Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2017-18 - Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to forward line - 12/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this line the most interesting. It's a pretty clear indication that they see the development of the midfield as a concern and are addressing it differently. I think Skipworth has proven his strategic nous this year with what he's done with the forwards and can see no issue with him being handed the midfield.

I am expecting a big jump up in performance next year on the back of a far quicker/younger midfield.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-19/changes-to-coaching-structure

“The duties of the Midfield Coach have been restructured in order to align more effectively with the distinction between the roles of our Strategy Coaches and our Performance Coaches,” Kerr said."

Will still like to get some fresh faces in the coaches box.
Mostly I just want effective coaches in the coaches box. Don't really care whether they're familiar, old, young, fresh, noisy, or otherwise. Preferably not a Scott;
giphy.gif

But that's the limit of my preferences.

Bassett left the same year to Port.
Yeah, I thought Bassett was forward coach but maybe not.

Harvey was certainly brought on as midfield coach though. I don't ever recall Skippy filling that role.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...essendon-as-coaching-key-20141027-11cgbg.html

"Harvey, who has been hired as midfield coach, said he did not harbor an ambition to return to senior coaching having stepped away from football last year after two years at Brisbane under Michael Voss which followed his four seasons as Fremantle coach."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I thought Bassett was forward coach but maybe not.

Harvey was certainly brought on as midfield coach though. I don't ever recall Skippy filling that role.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...essendon-as-coaching-key-20141027-11cgbg.html

"Harvey, who has been hired as midfield coach, said he did not harbor an ambition to return to senior coaching having stepped away from football last year after two years at Brisbane under Michael Voss which followed his four seasons as Fremantle coach."
Skippy was doing two roles at the time, VFL coach and a game day assistant. I certainly recall him working with the midfield on game days several times, which struck me as odd.

From the start of this year, a bit of an explainer on the Rob Harding and Mark Neeld coaching roles:

The Bombers landed a quiet coup in the off-season when they poached Rob Harding from Adelaide, where he was highly regarded as a game strategist and opposition analyst. He sits in all coach meetings, leads an opposition meeting, and has been picking apart the AFL's top teams with Mark Neeld, working on ways to get ahead of the competition. Neeld's position was created by Worsfold in the mould of the 'strategy and innovations' role that West Coast employed the late Phil Walsh in. He plans a lot of the training program and works closely with the sports science department, complementing crafty football heads Guy McKenna and Mark Harvey, who have each taken their turn as senior coaches. - Nathan Schmook
http://www.aflca.com.au/index.php?i...]=2445&cHash=1ec59d67353ba8f1da6dd5d9c54adfa0

Funny how both Cooney and now kelly are still linked with the dons even though they only played in their twilight with us.
Coons is 100% Essendon now, just absolutely loves the club. Pops is still very Geelong but now that he's going into coaching with the Dons we'll see a lot more red and black around :D
What's Cooney doing at the club?

What's Cooney doing at the club?

Nothing officially but if you stalk his insta, his wife and the kids are all Bombers supporters. It looks as if he really enjoyed his time at the club.

If our midfield under Skipworth goes as well as our forward line went in 2017 then I'd be happy.

Likewise McKenna doesn't seem like he'll be a huge loss for our midfield which was bog ordinary the entire year. I don't even really believe the issue in our midfield is talent. There are better midfields out there but even though we performed like a bottom 4 midfield I'm not sure that we are bottom 4 in the talent stakes. Plus our midfielders were fit pretty much the entire year. Serious under-performing area in my books.

Love the appointment of Kelly - think he is just a smart, experienced player that will make a cracking coach as he gets more experience. He'll mostly be working with our kids from the sounds of it and I think we already know enough to know he'll be good in that kind of role.

No real opinion on Harvey. Our defense doesn't stand out one way or another. It's pretty average.

If our midfield under Skipworth goes as well as our forward line went in 2017 then I'd be happy.

Likewise McKenna doesn't seem like he'll be a huge loss for our midfield which was bog ordinary the entire year. I don't even really believe the issue in our midfield is talent. There are better midfields out there but even though we performed like a bottom 4 midfield I'm not sure that we are bottom 4 in the talent stakes. Plus our midfielders were fit pretty much the entire year. Serious under-performing area in my books.

Love the appointment of Kelly - think he is just a smart, experienced player that will make a cracking coach as he gets more experience. He'll mostly be working with our kids from the sounds of it and I think we already know enough to know he'll be good in that kind of role.

No real opinion on Harvey. Our defense doesn't stand out one way or another. It's pretty average.

Matthew Egan was a loss our defence was great with him back there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back