Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2017-18 - Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to forward line - 12/11

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Would have him definitely ahead of Taylor, Barry, Lake (you place him wayyyyyyyyyy too high) and Clement. Also placing Rance ahead of Fletch is sacrilege.
Honestly if i change anything it is Glass to 4 and the rest are interchangable in ranking. Could throw a blanket over 5-10.

Lake is a 2x AA, 3 X premiership, Norm Smith winning full back. Rutten has one AA and none of those other accolades.

Barry was a an AA fullback in a premiership year and twice overall and was key to sydneys stingy defence for a decade.

Taylor was AA twice and part of a dominant cats defence. Clement was severely underated, he won 2 bnfs and AA and was captain.

On top of that all 3 of those guys could intercept and win the ball consistently. I dont think they are underated at all. Rutten was a solid full back, but really i would argue those guys i put him on par with is fair enough.

And no it isnt sacrilege, its fair. I love fletch and he was my favourite player growing up, but Rance has been 2nd only to scarlett since 2000 in my opinion.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I honestly thought our defensive structure was pretty good this year.

When we were losing early our defence held up pretty well considering the crazy amount of ball that the midfielders let the opposition have through the midfield.

Still stoked to bring Rutten in, but I thought Harves had done a good job considering. Maybe a role change is in play....

Mar 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs, Kevin Owens
I'm not really sure how Neeld got 'scapegoated'.

Nobody has ever really had a good word to say about him, as a coach, he's had zero success coaching and our season more or less did a complete 180 when he left. Whether it was strategy, coaching or personality-based, him leaving was clearly the best thing that could have happened at the time.

Nobody has ever really had a good word to say about him, as a coach, he's had zero success coaching and our season more or less did a complete 180 when he left. Whether it was strategy, coaching or personality-based, him leaving was clearly the best thing that could have happened at the time.
Neeld was well regarded at Collingwood. Let's not rewrite history completely.

pab neruda

Rookie
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Neeld was well regarded at Collingwood. Let's not rewrite history completely.
I remember in school one of my teachers was actually Neeld's wife. We were all footy mad so she organised for us to go to the Lexus Centre to see the players, training facilities, and then Neeld himself had a chat with us.

He spoke with us for maybe a half hour about how he had prepared for the upcoming game, big blockbuster clash against Hawthorn. He was the defensive coach, and at the time stopping Hawthorn was all about stopping Buddy. So he told us all about the plans they had to quell Franklin, I don't remember the specifics he went into but more or less they were just going to put a loose man in his leading space all night.

I was pretty excited tuning into the game with my insider knowledge of the tactics Collingwood were going to employ. Well turned out Buddy was in one of those moods and kicked 8 against them.

You're right though, Neeld was very highly regarded at Collingwood, and is somewhat of a living legend at Ocean Grove where he coached them to four straight flags I think. Kind of bizarre how badly everything turned out for him once he left for Melbourne.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's disingenuous to suggest that Neeld hasn't had any success as a coach. He even enjoyed some success at Essendon before he was thrust into a role that he was ill suited for.

I doubt we go back to that coaching structure next season. So I don't expect anyone to fill the 'Neeld-role'.

Gun player, hopefully a gun coach.
He is, if he wants it he will be a senior coach before long, Carracella has no interest in the main job which will disappoint a few.

Apart from being Collingwoods midfield coach in their premiership year .... not that I am saying he should have stayed.

Speculation about Rutten replacing Harvey in the backline, but Harvey talking about next year as "we" and "us", so he seems to think he's staying at the club. Wonder if they'll shuffle the line coaches again or if there's another role earmarked for one of them somewhere along the way and Rutten just slots straight into their spot...

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I could see Worsfold being the kind of coach who might feasibly enter into a succession plan type arrangement. Remembering he left his beloved Eagles to take a year off and break from coaching after 11 years. Worth noting he left their list in great shape too. He will have been at EFC for 5 years by the time 2020 finishes up.

No idea if Rutten would be the man though as frankly I knew nothing about him as a coach before this thread popped up.

Back