Assistant coaches - what changes coming?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnrburger

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the deadline for notification of assistant coaching roles for next year has now passed, what changes could we anticipate at the cattery given the likes of O'Bree, Knights and Lappin have been around a while, Brad Johnson helped out our forwards in preseason, etc? Looking around at other clubs / former players in the media, who would we like to get and why?

Changes are required everywhere - our forward line is a mess (can't keep using injuries as an excuse for the next 5 years).. Backline is a shadow of its former self (even though I love Scarlett).. Midfield could teach themselves although still need work. Whoever is responsible for the guarding grass tactic should be shown the door - its ridiculous the coaches continue to implement it.. Either they are stupid or the players aren't doing what they are asking - we may as well put witches hats out there when he opposition has the ball. When we need to move the ball out of back 50 its like pulling teeth followed by a shank/turnover. Lots of work to be done everywhere.

Think it is time Rahilly is moved on, his forwardline structures don't work at all and we could do with an experienced hand in development to help guide Boris.

Would love for the club to bring McCarthy back for the development role as he is first class in this aspect and bring Smithy back to help tune our midfield. As to forward coach have no idea as to whom we should target for that role.

Think it is time Rahilly is moved on, his forwardline structures don't work at all and we could do with an experienced hand in development to help guide Boris.

Would love for the club to bring McCarthy back for the development role as he is first class in this aspect and bring Smithy back to help tune our midfield. As to forward coach have no idea as to whom we should target for that role.

I presume you mean Brendan McCartney - and yes... get him and Smithy back.

GO Catters

I think there would be merit in trying to get Brad Johnson involved as an assistant... but he won't be up for it full time as he enjoys his media work.

Above all us we NEED to get a full time ruck coach though, and sorry Pill... but someone else.. we need a voice from outside to come in.

It's ridiculous to say everything is a mess, when our injuries have meant putting players on the field a year or two early.

(That said, I love the philosophy of giving young ones a run in the ones, especially if it can be part of proving they should be re-signed. If that had been done in the past, we would't have a listed player who is averaging two games a year ). Our results and ladder position are a minor miracle, with so many first choice players having been out with injury and suspensions.

And while we seem to have struggled with development since McCartney's departure, there are also signs that this is coming good again. For that reason, someone who would contribute to ruck or forward coaching might be a higher priority?

It would be ideal to get someone with experience of at least one other good system - Sydney, Hawthorn, or Adelaide perhaps, so a recently retired player from there would be the obvious easier get than an experienced line coach - given we also need to bear in mind the footy department cap.

I would prefer an outsider but a possible compromise is the model of sending Top Cats away then welcoming them home (Scarlett to Bulldogs and back); in that light, I wonder whether we have been keeping a seat warm for Steve Johnson, hence the weird non appointment of a forwards coach for this year. Or does his GWS contract give him some coaching years?

Who would want to be an assistant coach at Geelong - youd want top dollar - especially if on game day you had to sit either side of Chris Scott

I watched some vision recently of one game their - Mathew Scarlett was on one side of him - and Mathew Knights was sitting on the other side - and you could clearly see they were both uncomfortable because Scott was carrying on like a lunatic after every decision .

I thought to myself - fancy sitting through 2 hours of that every week - it would drive you nutts .

Could Rodney Eade be someone we should try to bring into the club as support for Scott? Seems to have the tactical nous that a lot of posters feel Scott is lacking...

Tactics are by far Scotts strength.

I have not heard a single poster on here complain and back it up with anything but a piglet brained size argument about selection calls they don't agree with and effort and pressure. They Wouldn't eve know what our tactics look like if it hit them in the skul.

Rodney eade You wouldn't touch. He is finished

Bring someone young and innovative in to support Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tactics are by far Scotts strength.

I have not heard a single poster on here complain and back it up with anything but a piglet brained size argument about selection calls they don't agree with and effort and pressure. They Wouldn't eve know what our tactics look like if it hit them in the skul.

Rodney eade You wouldn't touch. He is finished

Bring someone young and innovative in to support Scott.

You've been around long enough to know his strength is losing finals

Under Scott we've tried the young innovative approach and it's failed, we need to look at the experienced level headed approach, xxxx these brain dead types like O'bree and Lappin who bring nothing to the table, lets go back to the McCartney types who have the developing skills and tactical capabilities to really help us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting Hodge would be difficult as I think he wants time away and spend it with his family, but if he is open to it I would hope the club goes after him hard.

As an assistant coach he would be magnificent.

The club should always be on the lookout to bring outside talent in to improve. You don't get any better by all drinking the same Kool-Aid.

I'd be looking at Buckley if Collingwood gave him the flick.

Plenty of the newly retired would be worth looking at as well. Stevie J, Luke Hodge, Matthew Boyd all come to mind as guys that, to me, seem like they would be able to transition into a coaching role and add immediate value to the GFC.

I agree with what you're saying in general but 2013 wasn't straight sets. 2013 was the one that got away.

As far as I care Varcoe cost us this match. He should have kept sprinting and slot a goal that would've tied a game and had to go into overtime in which we would've had 100% momentum and 90% likely have won. It didn't matter if it was us or Hawthorn one of us were going to destroy Fremantle the next week, sadly it wasn't us, however unsurprisingly either with our 'coach'.

Its equally arguable that we had shot our bolt and were reduced to a walk by the end of the game. Varcoe's miss was bad, but personally I think we would have been overrun in extra time.

Its equally arguable that we had shot our bolt and were reduced to a walk by the end of the game. Varcoe's miss was bad, but personally I think we would have been overrun in extra time.

I reckon we were breathing fumes at the end of that match, but few people bring up the wasteful OOF by Christensen earlier in the last quarter when Geelong had the 20 point lead. Harry T was on his own in the forward line, about 20 metres out, but Christensen's kick which i'm not sure was a bad shot or an even worse attempt at a pass....but it went on the full. Hawthorn immediately come back out and kick a goal on the rebound, making it a 14-point game. That was the most crucial point i reckon.

I reckon we may need to make a couple of changes with the assistants, if for no other reason that the same voices have been there a while now in some cases. Someone from a club like the recent Hawks could be a good get, Hodge is combative and passionate, will be interesting how his views on the game impact upon a new set of ears.

This thread is about ASSISTANT COACHES.
References to CS are totally accepted.

HOWEVER - heading into non 2017/2018 Assistant coach talk will be OT and dealt with.

You have been warned.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back