2022 Coaching Structure
Senior Coach – Ben Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach (midfield and team offence) – Blake Caracella
Assistant coach (back line and team defence) – Daniel Giansiracusa
Assistant coach (forward) - Dale Tapping
Assistant coach (ruck) - Tom Bellchambers
Development coach – Leigh Tudor
Development coach – Cameron Roberts

Development coach - Natalie Wood (also our AFLW Coach)
VFL Head Coach - Brent Stanton
VFL Assistant Coach (defence) - Dustin Fletcher
VFL Assistant Coach (midfield) - Ben Jolley
VFL Assistant coach (forward) - Michael Hurley

Last edited:
Not sure the stats could ever truly determine how functional a forward line is. Going by eye, it’s clear to me our forward line was dysfunctional. Why does it look as though our midfielders bomb long to a pack? Maybe there are no other options? Why are there on many many occasions no forwards in our forward 50m?
Agree! Stats are obviously an important measure of performance, but imo simply using your eyes and seeing whats unfolding infront of you can give you a greater insight & understanding on what's working and what's not in general play. It's never the same week in week out, opposition is vastly different, with different strengths & weaknesses, adjustments are more often made by what the coaches are seeing on the field as opposed to what they generally see on paper imo.

Of course you do. It's funny how you only hold Dan Jordan to this standard because you don't like him when we've failed all across the field against these sides, but the forward line is the area that's consistently performed well this year...
Okay. We'll see when another club picks him up to be their forwards coach.

Okay. We'll see when another club picks him up to be their forwards coach.
Yep. But really, how good will our forward line be next year with a "proper forwards" coach because if he was an improper one then we can expect it to be 1st in all those measures I listed with a bullet...

Teague would be good but I also wouldn't mind shifting around a bit. Gia won assistant coach of the year as a forwards coach. I'd be looking to poach someone like Jarrad McVeigh to coach our defenders.

Yep. But really, how good will our forward line be next year with a "proper forwards" coach because if he was an improper one then we can expect it to be 1st in all those measures I listed with a bullet...

I’m not sure it’s that simplistic.

A little more consistency would be nice, maybe we’ll score less freely against lower ranked sides, but more consistently against the better defences.

Rocket science, rocket science, rocket science.
Small forward job description= read the play, { be front and centre or slip behind,} don't fly with the big boys they're your bread and butter.
Wouldn't it be easier to recruit footballers who can think for themselves.

Teague would be good but I also wouldn't mind shifting around a bit. Gia won assistant coach of the year as a forwards coach. I'd be looking to poach someone like Jarrad McVeigh to coach our defenders.
Maybe this is the reason Jordan was moved on

Don’t think that much change is needed in the one off season. Think Gia has done a great job with the defenders this year considering what he’s had to work with, id like to see what he could do with another off season of growth.

Don’t think that much change is needed in the one off season. Think Gia has done a great job with the defenders this year considering what he’s had to work with, id like to see what he could do with another off season of growth.
It depends what's available and what we've poached. Gia's been good but as I said, he was a fantastic forward coach as well. Regardless, I'd love someone fresh out of playing the last couple of years as an assistant, that sort of thing has produced good results previously.

Shaun Burgoyne would be the top of my list.

You could not say the forward line was functional. What I do about Dan was the players all loved him when he was VFL coach. Anyway results are results.

I do not know what the messaging was but one thing is for sure and that is what we have needs to learn a lot about craft. Too often everyone is in the leading lanes and talls are running over smalls and each other. Now that is not just forwards as our wings and a few of our midfielders where getting in the way as well.
So as you say an experienced forward coach or a recent forward would seem to be ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a stat for David King right there lol
2021 top 8 vs top 8.jpeg

That's a ladder for the top 8 playing each other, courtesy of @philohk.

Statistically we have the worst percentage of top 8 sides. We are the second lowest scoring side in the top 8 (worst when adjusted for equal games played). Results would have even more stark if Peter Wright didn't play the game of his life against Footscray.

It's quite obvious there are teams who are proficient scoring against top 8 sides like Melbourne and Brisbane. There are teams who are average like Port and Geelong. We and GWS are by far the worst.

It's all well and good to read your creased up copy of the AFL record and point out that we're 4th for points scored this season. To the layman, that must mean we must have a great forward line right? Of course - just like the sole metric of being a good midfielder is racking up 25 disposals.

It's very easy to fill our boots aginst Norf and St Kilda, but we statistically and objectively struggle against the better sides. That's how we need to improve. Not beating up on rabbles.

Last edited:
It's very easy to fill our boots aginst Norf and St Kilda, but we statistically and objectively struggle against the better sides. That's how we need to improve. Not beating up on rabbles.
The best teams do both, but I take your point.

The best teams are also really good at keeping their opponent from scoring. Defence wins premierships etc. It bears out statistically too, but I trust I don’t need to look it up for you :)

Let's look at defence and midfield as well, given that.

Midfield:

-40 clearances against top 8 sides, +27 against bottom 10 sides
-177 contested possessions against top 8 sides, +52 against bottom 10 sides
-52 inside 50's against top 8 sides, +96 against bottom 10 sides

Defence:

11th for scores/inside 50 at 43.73%, against top 8 sides 45.47%, which would drop us to 16th
12th for goals/inside 50 at 23.53%, against top 8 sides 24.95%, which would drop us to 17th

All areas of the ground were significantly weaker against top 8 sides.

jaymie graham is leaving the eagles apparently, another who could fill a vacancy. Very highly regarded.

Given how well the no name defense worked under Gia and how the team defense has started to improve I would be reluctant to move him from defense.

Rocket science, rocket science, rocket science.
Small forward job description= read the play, { be front and centre or slip behind,} don't fly with the big boys they're your bread and butter.
Wouldn't it be easier to recruit footballers who can think for themselves.
lesson One, kick it through the big sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back