Prediction Assistant coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Not yet or 2018 for sure.

But he is quick & strong tackler. Doesn't have CC's X factor, but better skills & should have more upside in the long term.
I reckon he plays in Cameron's role this year and next (possibly rotating with Hampton) with stints up the ground, before moving onto the wing full-time in 2020.

I think Milera will get the nod in Charlie's role.
We lose a lot of that defensive pressure if we put Milera there, though (not saying WM can't develop this aspect of his game, I reckon he will to an extent, but he will never be as good at it as CC)

I reckon we try and put Milera on a wing full-time this year, we saw it at times last year

We lose a lot of that defensive pressure if we put Milera there, though (not saying WM can't develop this aspect of his game, I reckon he will to an extent, but he will never be as good at it as CC)

I reckon we try and put Milera on a wing full-time this year, we saw it at times last year
Agree, though I would like us to use Milera's skills across HBF in the absence of Smith.

All well and good. Gallucci is a good tackler, and he is quick but is he really Cameron quick? Not many are.

X factor is a another major thing that is not easy to make up for. Our side in general lacks X factor and we have not replaced it. I like Gallucci and he will be a very good player in the long run but I am not sure that he is Cameron replacement.

I was pretty disappointed with CC this year. He still had his pace and intent, but just didn't get any more of the ball. Even then, if he could have just improved his steadying and disposal, he'd have improved without getting any more ball. Knowing our luck, it'll probably be this year that he realises that after putting on the afterburners for a few strides, he's got a couple to settle and there's only a couple of players in the comp that will catch him from behind if he does that. But from what I've seen of Gooch, I think he'll bring more overall than CC, although I'd prefer to have both in the team and a player like Mackay be squeezed out.

All well and good. Gallucci is a good tackler, and he is quick but is he really Cameron quick? Not many are.

X factor is a another major thing that is not easy to make up for. Our side in general lacks X factor and we have not replaced it. I like Gallucci and he will be a very good player in the long run but I am not sure that he is Cameron replacement.
Galluci is the better replacement for Cameron role than Milera

Galluci is quicker , tackles better and needs a simplified role whereas Milera has more agility , composure with ball and kick

Milera suits wing / half back and Gooch suits the high pressure forward role where he can use his pace and defensive skills , he will spray shots on goal like Cameron but it's the pressure he will create that's more important . Milera won't apply the same pressure

I was pretty disappointed with CC this year. He still had his pace and intent, but just didn't get any more of the ball. Even then, if he could have just improved his steadying and disposal, he'd have improved without getting any more ball. Knowing our luck, it'll probably be this year that he realises that after putting on the afterburners for a few strides, he's got a couple to settle and there's only a couple of players in the comp that will catch him from behind if he does that. But from what I've seen of Gooch, I think he'll bring more overall than CC, although I'd prefer to have both in the team and a player like Mackay be squeezed out.
having said all that defensively he was elite and that's the part we will miss

Agree, though I would like us to use Milera's skills across HBF in the absence of Smith.
I understand that call, but people would obviously have to understand that Milera isn't a like for like replacement for Smith. Will provide great foot skills, but isn't a long, game-breaking kick and isn't as good overhead at this stage.

Could definitely rotate through there, though

I guess that's why he's worth Pick 12

Maybe you need to 1. Watch Richmond play finals again or 2. Revisit our game plan ie gain territory and pressure to create repeat entries
I guess that's why he's worth Pick 12

Maybe you need to 1. Watch Richmond play finals again or 2. Revisit our game plan ie gain territory and pressure to create repeat entries
He's worth pick 12 because he was contracted. No one on here though he was worth that in a simple trade. Many were wanting him dropped for large parts of the year.
Maybe you need to watch CC play all the games this year apart from the 1 or 2 where he did well. He was regularly poor, lack of effort, terrible foot skills, virtually no impact. That is why it is not as big a loss. If he regularly played like he did in the prelim, no way would we immediately replace him. I suspect we wouldn't have traded him at all in fact.
There is no point in gaining territory if you give it straight to the opposition, that has the reverse impact of creating pressure and repeat entries. Replacing him may actually improve on those things. If we could replace him with someone who can not only kick, but also tackle and chase like CC (when he is on anyway) it would be ideal

He's worth pick 12 because he was contracted. No one on here though he was worth that in a simple trade. Many were wanting him dropped for large parts of the year.
Maybe you need to watch CC play all the games this year apart from the 1 or 2 where he did well. He was regularly poor, lack of effort, terrible foot skills, virtually no impact. That is why it is not as big a loss. If he regularly played like he did in the prelim, no way would we immediately replace him. I suspect we wouldn't have traded him at all in fact.
There is no point in gaining territory if you give it straight to the opposition, that has the reverse impact of creating pressure and repeat entries. Replacing him may actually improve on those things. If we could replace him with someone who can not only kick, but also tackle and chase like CC (when he is on anyway) it would be ideal
I don't think you understand how good he was at the pressure forward role and how difficult that will be to replace

We struggle with it with McGovern out and Otten in so imagine if McGovern gets injured and we have no cameron or McGovern and an ageing Betts

It's not as simple to replace as you imagine

You are overplaying the giving it back to opposition , there are plenty good finishes in our side but not many elite pressure apliers forward of centre with express close down speed

I think he was worth pick 12

The coaches clearly rated him - coming into 2017 he had been about 10th in our B&F twice and played 49 games.

He dropped off a bit this year but that was more loss of confidence than anything. Was great in the prelim and his early GF injury hurt us.

He was very valuable to us. Our forward line just got older and slower.

He will be very valuable for Brisbane too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm guessing the lineup next year will be

Pyke as head coach
Campo as senior/midfield assistant
Clarke as ruck coach
Ben Hart as defensive assistant (replacing Pods)
Francou as forward assistant (replacing Teague)

And in the SANFL
ROK as head coach and midfield development coach
Pods as forward development coach (replacing VB)
Paul Thomas as defensive development coach
Tate Kaesler as team defence coach

I'm assuming we won't replace Scott Thompson who was supposed to become a coach for us after he retired.

So I'm guessing the lineup next year will be

Pyke as head coach
Campo as senior/midfield assistant
Clarke as ruck coach
Ben Hart as defensive assistant (replacing Pods)
Francou as forward assistant (replacing Teague)

And in the SANFL
ROK as head coach and midfield development coach
Pods as forward development coach (replacing VB)
Paul Thomas as defensive development coach
Tate Kaesler as team defence coach

I'm assuming we won't replace Scott Thompson who was supposed to become a coach for us after he retired.
Francou?

Thommo off to Port Adelaide. Huge loss, amazed we didn't try harder to keep him. Adios Muchacho. He's the second of the 2 players cloaked in failure that we haven't bent over backwards to retain. Big tick our club.

Worth mentioning, Not failures as individual players, but key components of a failed system. Interesting that after consigning both to the bin, and with average expectations, we finished top and played in a GF. Coincidence?

I don't think you understand how good he was at the pressure forward role and how difficult that will be to replace

We struggle with it with McGovern out and Otten in so imagine if McGovern gets injured and we have no cameron or McGovern and an ageing Betts

It's not as simple to replace as you imagine

You are overplaying the giving it back to opposition , there are plenty good finishes in our side but not many elite pressure apliers forward of centre with express close down speed

I reckon we need to improve or change the overall forward make up to make up for the loss of pressure from camerons absence.

If as a unit we pressure a little bit better then im comfortable that we can cover this.

Charlie was great at what he did and when betts and gov were playing we were probably at our best from a forward pressure perspective. However, we seem to rely on individual efforts from these guys and the forward unit didnt really defend that well.

I think our forward line needs to introduce more players to rotate through, keep people fresh, introduce speed and hopefully maintain pressure and cover the loss of charlie.

I never want to see walker, jj, lynch, otten in the forward line ever again.

I am really sad to have lost charlie. But I think we got overs for him given he still needs to develop his kicking... a lot. He is in the past now just like Danger is a distant memory as a crow.

I agree that replacing his defensive pressure will be paramount to our season next year. With that in mind I am really excited to see how Gallucci goes. He will be given games early in the season and hopefully he really takes the opportunities he gets. If he does step up to his potential then I can see him doing the role as well as charlie overall. Less x factor but hopefully a more well rounded and consistent impact come game day.

But the real test will still come finals time. We now have a team that is mostly consisting of players that have failed on two or three big occasions. Charlie was one of the few that has several big finals performances under his belt. I cant expect Gallucci to do that on his first go. So for us to take the next step and win a flag we need to be looking at the other players to step up. In the forward line that means Tex, JJ, Eddie, but also now Gov. Gov needs to fulfill that potential we all see in him next September. He is the one that I am pinning our hopes to in the forward line because the other forwards I am just not confident they can do anything different. The definition of insanity and all that. Gov ar least should be a different player than he was this September. The others it will be a case of more of the same but expecting something different. They are what they are.

Yes good skills however if he is struggling to create attack and use his skills from the wing what confidence do we have that he would do this from HB?

My other concern is that as a defender you still need to be able to defend before you create attack and at this stage we have seen very little defensive action from Milera

Whoever gets Smith's role will be under a fair bit of scrutiny and pressure and I'm not sure Milera is ready to handle the extra expectations

FWIW the club was very keen for Douglas to move to HB last year however he ended up plugging into our midfield, I think he will end up At HB in 2018

Whoever gets Smith's role will be under a fair bit of scrutiny and pressure and I'm not sure Milera is ready to handle the extra expectations

FWIW the club was very keen for Douglas to move to HB last year however he ended up plugging into our midfield, I think he will end up At HB in 2018
He is ready ! ......year 3, breakout year ......Bookmark it!

I reckon we need to improve or change the overall forward make up to make up for the loss of pressure from camerons absence.

If as a unit we pressure a little bit better then im comfortable that we can cover this.

Charlie was great at what he did and when betts and gov were playing we were probably at our best from a forward pressure perspective. However, we seem to rely on individual efforts from these guys and the forward unit didnt really defend that well.

I think our forward line needs to introduce more players to rotate through, keep people fresh, introduce speed and hopefully maintain pressure and cover the loss of charlie.

I never want to see walker, jj, lynch, otten in the forward line ever again.
Correct - the way we are travelling our forward line is potentially our weakest line going forward

Need more speed up there for sure . Happy to settle Galluci there and we need to rotate Knight through there and 1 other

Ain't anyone else to do it unless Hart goes forward and Francou goes to defense. Or if Pods stays as a full-time assistant.
Sorry - read it as Mattner!!! My mistake entirely. Must be over-tired.

Yes good skills however if he is struggling to create attack and use his skills from the wing what confidence do we have that he would do this from HB?

My other concern is that as a defender you still need to be able to defend before you create attack and at this stage we have seen very little defensive action from Milera

Douglas is the most likely option the coaching staff will select as the safest option, but if we are to improve as a team, we need to find roles of our young talent like Milera, Gallucci & Doedee.

Douglas is the most likely option the coaching staff will select as the safest option, but if we are to improve as a team, we need to find roles of our young talent like Milera, Gallucci & Doedee.
I hate reading sentences like this, one of the reasons we are there and thereabouts year in year out. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back