Prediction Assistant coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

All the coaches in the country and we choose Brent Reilly. Putting his playing days aside, his only experience as an assistant role at Henley. This is like a first year engineering student skipping second to fourth year and getting a job.
Wasn't this the same gripe that was said about Brett Burton's appointment?

I don’t mind the Reilly element for a few reasons:

- for years he worked hard with interstate players around working through Home sickness etc. He’s now living here and unlikely to go anywhere. Having coaches that have experienced this is great and can only help manage non SA recruits.

- he’s not gone straight from football to coaching, he’s had some real world experience.

- the team he worked with in resilience with the SAHMRI do incredibly impressive. Bringing that knowledge and skill set is only a good thing when combined with his own personal ability to overcome a near death experience and serious brain injury.

Welcome back Radar.

They have more coaches from outside the Club than from within,
Pyke, Campo, Francou, then their development coaches in O,Keefe, Younie, Thomas, Kaesler, Stewart are from outside the club.
When compared to the homegrown in Hart, Clark, and Reilly. That's 30% on par with most clubs less than others.
Even the 3 coaches that moved on you had Teague, Pods and VB only VB could really be called own people.

In management, they have Smart and Burton, But they have Fagan, Flett, Harper, Ballestien, Dunstan. In the High Performance teams and Recruitment teams there are no ex Crows players,
There are a lot of clubs with more ex-personal working for then the Crows.
Even the board has only 2 ex players out of 9

Its more a perception than reality.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story though.

I think the SANFL rules that were put in place regarding us joining the SANFL stipulated that we are not allowed to "poach" SANFL coaches. As much as Mattner might have been an interest, the SANFL has to agree to it and you betcha that wasn't going to happen.

Wasn't Marty Mattner out of contract with Sturt?

Brent Reilly hahahahahahaha oh man.
Takes VB’s spot I guess.
Both of these 2 are probably the two worst 200 game players in the history of our club.

He re-signed for 2 more years in June.

Oh ok, but listening to the coverage of the Grand Final, I got the impression he had a clause in his contract to join an AFL? I guess thats all 17 clubs except the Crows

Oh ok, but listening to the coverage of the Grand Final, I got the impression he had a clause in his contract to join an AFL? I guess thats all 17 clubs except the Crows
Yea, he would, but as stated before, part of the agreement of us having an SANFL team is we don't take people from other teams in the league (that rule obviously doesn't apply to Port).

I dunno if it was ever an iron-clad agreement, I had heard the wording was we were "discouraged" from hiring anyone already at a SANFL club, but that could mean anything really.

Yea, he would, but as stated before, part of the agreement of us having an SANFL team is we don't take people from other teams in the league (that rule obviously doesn't apply to Port).

I dunno if it was ever an iron-clad agreement, I had heard the wording was we were "discouraged" from hiring anyone already at a SANFL club, but that could mean anything really.

One rule for Port, a different rule for the Crows.

Why we ever agreed to that is unacceptable and just ludicrous to our development as a club.

Fair few babies out with the bathwater here as per usual

(Log in to remove this ad.)

latest

All the coaches in the country and we choose Brent Reilly. Putting his playing days aside, his only experience as an assistant role at Henley. This is like a first year engineering student skipping second to fourth year and getting a job.
It's a development coach role. They normally go to ex-players with NO experience

I don’t mind the Reilly element for a few reasons:

- for years he worked hard with interstate players around working through Home sickness etc. He’s now living here and unlikely to go anywhere. Having coaches that have experienced this is great and can only help manage non SA recruits.

- he’s not gone straight from football to coaching, he’s had some real world experience.

- the team he worked with in resilience with the SAHMRI do incredibly impressive. Bringing that knowledge and skill set is only a good thing when combined with his own personal ability to overcome a near death experience and serious brain injury.

Welcome back Radar.

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story though.

I like that he was a Vic Metro boy who ended up staying a one club player. Whilst not an issue with our current draft crop. May be able to chat with a few of the guys early, help them settle in and talk about the importance of being a one club player.

He's a development coach, not an assistant. Development coach is essentially he same as a coaching apprenticeship these days.

I like that he was a Vic Metro boy who ended up staying a one club player. Whilst not an issue with our current draft crop. May be able to chat with a few of the guys early, help them settle in and talk about the importance of being a one club player.
I doubt this will be a meaningful factor

Big headed big name stars and those who expect to be stars are unlikely to cancel their big money move to a big Melbourne club because Brent Reilly said they should be more like Brent Reilly

Feel for Henley in this situation. Jarrad Wright poached by South Adelaide late October, Brent Reilly appointed a week later. 3 weeks later Reilly poached by the Crows.

Hard enough to find quality candidates with a good profile at that level, to lose two in the space of a month is very harsh.

Not all is well in regards to our senior coaching team for AFLW. Highly successful last year, but there are serious personality issues that will eventually cause problems.
So this finally came to a head. Despite being considered fairly charismatic and well spoken Goddard hasn't been popular with the players at any stage of her tenure and isn't considered to have a 'footy brain'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back