Assistant Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

would love to know what Tom Morris - High Performance Manager - Coaching actually does. I have not heard or read anything about what or how his appointment will help us win more games.

Does he help develop new strategies, evaluate coaches performances ?????? What the hell does he do that is going to make us better.

would love to know what Tom Morris - High Performance Manager - Coaching actually does. I have not heard or read anything about what or how his appointment will help us win more games.

Does he help develop new strategies, evaluate coaches performances ?????? What the hell does he do that is going to make us better.
Our coaches have all improved their rowing considerably. Saw them all out on the Swan the other week and their technique is a heap better than earlier in the year.

Yep, it's time they put him in front of the media or at the very least interview him for the Docker mag or Freo website so at least the supporters can hear what he's up to, got to say about the club etc.

Our coaches have all improved their rowing considerably. Saw them all out on the Swan the other week and their technique is a heap better than earlier in the year.
Did logue joined in as his assistant .

Yes i think he is there to evaluate coaches performances then to assist them if any identified areas of concern. I agree that Morris should be interviewed by Docker TV with the interview put on site so the punters can get a feel from where he's coming from.

Also on another post re if we have another season(2018) where big blow outs occur then Lyon should be retained but a big clean out of assistants ie Tigers end of 2016 and Cats end of 2006 (both sides went on to win Flags the following year)and there may be other examples.

Also I think Bond's role should be scrutinized more (if not already) during 2018. If there is a better candidate out there lets find him.

Last edited:
A bit on Caracella

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/3d9a3907edfe43fc38463628ce2b4b0c

The midfield tough-nut said many of Caracella’s tactical philosophies were brought across from his seven-year stint at Geelong, helping make Caddy’s own transition to Punt Rd much easier.

“Blake Caracalla came across at the same time and brought a lot of ideas along with him,” Caddy said.

“Some of the stuff the Richmond guys were learning (over summer) was for the first time and were only speaking about for the first time, some things I had been used to (at Geelong).

“For example, tackling and contested ball, it was something that Geelong had gone away from over the past few years but then last year something they really prided ourselves on.

“Richmond was something like the worst tackling team in the competition last year and the worst pressure team and a high disposal team and not so much a metres gained team.

“So, things like that. Little nuances and forward structure and things like that. They really changed things”.

RICHMOND'S direct ball movement has been a key factor in its undefeated start to the season, according to assistant coach Blake Caracella.

"We're moving the ball quicker, there's no doubt about that," Caracella told radio station SEN on Friday morning.

"We're not going sideways as much and our ball movement is probably fairly exciting now than last year.

"We don't turn the ball over as much (because) I think last year we turned the ball over a lot in our back half and got scored against.

"But this year I think we're number one or two for not getting scored against for turnovers, and (at) the same time we've been able to move the ball down the ground and score ourselves."

Caracella, who spent seven seasons with Geelong before joining the Tigers this season, said improvement in the contest and an injection of talent have also been big factors in Richmond's resurrection.

“They came out from day one of preseason and put their head down and worked their arses off, and the connection between the coaches and players is amazing.”

From the very early days in preseason Richmond players and coaches gathered as a group to speak openly and honestly about deeply personal matters in what the club called HHH (hardship, highlight, hero) sessions.

These discussions significantly helped in the relationship building process between players and coaches and set the building blocks for what has been one of the most remarkable turnarounds in recent AFL history.

Caracella, who was seen as a key off-field member of Geelong’s last premiership in 2011, said the HHH sessions had taught him more about life than he could have imagined.

“Geelong is a fantastic football club but I’ve learned so much coming here this year,” he said.

“It’s a different environment and I’m really, really thankful to the players.

“Through the triple H stuff they’ve been so open with each other and developed that bond.

“It’s been really good for me because I’m a more private person generally but they have taught me a few things about life.”

Get a good skills coach and this will improve the team and game plan immensely and make our assistants look top notch. Sort out the forward structures and we may even be good enough to have a crack.

I don't buy into the belief that only premiership players make good premiership coaches.

Hardwick was a laughing stock up until 6 months ago and now he is being hailed a genius. The Tiges have largely flown under the radar this year only hitting their straps in the last 6 weeks. Just watch next year when teams put more time into defeating them and the opinion of Hardwick will once again change (that is if he doesn't win today).

It's a fickle business.
He had Neil Balme as footy operations manager and Blake Caracella from a winning culture of the Cats, Leppa makes a better Assistant than he does a head coach.

I think Pies have followed lead of Geeeelong in 2006 and Tigers in 2016 by keeping a head coach who under the pump but injecting more talent/new idea around- Mathew Boyd and Justin Longmuir. wouldn't surprise me to see colon wood rise in 2018. They Have a midget forwardline other than Darcy Moore, a very good midfield &ruck and need to tighten up at back.

So why are wee still going with our average coaching mix? We need assistants who are prepared to challenge the status quo.

Last edited:
He had Neil Balme as footy operations manager and Blake Caracella from a winning culture of the Cats, Leppa makes a better Assistant than he does a head coach.

I think Pies have followed lead of Geeeelong in 2006 and Tigers in 2016 by keeping a head coach who under the pump but injecting more talent/new idea around- Mathew Boyd and Justin Longmuir. wouldn't surprise me to see colon wood rise in 2018. They Have a midget forwardline other than Darcy Moore, a very good midfield &ruck and need to tighten up at back.

So why are wee still going with our average coaching mix? We need assistants who are prepared to challenge the status quo.
Address the issues I raised earlier and you watch the stock of Hale, Guerra and Rock rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross is too experienced to want or need another experienced coach. The club need to surround him with disciples who are willing to learn and who have football smarts to begin with. Not necessarily the greatest players but guys that positioned themselves well or got the ball and used it well. I'd like them to sound out guys like Josh Gibson or Scott Thompson and begin to train them up.

Ross is too experienced to want or need another experienced coach. The club need to surround him with disciples who are willing to learn and who have football smarts to begin with. Not necessarily the greatest players but guys that positioned themselves well or got the ball and used it well. I'd like them to sound out guys like Josh Gibson or Scott Thompson and begin to train them up.
Sorry mate we need assistants that will have fresh ideas about the game and have the balls to say so. Not more average yes men we have a moment.

Sorry mate we need assistants that will have fresh ideas about the game and have the balls to say so. Not more average yes men we have a moment.
We don't need fresh ideas. Did you see the kind of tactics and team that just won the GF?
I'm very confident in Ross and his crew, our players are building. We had some young bodies out there this year.

Can't remember where I read it, but I believe that a large portion of this year he was purely observing the coaching panel. Based on that, majority of his work would be beginning to bear fruit starting from this preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back