thompson
(VFL defence?) - Marcus Barham

Last edited by a moderator:

Interview with Gia
“Playing as a forward and coaching in that space, you get an understanding of what you don’t like from backmen. Bringing that to our players will be important,” he said.

“The thing I’m trying to work on hard with my group individually and collectively is to build relationships. That’s been a main focus for the past few months so I can build that chemistry with them to guide them through what can be challenging times throughout a season.

“Galvanising the group to work as one is the main thing. We play to a system and if we’re working in isolation, it’s not going to work. Building trust in each other through repetition and how we structure our training sessions will give them the best opportunity to feel comfortable when they get out there on game day.

“We’re putting them in challenging scenarios, like when they’re defending in space and have numbers down, and how they can troubleshoot and problem solve. Hopefully once they get out in the heat of the battle, that becomes instinctive and they back their read of the play.”

While there’s plenty of hard work ahead for the new-look defence, Giansiracusa said early signs were positive.

“I’m quite comfortable with where the group is heading. I’ve been impressed with the way they’ve stuck their teeth into things. It’s a hardworking group,” he said.

“If you took a snapshot of where our guys were at pre-Christmas, in early January and now, they’ve taken some really good steps. We’ve got confidence that will transfer into strong performances in games.”

Hopefully also spelling it out to the players exactly how the dogs inflict their annual demolition of us.
Well he would not be explaining that to the back 6. That is a conversation for the forwards who continually let them attack from half back.

Confirms Joe Atley has signed, most of it is pretty inane though

Confirms Joe Atley has signed, most of it is pretty inane though
Eh, it's not the worst.
  • Tudor and Roberts are looking after the first to third year players in the AFL this year
  • Most of the VFL staff are gone, new strength and conditioning coach, new physio
  • Leigh Tudor, Cam Roberts and Bernard Sheppard are running the VFL program
  • VFL program will mimic the AFL, speak the same language and play the same game plan (as you'd expect)
  • Mahoney and Rutten are really focused on development
  • VFL season starts mid-April
He was also running the scratch matches in 2020 so it's not that different to his role last year, just formalised.

Bit of googling says that Bernard Sheppard was part of our VFLW coaching team in 2019 too.

Sheppard and the other VFL coaches aren't part of the AFL coaching group and don't really belong in this thread though.

Eh, it's not the worst.
  • Tudor and Roberts are looking after the first to third year players in the AFL this year
  • Most of the VFL staff are gone, new strength and conditioning coach, new physio
  • Leigh Tudor, Cam Roberts and Bernard Sheppard are running the VFL program
  • VFL program will mimic the AFL, speak the same language and play the same game plan (as you'd expect)
  • Mahoney and Rutten are really focused on development
  • VFL season starts mid-April
He was also running the scratch matches in 2020 so it's not that different to his role last year, just formalised.

Bit of googling says that Bernard Sheppard was part of our VFLW coaching team in 2019 too.

Sheppard and the other VFL coaches aren't part of the AFL coaching group and don't really belong in this thread though.
Pretty sure all three are also "development coaches".

Pretty sure all three are also "development coaches".
Not from what Tudor said in the interview, and they're not listed on the club website coaches section for the AFL (which also doesn't include Kel anymore so it's been updated pretty recently).

I'm guessing their wages also don't come out of the AFL's footy department soft-cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quotey bits from Dan Jordan's interview on the club site;

Jordan said the experimentation inside 50 would continue in the lead-up to round one.

"At the moment we’re having a look at a few things up forward," Jordan said.

"Patty Ambrose was going to do a bit more forward training in pre-season, but is still recovering from his foot injury.

"Michael Hurley was exposed to more forward time before his hip mishap, but we’ll keep him going there.

"Pete’s (Wright) had a really good pre-season to date in terms of how he competes and being the aerial target we want. I’ve been really impressed with how he's fitted into the system. The guys are really starting to value him for his work in the air and his attitude.

"Young Harry Jones has taken big leaps forward. He’s still got a long way to go, and he knows that, but fans should be excited to see where he can get to over the next two to three years.

"Clarke and Zaharakis are injured but have played a fair bit of footy up forward as well, so somewhere in that mix of 10 or 11 is what we’ll settle on."

Jordan said he was looking for more scoreboard impact from the midfielders to complement the new blood inside 50.

"There’s no doubt we need more goals from our midfielders, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we need them when they’re playing just in midfield," he said.

"We want those guys to have the capacity to run through forward roles. We saw that with Kyle Langford last year, in terms of the impact he had when he went forward. We’d love to expose Merrett, Shiel, Snelling and Parish to hit the scoreboard and between them kick 30 goals and become a new avenue of scoring for us.

"We’d love them to challenge defenders and be able to get forward and kick goals while they’re in midfield as well. We see good sides having three to four goals a game from their midfield.

"I think you’ll see Smith and Shiel spend more time forward. We’re really experimenting with that mix at the moment. We’ve lost Mosquito, Fantasia and a bit of bite down there.

"It’s also exciting to look at Archie Perkins and where he fits into the mix. He’s showing really good signs as a small and tall option."

Personnel aside, Jordan said the Bombers had adjusted their attacking methods.

"We certainly want to improve our pressure and keep the ball inside our forward half more, which should translate to more scoring opportunities," he said.

"We’re also tinkering with our method going inside 50. You’ll see differences there to previous years."

"I’d love to be able to have Hurley or Hooker as a mainstay in our forward line, just for that experience and competitiveness," he said.

"The flexibility to be able to play at both ends is attractive, so how we settle down that mix will evolve over that next month or so.

"We’ve also got Stewart and Laverde training as defenders at the moment, but we know they’re proven up forward as well."

"'Zacka' (Zaharakis) was playing near career-best footy in a specific role for our team," Jordan said.

"I was really happy with his last month before the quad, and then obviously he’s had some clean-ups over pre-season. Hopefully he’s back to full fitness in three or four weeks.

"I absolutely see him playing the (forward) role, but we need to tread carefully with his age. When he’s up and going, his experience, selflessness and ability to play a role for team will be invaluable for us."

Not from what Tudor said in the interview, and they're not listed on the club website coaches section for the AFL (which also doesn't include Kel anymore so it's been updated pretty recently).

I'm guessing their wages also don't come out of the AFL's footy department soft-cap.
Fair enough. Wonder who we try to get for stoppages coach. Not sure on who's available.

When Kelly's resignation was announced they said they were planning to fill the job from within, so I guess one of the other coaches adds it to their duties.
Perhaps. Maybe Hocking? He's coach of the JHA which wouldn't be too strenuous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back