Assistant Coaches - Forwards line coach and opposition strategy coach to move on at the end of 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tha Freak

All Australian
Mar 29, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Going to be good to see how we look next year with their Defensive coach, Rutten, and our attacking fwds, Big Joe/Stringer, plus hopefully a new quality mid (Shiel).

Fin ice Smuggler

Club Legend
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel we really need to work on our transition defence. We are always extremely vulnerable when we turn the ball over.
Agree, our team transition into defensive structure after we give up the ball is poor. The tigers attack in numbers when they have the ball but are the best in transition hence why they’re probably going to go back to back.

I thought our backline was fine after Neeld left, it’s the midfield/forwards transition that needs improvement to be a top 4 team next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Rutten’s role will include overseeing the entire team’s defensive output, while continuing to develop the side’s strong brigade of key-position players.

“I’m going to be looking after the team’s defence and also going to be spending some time with the key-position players – not only the defenders, but also the forwards as well – and hopefully get some growth out of them,” he said.

“Mark Harvey’s still going to be working with the defenders, but I’ll be looking at the team’s overall defence starting from the full-forward line right through to the last line of our defence.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-16/ruttens-fresh-challenge

Looks like Neeld's role has been replaced with a 'team defence/KPP' coach.

Harvey still the line coach for defence, this guy is looking at the whole team's defending.

DonsRule

I can't recall
Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
So we have 9 coaches on the roster:

John Worsfold (Senior Coach): fourth year
Rob Harding (Oppo Analysis): third year
Ben Rutten (KPP and team defence): first year
Mark Harvey (Defence): fifth year
Hayden Skipworth (Midfield): ninth year
Paul Corrigan (Forward): fifth year
Dan Jordan (VFL): second year
Mark Corrigan (unclear at this point): fifth year
James Kelly (development): second year

I don't actually know what Corrigan junior's role is? It says performance coach on the website but then lists his teaching background and doesn't actually say what he does. It seems a bit stale to me, we've had the same group for a while and we're achieving the same mediocre success.

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
So we have 9 coaches on the roster:

John Worsfold (Senior Coach): fourth year
Rob Harding (Oppo Analysis): third year
Ben Rutten (KPP and team defence): first year
Mark Harvey (Defence): fifth year
Hayden Skipworth (Midfield): ninth year
Paul Corrigan (Forward): fifth year
Dan Jordan (VFL): second year
Mark Corrigan (unclear at this point): fifth year
James Kelly (development): second year

I don't actually know what Corrigan junior's role is? It says performance coach on the website but then lists his teaching background and doesn't actually say what he does. It seems a bit stale to me, we've had the same group for a while and we're achieving the same mediocre success.
Jordan M.Corrigan and Kelly would be VFL line coaches surely? VFL head coach doubles as midfield or something?

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Jordan M.Corrigan and Kelly would be VFL line coaches surely? VFL head coach doubles as midfield or something?
Kelly isn't a line coach in the VFL. Maybe Corrigan is the midfield? Because we have Dyson coming in as defense coach and Matt Firman as forward coach. Jordan is head coach only.

EnolaGay

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Love Harvs but a natural in front of the camera he is not.
Wholeheartedly agree. He's better talking candidly to talking points in the 'From the Coach', holding his own mike. This was more scripted I guess, and he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands, looks supremely uncomfortable with the smart TV as well. Also not sure what the heck he's wearing, is it a training bib over the top of a thick jumper or something?

Appreciate the insight though.

Top Bottom