Opinion Assistant & Line Coach Support

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing for sure, there is going to be a huge pool of candidates for assistant coaches jobs next year.
Maybe it’s why Brady has gone early with the cuts . Surely he replacements lined up & more than likely signed up without making it public just yet. Who knows ? Some might be still active with their clubs in this finals series ...

I don't think we are in a worse shape, but the soft cap is going down next year from 9m to 6m so we have to cut football department costs otherwise the AFL is going to slap a 100% tax on top of the excess and we can't afford that.

I disagree. The cut in soft cap spending in percentage terms is nowhere near as high as we are seeing in the cuts in the number of overall coaching staff.

No other club has executed anywhere near the savage cuts that we are seeing, yet 9 other clubs finished their seasons at the same time as us. This is a bloodbath.

Very disappointed that Spud has gone.

Is anyone else starting to feel quite a bit uneasy about all of these cuts?

The email says the reason is due to the financial impact of covid-19, rather than performance. Are we in worse shape financially than might be expected after a year like this? Just thinking aloud.

The VFL team is staying so it can’t be all bad.

I disagree. The cut in soft cap spending in percentage terms is nowhere near as high as we are seeing in the cuts in the number of overall coaching staff.

No other club has executed anywhere near the savage cuts that we are seeing, yet 9 other clubs finished their seasons at the same time as us. This is a bloodbath.

I think we have been the first to act, I would expect to see cuts across the board from other clubs.

We are not sure which cuts are for performance and which are for covid cost reduction purposes. We will have to see if we put any people on over the pre-season, you would assume people appointed would happen soon if they are going to happen.

I have been pretty unhappy about the standard of our coaching for a long time so to me it is not much of a surprise that Rawlings has made a lot of changes.

I think if it was because we were in strife financially the action would have happened a lot sooner, like back when we let go of Whitecross and the other guy i can't remember. We also haven't needed to borrow money from the AFL like other clubs, how bad a shape are we in if we have managed to go okay on our own steam so far?

The VFL team is staying so it can’t be all bad.

Yeah if we canned our VFL/W sides I would be more concerned, I think its leading to at least one or two senior guys replacing the existing guys being cut.

Yeah if we canned our VFL/W sides I would be more concerned, I think its leading to at least one or two senior guys replacing the existing guys being cut.

Our boy TAO said we’d be running lean....the VFL team staying is of utmost importance so I guess there’s a trade off.

North Melbourne has informed assistant coaches Jade Rawlings and Jarred Moore that they will not continue in their roles at Arden St, as well as development coach Heath Scotland, head of football performance Jason Lappin, part-time ruck coach Will Minson and Next Generation Academy coach Michael Firrito.

Rhyce really doesn't want to share a room on the post-season trip.

We have kept our VFL and AFLW side. We have made a profit for the year (and what a year to do that). We have made cuts and the cleanout that we have been crying out for. We finally have a solid foundation of quality youth coming through.

I think that is a lot to be excited about.

It was only the start of the year that Shawry was saying how happy he was to have his new team of Rawlings(Jade), Scotland and co on board. What the * happened? How bad could they have been?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was only the start of the year that Shawry was saying how happy he was to have his new team of Rawlings(Jade), Scotland and co on board. What the fu** happened? How bad could they have been?

That is like saying I am happy to be on a plane heading for my holiday... before it gets hit by lightning.

In other news I heard Crows sacked Steve Saunders.

Was Firrito in charge of the Next Gen Academy? Is that something we are continuing with?

He wasn't "in charge" of it, he was a development coach though. I assume it is something that will continue.

I love Spud but did he have the experience required or was it a sentimental appointment?? Im being inflammatory but our assistant coaches should be held accountable for our on field performances....as much as the players are...if the end product is rubbish then get in coaches that can deliver.

Hey just curious and you maybe 100% right, what's to feel uneasy about the Brown situation? Our offer was very fair and reasonable imo.

It's the compounding of things.

Our offer was fair and reasonable.

And then the talks became protracted and I think everyone just needed to chill TF out a bit.

In all honesty I reckon if Covid doesn't happen this deal gets done by June. Yet it's October and here we are.

Now there's the potential we're looking at the potential of unders for him.

It smells fire saleish.

We have a player that is clearly of value, has been the face of the club marketing wise and we're playing out bullshit through the media to draw a harder line with player managers?

Brown could be collateral damage in this resetting of perception. Which may work long term but we're yet to see that.

You throw in that were let swathes of support staff go.

11 players and potentially more.

Told senior player you can go but if you stay you're one and done.

This s**t is an onslaught.

I mean I get we need to right the wrongs post the recommiting of Brad in 16, but this feels like blood on the walls type resetting.

We cut too deep and then what? Mire? We can't afford that.

Agree - I am very nervous about this but we have seen the outs. Maybe the ins will appease us.

It's the compounding of things.

Our offer was fair and reasonable.

And then the talks became protracted and I think everyone just needed to chill TF out a bit.

In all honesty I reckon if Covid doesn't happen this deal gets done by June. Yet it's October and here we are.

Now there's the potential we're looking at the potential of unders for him.

It smells fire saleish.

We have a player that is clearly of value, has been the face of the club marketing wise and we're playing out bullshit through the media to draw a harder line with player managers?

Brown could be collateral damage in this resetting of perception. Which may work long term but we're yet to see that.

You throw in that were let swathes of support staff go.

11 players and potentially more.

Told senior player you can go but if you stay you're one and done.

This sh*t is an onslaught.

I mean I get we need to right the wrongs post the recommiting of Brad in 16, but this feels like blood on the walls type resetting.

We cut too deep and then what? Mire? We can't afford that.

Think you need to let go of the “11 players” throw away. Good chance of none of them will get picked up by another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back