Assistant coaches - what changes coming?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On face value, Dean Cox didn’t improve Sydney’s midfield much. But Sam Mitchell did a great job with West Coast.
Interesting article in todays Age by Justin Chadwick on Adam Simpson and his style of coaching which is styled on being very close to the players, one on one.
Quote from article. Former cat Nathan Vardy was a broken down player when he arrived at West Coast at the end of 2016. But has been able to rebuild himself and says the way Simpson cares for each individual player is special. "he knows more about me as a player and a person in my 2 years here than probably the coaches at Geelong knew the whole time i was there" Vardy says.

As I've been reading I was thinking about that.. But was he the Swans fwd coach this year? I reckon at times their forward line looked as bad as it had in a while, if Buddy wasn't on they didn't look like scoring

Just as long as we get him out of there before his son ends up in their academy.

LOL saw this and starting liking posts on first page, didn't realize a bump until Dew was mentioned, WTF he's been axed already? :)
even funnier (or not) is the situation hasn't changed really. I think we need a rebuild of some of our staff. Full time ruck coach, not convinced with Enright with forwards yet, development and skills could be improved.

LOL saw this and starting liking posts on first page, didn't realize a bump until Dew was mentioned, WTF he's been axed already? :)
even funnier (or not) is the situation hasn't changed really. I think we need a rebuild of some of our staff. Full time ruck coach, not convinced with Enright with forwards yet, development and skills could be improved.
Full time ruck coaches are like unicorns, in that they don't really exist.

Not even West Coast has Dean Cox anymore, and he's gone to Sydney as a midfield coach.

Well except for Scarlett and perhaps Enright

I don’t know how effective enright is. Our forward line looked dysfunctional.

And im not sure how effective a guy who played in the backline his whole career can be as a forwards coach. I can see the merit on him knowing how forward lines work to be able to defend against them, but how can he teach forward craft?

They've taken the broom to the forward line so as far as that goes it is a wait and see prospect for 2019 for mine.

Can't believe there has been no changes whatsoever to the panel as a whole though. Bucks, Hardwick, even Simpson post their GF loss have turned over assistants to propel the clubs forward.

They've taken the broom to the forward line so as far as that goes it is a wait and see prospect for 2019 for mine.

Can't believe there has been no changes whatsoever to the panel as a whole though. Bucks, Hardwick, even Simpson post their GF loss have turned over assistants to propel the clubs forward.
Maybe just a little bit cosy with each other?
I thought we might see a little bit of change after all the talk of reviews etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that, to provide certainty for assistant coaches and clubs, the AFL brought in a rule that all decisions about the following year's employment have to be made and communicated before the final match of the home and away season.

If so, that makes it very hard to make changes following a disappointing finals series.

My understanding is that, to provide certainty for assistant coaches and clubs, the AFL brought in a rule that all decisions about the following year's employment have to be made and communicated before the final match of the home and away season.

If so, that makes it very hard to make changes following a disappointing finals series.
The rule is informal but gives a date of the first of August to give assistant coaches time to find other employment.I expect most clubs would abide.

All our assistants are remaining at the club according to Ben Guthrie.
Gawd!!! That would be right, too hard to make any changes, too lazy to review and recruit new ideas, to broke to pay for more. Notice that Whitecross has gone to North, so they are still on the move

Gawd!!! That would be right, too hard to make any changes, too lazy to review and recruit new ideas, to broke to pay for more. Notice that Whitecross has gone to North, so they are still on the move
I'm just guessing but I'd say they are all still contracted.

Yes, if only we could have landed Whitecross we'd be set :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back