Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Corey's been promoted into Carr's role, we need to sign Barra up as the midfield development coach ASAP.
Depends if Mundy is ready to jump straight back into footy and not take some time out with the kids. Mayne would be another possibility for the development coach position, especially after expressing interest last year.

Werent we looking at Chris Mayne getting involved at some point? Also Matt De Boer is apparantly interesting in coaching. Reunite De Boer and Mzungu haha.
Mayne completed the coaching course didn't he?

I don't have a suggestion, but some experience is handy. Perhaps even someone like Rutten.

I don't have a suggestion, but some experience is handy. Perhaps even someone like Rutten.

Rutten has gone to Richmond.

Mayne has also applied for the Perth Demons job. Mind you, you dont need a coaching course to do that one, more like a psych degree and I am a Demons supporter!!

What's new that Mundy can coach that he hasn't already been doing the last 2-3 years? Need new people.

We don't need a club full of people that used to play for the club. I'd rather look elsewhere.
💯

Itd be interesting if those people that always seem to call for our ex players to be given off field roles also sit back and laugh at the plight of Essendon.

The perfect case study in what happens when a club continually only looks inward to fill important off field positions .

Just as we re having a noticeable change over of players this year , with carrs departure I really hope we look to fill the coaching departments vacant role(s) with some more outsiders in an effort to keep ideas fresh and evolving .

I don’t agree with the comments regarding not hiring our own people. When you’ve got good people with connections to the club it’s a significant asset.

Mundy, McPharlin and Mayne are the three ex players I’d bring back to the club in a heartbeat.

Heard really good things about both McPharlin and Mayne as coaches from people involved in the WAFL. Both have done work at WAFL clubs and impressed a lot.

Mundy has been an on field coach for years.

Also I’ve been quiet critical of Carr in the past. Don’t think he’s a massive loss tbh.

I like the promotion of Corey who always seemed to be a level lower in our system than he should’ve been given his experience and reputation in the industry. We’ll see how he goes with more responsibility. He’s got a good midfield group to work with - I reckon he’ll smash it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t agree with the comments regarding not hiring our own people. When you’ve got good people with connections to the club it’s a significant asset.

Mundy, McPharlin and Mayne are the three ex players I’d bring back to the club in a heartbeat.

Heard really good things about both McPharlin and Mayne as coaches from people involved in the WAFL. Both have done work at WAFL clubs and impressed a lot.

Mundy has been an on field coach for years.
How about Mick Barlow?

So basically we should thank Mark Lecras that he is part of the reason the smaller goal kickers in Michael Walters, Frederick and Schulz had kicked a few goals this season?
I'd love it if this was an ongoing role, similar to Eddie Betts as a development coach at Geelong (who I'm sure spends much more time with the forwards than any other group).

He has media career written all over him.
Barlow can certainly do that.
Did he coach a vic team?
He is very Freo.
He has ridden the ups and downs.
Hes been very good (like Brownlow good) and hes struggled and got the best out himself.
He is a thinker, a bit of a warrior poet?
I like how both Bell and Longmuir have a rich suite of top level experiences between them.
I am sure this counts when recruiting assistants.

Last edited:
I think we need to get a coach who understands swift, counter-attacking football (aka "surge" football). Geelong added Shaun Grigg From Richmond coming into 2020, we've all seen what happened when McCrae joined Collingwood from Richmond. It is perfect for finals football and involves setting up a sound defensive structure, manic defence and then attacking with flair and extreme pace through the corridor.

Our biggest issue this season has been our slow and methodical ball movement from defence into attack, it is way too predictable (slow play switch, slow play switch, down the line). It means lots of stats and sound defensive structure behind the ball but gives our forwards little to no chance, with opposition defences getting plenty of time to set up and destroy/mark and counter. Kicking for territory and then relying on small forwards to tackle and lock inside the 50 is not an intelligent gameplan when the whips are really cracking. It can work during the regular season with a dominant midfield but against the better teams who bring finals pressure it is not a winning formula.

We desperately need a "surge" counter attacking football coach to be brought into the mix imo.

I think we need to get a coach who understands swift, counter-attacking football (aka "surge" football). Geelong added Shaun Grigg From Richmond coming into 2020, we've all seen what happened when McCrae joined Collingwood from Richmond. It is perfect for finals football and involves setting up a sound defensive structure, manic defence and then attacking with flair and extreme pace through the corridor.

Our biggest issue this season has been our slow and methodical ball movement from defence into attack, it is way too predictable (slow play switch, slow play switch, down the line). It means lots of stats and sound defensive structure behind the ball but gives our forwards little to no chance, with opposition defences getting plenty of time to set up and destroy/mark and counter. Kicking for territory and then relying on small forwards to tackle and lock inside the 50 is not an intelligent gameplan when the whips are really cracking. It can work during the regular season with a dominant midfield but against the better teams who bring finals pressure it is not a winning formula.

We desperately need a "surge" counter attacking football coach to be brought into the mix imo.
Because we don't win contests at the fall of the ball. Ability, structure or both.

We've already got one, JL. That's (attacking from HB and feeding off turnover with pace through the corridor) been his whole mantra since he applied for our job!

You need the players to be able to execute it, it's not as if the opposition will deliberately allow you to do it, and you need the forwardline that can capitalise on it when it happens. We're getting there, seeing improvement from JL's day one. Expect it to continue.

We've already got one, JL. That's (attacking from HB and feeding off turnover with pace through the corridor) been his whole mantra since he applied for our job!

You need the players to be able to execute it, it's not as if the opposition will deliberately allow you to do it, and you need the forwardline that can capitalise on it when it happens. We're getting there, seeing improvement from JL's day one. Expect it to continue.
Nah JL is from the Measured Collingwood Approach that Bucks his former head coach was all about. Bucks himself pointed that out pre the Collingwood final, as the battle of the old Collingwood style vs the new one. It doesn't have the manic pressure and swift surge forward attacking nature that the Geelong's, Collingwood's and Richmond's are playing at the moment. Much much safer and much more percentage based territory and possession football and defensive structure. Doesn't allow many points, but doesn't score many either.

Those teams are playing a Liverpool under Klopp style or Man United under Ferguson style, or even Leicester in their premiership year- hard pressing (under Klopp all over the field), followed by extremely swift and direct counter. We are playing a high possession, methodical, indirect style with extremely solid defence at the moment...an Arsenel under Wenger style if you will - which unfortunately, like that side, is highly susceptible to counter attacking teams (Collingwood anyone?)

Geelong was doing the same for 5 years and then added Grigg from Richmond and look at them now.

Last edited:
Nah JL is from the Measured Collingwood Approach that Bucks his former head coach was all about. Bucks himself pointed that out pre the Collingwood final, as the battle of the old Collingwood style vs the new one. It doesn't have the manic pressure and swift surge forward attacking nature that the Geelong's, Collingwood's and Richmond's are playing at the moment. Much much safer and much more percentage football and defensively structure based. Doesn't allow many points, but doesn't score many either.

I'm really surprised you can't see it. He's made no secret of it and we've gone and got Clark even though we had a plethora of running half backs. It's obvious and we see it when we're dominating an opponent.

The only reason it's stifled is we aren't quite there yet player wise. Our defence is fine in most games so there's definitely room for improvement, we don't have enough pace in the midfield yet, and our forwardline is substandard.

A multitude of sins can be covered by a great forward line.

You can attack hard and fast and kick to one on one’s, of the odds say your forwards can win those one on ones.

How successful would Richmond and Geelong be if we swapped our forward line into theirs.

Lynch and Reiwoldt/Cameron and Hawkins/Lobb and Logue

Fox News GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back