2022 Coaching Structure
Senior Coach – Ben Rutten (thread)
Assistant coach (midfield and team offence) – Blake Caracella
Assistant coach (back line and team defence) – Daniel Giansiracusa
Assistant coach (forward) - Dale Tapping
Assistant coach (ruck) - Tom Bellchambers
Development coach – Leigh Tudor
Development coach – Cameron Roberts

Development coach - Natalie Wood (also our AFLW Coach)
VFL Head Coach - Brent Stanton
VFL Assistant Coach (defence) - Dustin Fletcher
VFL Assistant Coach (midfield) - Ben Jolley
VFL Assistant coach (forward) - Michael Hurley

Last edited:
We do, if you click on the "coach" prefix it'll show up.

Cheers Dan, you were great when given something that didn't resemble a 96 used volvo in terms of quality.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/673076

Apparently wasn’t offered another contract. Seemed to have done a pretty good job this year with a makeshift forward line…
Both years as forwards coach have been pretty makeshift... the whole appointment was makeshift really. Was supposed to be Hayden Skipworth's job but he quit on the first day of pre-season to head up Collingwood's academy, so Jordan got promoted basically because he was there. Don't think it helped our chances of keeping some of those wantaway forwards either, Skipworth seemed pretty close with a few of them before he left.

AFL.com.au said:
understands Jordan wasn't offered a contract for 2022 and will depart following the Bombers' finals loss at the hands of the Western Bulldogs on Sunday.
Nice of the club to get on the front foot and offer a scapegoat for the loss early.

4th most points with what on paper is definitely not the 4th best forward group in the comp. I mean, what more do you want from the bloke?

4th most points with what on paper is definitely not the 4th best forward group in the comp. I mean, what more do you want from the bloke?
Seems like he might not be directly replaced given the soft cap cuts etc. Article was saying something about deciding between adding another mids coach (James Kelly also left in February – he was in charge of stoppages) or more wellbeing staff.

Wouldn't mind a forwards coach that teaches players to give each other space and not all bring their men to Wright when we kick it to his head.

Probably a discussion for another thread

Seems like he might not be directly replaced given the soft cap cuts etc. Article was saying something about deciding between adding another mids coach (James Kelly also left in February – he was in charge of stoppages) or more wellbeing staff.
It is beyond ****ed that wellbeing staff are included in the soft cap

It is beyond f’ed that wellbeing staff are included in the soft cap
I don't think it matters that much whether it's in or out of the cap, as long as everyone has a reasonable standard of wellbeing provisions and aren't using their wellbeing department spend to entice players from the have nots.

Long article is long (and worth reading actually. Good job reporter), but here's a relevant bit:

As per the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), clubs have a minimum standard to meet when it comes to medical and player development. For example, each team must employ at least one full-time welfare officer.

Every club must also spend at least $350,000 on the medical component of its football department, which is included in the soft cap. Anything more than $550,000 goes into the soft cap as well, meaning the only spend that’s not in the cap is the middle $200,000, if they choose to spend it.

In other words, if clubs can afford it, they can have a $200,000 advantage on medical, welfare and psychology than those who can’t.

The league is also crunching numbers to determine how much money is coming into the game in 2021. Crowds are down on their 2019 levels for a myriad of reasons this year, while the remote chance of another emergency hub scenario has the AFL treading carefully on pumping all its cash back into clubs at once.

Some clubs want all welfare taken out of the soft cap, which would allow them to spend money on coaches, analysts and recruiters. According to the clubs who would prefer this model, there is no ‘arms race’ in welfare, just care for players. They also say asking for $1 million to be pumped back in sounds a lot, but it‘s still more than $2 million short of their pre-COVID allowance.

For perspective:

Essendon were second in goals per inside 50 in the home and away season behind Brisbane.
Essendon were third in the league for overall accuracy in the home and away season behind Brisbane and Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leading patterns are an issue and have been for some time.

Lost count of how many times we went inside 50 against Footscray and Waterman, Wright and Frang we're all sitting on each others dicks. Not just that game, though. It happens against most teams that have a decent defensive structure.

When you watch elite teams go forward (especially on a counter-attack) you notice they give each other space and know which of the 3 matchups is most favourable to try and isolate. We seem to rely on a naturally attacking gameplan and individual talent to kick goals.

A proper forwards coach, a proper KPF and another small will be paramount to the clubs success going forward.

Essendon in 2020:

2nd in goals per inside 50
2nd in accuracy
4th in scores per inside 50

But yeah, Dan Jordan "isn't a proper forwards coach".

Our forward line has been better for scores but we can be easy to play against at times.

Personally, I think it is good to turn over assistants every 4-5 years. I have no idea if Jordan was doing a good job but you need smart players too. The way the ball comes into the 50 is equally important.

For me, regardless of coach, we now have 3 key forwards (2mp, Langford & Jones) who need time to play together.

Correct. I won't hold my breath to see if another team picks him up as their forwards coach.
Why can't you admit that you're wrong? All the facts say you are.

Why can't you admit that you're wrong? All the facts say you are.
We've been over your cherry picked statistics. The stats say we are good at scoring against poor sides, and bad at scoring against good sides - ignoring the dozens of variables that influence these factors. I did a year of quants at Uni and if it taught me anything; it's that It's one thing to have data, but it's another how you interpret it.

Regardless, I'd say I was right considering he got sacked. If he was as good as you believe he is, he A) would've kept his job or at the very least B) get picked up by another club to be their forwards coach. I would assume another club would closely watch how our forward line performs in action rather than checking how much we scored in the AFL record.

Leading patterns are an issue and have been for some time.

Lost count of how many times we went inside 50 against Footscray and Waterman, Wright and Frang we're all sitting on each others dicks. Not just that game, though. It happens against most teams that have a decent defensive structure.

When you watch elite teams go forward (especially on a counter-attack) you notice they give each other space and know which of the 3 matchups is most favourable to try and isolate. We seem to rely on a naturally attacking gameplan and individual talent to kick goals.

A proper forwards coach, a proper KPF and another small will be paramount to the clubs success going forward.
When it comes to leading direct to the ball carrier, and creating space and and opportunity inside 50, Kyle Langford is the best we have af it. IMO.

We've been over your cherry picked statistics. The stats say we are good at scoring against poor sides, and bad at scoring against good sides - ignoring the dozens of variables that influence these factors. I did a year of quants at Uni and if it taught me anything; it's that It's one thing to have data, but it's another how you interpret it.

Regardless, I'd say I was right considering he got sacked. If he was as good as you believe he is, he A) would've kept his job or at the very least B) get picked up by another club to be their forwards coach. I would assume another club would closely watch how our forward line performs in action rather than checking how much we scored in the AFL record.
What stats would you consider relevant to how well a forward line works?

I think stats in the AFL are overrated in general. But gun to my head - I'd be analysing our "stats"/performances against the best teams defensively. I'd be putting far more weight on those performances. That's how we improve as a side. Not kicking the s**t out of Aints or Norf and thinking we're a great unit. Coincidentally, that's where flaws in Dan Jordan's game are most evident.

Not sure the stats could ever truly determine how functional a forward line is. Going by eye, it’s clear to me our forward line was dysfunctional. Why does it look as though our midfielders bomb long to a pack? Maybe there are no other options? Why are there on many many occasions no forwards in our forward 50m?

I think stats in the AFL are overrated in general. But gun to my head - I'd be analysing our "stats"/performances against the best teams defensively. I'd be putting far more weight on those performances. That's how we improve as a side. Not kicking the sh*t out of Aints or Norf and thinking we're a great unit. Coincidentally, that's where flaws in Dan Jordan's game are most evident.
Of course you do. It's funny how you only hold Dan Jordan to this standard because you don't like him when we've failed all across the field against these sides, but the forward line is the area that's consistently performed well this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back