Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Got that wrong.

I don't think there's much speculating to do about the Hale replacement but the Peel gig is interesting to me. Maybe it's being kept as as a Peel thing to do and we just hope they're not a complete numpty.

I don't think Hale was anywhere near as bad as people on this forum make him out to be, Hawthorn obviously want him for a reason. Will happily take Graham as a replacement though.

Couldn't agree more - was given the bare minimum talent to work with. Lots of credit from Tabs and co about work with contested marking etc

I don't think Hale was anywhere near as bad as people on this forum make him out to be, Hawthorn obviously want him for a reason. Will happily take Graham as a replacement though.

My friend put it best this way:

"I don't think David Hale was necessarily the problem, but he definitely wasn't the solution"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My friend put it best this way:

"I don't think David Hale was necessarily the problem, but he definitely wasn't the solution"

Pretty silly of the Hawks to give him a job if that's true. But I'm calling bullshit - he very obviously had f/all to work with, the club rated him highly and there's a very good chance that the Hawks headhunted him. Its not adding up for your mates theory imo.

Anyway, lets move on and get Ash Hanson! I'm not sure about Graham.

Pretty silly of the Hawks to give him a job if that's true. But I'm calling bullshit - he very obviously had f/all to work with, the club rated him highly and there's a very good chance that the Hawks headhunted him. Its not adding up for your mates theory imo.

Anyway, lets move on and get Ash Hanson! I'm not sure about Graham.
Bell's quotes today about it:

“We’ve had an ongoing dialogue with David about broadening his coaching experience and as such, we had an understanding that at the appropriate time, if an opportunity came up for him at another club, then we’d be really supportive of him exploring those possibilities.

“As it’s eventuated, he has had that opportunity with Hawthorn — a club that he knows well and will work under a senior coach that he has a very close relationship with.

“It is with our support that we farewell him from Fremantle.”

Clearly we were looking for a suitor to move him on before Hawks put their hands up....

Bell's quotes today about it:

“We’ve had an ongoing dialogue with David about broadening his coaching experience and as such, we had an understanding that at the appropriate time, if an opportunity came up for him at another club, then we’d be really supportive of him exploring those possibilities.

“As it’s eventuated, he has had that opportunity with Hawthorn — a club that he knows well and will work under a senior coach that he has a very close relationship with.

“It is with our support that we farewell him from Fremantle.”

Clearly we were looking for a suitor to move him on before Hawks put their hands up....

So we were looking for a suitor for Hale and were happy to let him go?

What do we think about Graham if West Coast let him walk to us then?

If you draw positive conclusions about both scenarios for Freo you’re looking through purple glasses tbh. It seems people see what they want to see with Assistant Coaches tbh.

So we were looking for a suitor for Hale and were happy to let him go?

What do we think about Graham if West Coast let him walk to us then?

If you draw positive conclusions about both scenarios for Freo you’re looking through purple glasses tbh. It seems people see what they want to see with Assistant Coaches tbh.
wot? lol

It literally says we were happy to let him go in the quote from Bell... we had an understanding that at the appropriate time, if an opportunity came up for him at another club, then we’d be really supportive of him exploring those possibilities

Coaches move around all the time (just like players). That's part of the industry. Clubs often want new ideas and new energy. That doesn't mean the coach leaving is 100% s**t, it just means the club and sometimes the coach also, are looking for different things. Hale leaving is a win-win imo. We get fresh blood to seek improvement in our forward line (hopefully they'll have better tools than David had). And David likely gets to coach Box Hill and get that experience.

It's highly possible that is true in Graham's case as well. I don't know because I know little about Graham hence why I haven't posted about him on here.

Last edited:
Surely he would have been responsible for the zone defense our forwards adapted from kick ins and the sheer lack of pressure, tackling and inadequate ability of our team to lock the ball inside forward 50 for many games.

wot? lol

It literally says we were happy to let him go in the quote from Bell... we had an understanding that at the appropriate time, if an opportunity came up for him at another club, then we’d be really supportive of him exploring those possibilities

Coaches move around all the time (just like players). That's part of the industry. Clubs often want new ideas and new energy. That doesn't mean the coach leaving is 100% sh*t, it just means the club and sometimes the coach also, are looking for different things. Hale leaving is a win-win imo. We get fresh blood to seek improvement in our forward line (hopefully they'll have better tools than David had). And David likely gets to coach Box Hill and get that experience.

It's highly possible that is true in Graham's case as well. I don't know because I know little about Graham hence why I haven't posted about him on here.

My thoughts were that coaches move around all the time (which you’ve also stated) and often have clauses allowing for them to move if they wish.

Graham is literally in the same position as Hale. Both their employers seem happy for them to explore better opportunities. Most employers aren’t against people in their organisations exploring better opportunities.

I just question whether losing Hale and gaining Graham are both positives for the club. From the outside it appears Hale was highly regarded so losing him is a negative for the club. Gaining Graham hopefully offsets that and perhaps is fresh ideas. No reason it doesn’t work out the same way, especially if recruiting stays the same.

It sounded like you were saying “we’re letting Hale walk because he’s sh*t” - having seen your response I don’t think that’s what you were getting at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back