Assistant Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t be bothered looking up how to embed tweets, but Paul Amy has hinted on Twitter that Craig Black might become our VFL coach next year. (Pretty sure that’s what he was getting at)

I think he’s already in a development pathway role with us now.

I can’t be bothered looking up how to embed tweets, but Paul Amy has hinted on Twitter that Craig Black might become our VFL coach next year. (Pretty sure that’s what he was getting at)

I think he’s already in a development pathway role with us now.

I assume this is the tweet you're referring to?

As previously mentioned on this board, AFL exchange reporting that Fremantle chasing Boyd.

Fremantle are gunning to add Western Bulldogs premiership star Matthew Boyd to their coaching staff, as Justin Longmuir looks to find someone to take charge of the Dockers’ backline in 2021.

Boyd worked alongside Longmuir at Collingwood before the latter took the job as Fremantle’s head coach last year, with the 2016 Bulldogs premiership midfielder taking over as the head of the Magpies’ defence.

Fremantle are looking for Boyd to replace former backline coach Michael Prior, who left the club back in August after he and stoppage and structures coach Anthony Rock as well as high-performance boss Jason Weber were told they were not required for the 2021 restructure.

AFL.com.au are reporting the Dockers have put an offer to Boyd, who is weighing up a move west.

Longmuir took charge of the team’s defensive unit in the final part of the season, but will likely relinquish the responsibility to concentrate on the senior role in 2021.

Collingwood conceded an average of just 52 points a game in the home-and-away season under Boyd and lost by more than 20 points on just three occasions.

I think it has come to a point that if the club wants to move on Harvey and Sanderson, then they should move on Buckley as well. That trio is linked together.

I don't see the point of giving Buckley a brand new suite of assistant coaches when he only has one year left on his contract.

I think you settle on a new head coach first, and let him pick his new assistants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it has come to a point that if the club wants to move on Harvey and Sanderson, then they should move on Buckley as well. That trio is linked together.

I don't see the point of giving Buckley a brand new suite of assistant coaches when he only has one year left on his contract.

I think you settle on a new head coach first, and let him pick his new assistants.
Well there is a surprising opinion.

Still 5 months until round 1, he won't be facing the same issues as an assistant coach.
Yeah, I feel like senior coach was too much for him. So much pressure. He was thrown to the wolves as well. Not to mention everything that happened at that club this year.

In relation to the Pies Assistant Coaches... I don't think the Pies will make any changes to the two assistant coaches until Buckley's future is decided (either re-signed or let go). No assistant coach is likely to come to us for a possible 1 year tenure.

I would like our coaching panel to resolve some of our anomalies:
Ranked 1st in disposals per game > but ranked 18th in metres gained per game > and ranked 12th in kicks per game
Ranked 1st in hit outs per game > but ranked 14th in centre clearances > and 12th in clearances per game
Ranked 1st for effective disposals per game > but ranked 13th for goals per game > ranked 17th for I50 vs goals scored (6 I50's per goal); ranked 16th for marks I50
Ranked 18th for R50's

Last edited:
Meantime, Fremantle is pursuing Collingwood assistant Matthew Boyd to fill a key coaching role next season.

It is understood the Dockers have offered the Pies' backline coach a multi-year deal to move west under senior coach Justin Longmuir.

Boyd worked with Longmuir at Collingwood as a development coach in 2018-2019 before taking the reins of the defence when Longmuir moved to Fremantle ahead of this season.

The Dockers have several positions to fill after parting ways with backline coach Michael Prior and stoppage coach Anthony Rock in August with five matches remaining.

Boyd also shares a link with the club's chief executive Simon Garlick, the pair playing as teammates at the Western Bulldogs from 2003-2004.

Craig McRae is leaving richmond and going to Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back