Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see this appointment excites a lot of people here, but for the record, there's not many people in the AFL I find more disingenuous than Bob Murphy.

Given his distinct lack of top level experience in this specific field, it reeks of a 'job for the boys' from his ex-teammate Simon Garlick. Not a lot of due diligence has gone into this selection.
What exactly is the field, its about building character, leadership and respect which he has always had.

Seems like a good appointment but I'm not sure about his experience in this kind of role, does he have any?

zero actual experience. Likes to talk about energy and that kind of bollocks though so apparently that has him qualified for the job.

Don’t you serve drinks at Optus?

not sure the relevance ?

His dad was a priest and his mother a nun, you know.

Bob is probably, strictly speaking, more Fremantle spiritually than most. From finding a texta thin enough to write "No war" on his arm for a footy club photo back in 2003 to hanging out with musos and knowing his way around all the milks that don't come out of a cow's ****, he is, quite frankly, exactly the right sort of left-leaning, dirt-eating wannabe ropehead that is an essential component of the Fremantle vibe. Maaaaan.

Bring him on. Put him in charge of the bucket bong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No experience after footy beyond media... I would like to see the org chart.

Nice bloke, enjoy some of his articles, especially the one he was describing watching Hilly play and kick.

Again...would like to see the org chart. It would be nice to see some experience through the org somewhere.

Garlick - first time CEO of a footy club - *** CEO of Bulldogs for four years - left before they were successful - some experience but not much***
Bell - no previous exec experience - came from media
Murphy - media
JLo - extensive assistant experience - new to senior coach.
Assistants aside from Hale who is on the way out... minimal experience in other programs.

Last edited:

Nice bloke, enjoy some of his articles, especially the one he was describing watching Hilly play and kick.

Again...would like to see the org chart. It would be nice to see some experience through the org somewhere.

Garlick - first time CEO of a footy club
Murphy - media
Assistants aside from Hale who is on the way out... minimal experience in other programs.

was garlick not CEO of bulldogs?

Murphy - media
yeah that's the issue, would love more experienced operators in some our major football roles lmao 🤯

I think there is this misconception all our coaches are rookies. They aren't:

Longmuir was a Senior Assistant at West Coast and Collingwood
Carr was an Assistant at Port Adelaide
Boyd was a Development Coach then Assistant Coach (defence) at Collingwood
Corey was a Development Coach then Assistant Coach at the Dogs (was stoppages coach in their premiership year)
Eastaugh was a Ruck and Development Coach at West Coast
Hayden has been coaching at Freo since 2012 (after retiring from playing in 2011)
Mzungu has been coaching at Freo since 2018 (after retiring from playing in 2017)
Hale has been coaching at Freo since 2016 (after retiring from playing in 2015)

Hale along with Hayden and Mzungu are the only ones to go straight to coaching at Freo post playing career.

edit - I missed Adam Read because he is the one person in our coaching group I have no read on.

Murphy - media
Garlick: CEO of Western Bulldogs 2010-2015. Then CEO of some hipster marketing firm in Melbourne.

Carr: Assistant at Port 2011-2015. Then senior coach in the SANFL from 2016-2019 (won a flag). He has more coaching experience than Hale and been a pro coach for the same number of years as Longmuir.

Boyd: Dev coach at Collingwood 2017-2020. Freo is his first Assistant job. But his third AFL club.

Murphy: had an off-field "leadership" role with the Bulldogs AFLW in 2020. Don't know what the title was and how it relates to the Freo job (and who knows exactly what this job is at Freo: "Head of Football Operations and High Performance"? I'd like to see a duty statement.)

I think there is this misconception all our coaches are rookies. They aren't:

Longmuir was a Senior Assistant at West Coast and Collingwood
Carr was an Assistant at Port Adelaide
Boyd was a Development Coach then Assistant Coach (defence) at Collingwood
Corey was a Development Coach then Assistant Coach at the Dogs (was stoppages coach in their premiership year)
Eastaugh was a Ruck and Development Coach at West Coast
Hayden has been coaching at Freo since 2012 (after retiring from playing in 2011)
Mzungu has been coaching at Freo since 2018 (after retiring from playing in 2017)
Hale has been coaching at Freo since 2016 (after retiring from playing in 2015)

Hale along with Hayden and Mzungu are the only ones to go straight to coaching at Freo post playing career.

edit - I missed Adam Read because he is the one person in our coaching group I have no read on.

Longmuir - I said he was an experienced assistant but first time senior... Misconception?
Carr - from what I understood he had little experience and then Port got rid of him. Some SANFL experience and is here... not exactly a very experienced coach.
Eastaugh - experienced.
Hayden - experienced.
Outside of Hayden and Eastaugh do any have more than 5 years in their role?

I think we are light on for experience top to bottom. There can be benefits to that so it may not be a problem. We have a relatively new senior coach coming towards the end of his contract, at a time we should be making the finals and there is not a lot of experience throughout the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back