Opinion Assistant & Line Coach Support

Remove this Banner Ad

If Rawlings was getting over ridden by the board on football decisions I reckon he’d walk. We haven’t lured him away from WC to play the role of yes man.

He's not necessarily being over ridden. There's nothing to say he didn't also reprimand the coaches or anything anyway, all that was alleged was that the players were shitty the coaches weren't being forced to train lol. Maybe it's just a case of some boardmembers being soured on certain coaches due to the incident, and so when Brady has said he wants a clean out they've given him a scatter gun *shrug*.

It might also all be bs, idk. I think it's hard to deny that everything has been smooth sailing at clubland though. There is a metric shitload of smoke for there to end up being no fire.

I suspect that if there was an incident of sorts, that it might have been the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and not solely the incident on it's own. Senior player not owning their behaviour is not the culture you want, well ever, but especially when rebuilding with kids.

If I am not mistaken, 9 of the 13 coaches that started the year have gone. Just 4 remain.

Loader, Rivers, Whitecross, Scotland, Moore, Jade Rawlings, Lappin, Minson and Spud. Four of those cut, have had just one terribly compromised season to show their wares.

There is no way that all of those 9 demonstrated that they are not up to the mark and especially the four just one year in.

You can call it whatever way you like Tas, you will not convince me that there is not more to this than meets the eye. Especially when you add to that, eleven players cut, plus Brown, Higgins, Polec all on the trade table. in my opinion this is unprecedented. It may not be financial, but it is still exceptionally hard to fathom just how the club will rebound from this next year.

Maybe the club is finally sick of having a bunch of mediocre players and coaches and have finally realised you need to recruit the best to be the best!

My info is that on the week of the bye players and coaches were allowed to have a few beers. Apparently it went on for too long and Brady wasn’t happy. At the next training session players were punished with extra training. Some senior players sooked up and asked why the coaches that were with them weren’t doing the training with them. Primary school stuff. I couldn’t believe it. Do you really think Brady and Reece would sack jade after one year. He’s been in the system for a long time and has a good reputation. And it’s the senior players that haven’t performed that are wagging the dog. Happy to be corrected just my info.
I don't believe it.

I suspect that if there was an incident of sorts, that it might have been the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and not solely the incident on it's own. Senior player not owning their behaviour is not the culture you want, well ever, but especially when rebuilding with kids.

Heard Garry lyon refer to the hub life of a team that struggled and has returned home. He spoke of talking to people on the inside and referred they to it as civil war at times.

John Blakey ✔

Excited to see who is next...

So Blakey is a start but who else would be good to try and come to North and what postion should they be given to coach? We still have Harvey while not a coach and Adams there so with Blakey it is a good start to teach what sort of culture should be there. l wouldn't mind seeing if Petrie could help out but l am not sure what he could do at the club....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what he can do but just get him anyway?

I don't get this infatuation of having all roles filled by past players. Just get the best people
To me North Melbourne has lost it soul of being North and having some of the past players there doing roles that they are "capable" of doing would help in getting us back to being North Melbourne, fighting for the club both on the field and off it. l saw a lot of things on the field that l didnt like this year in regards to the performance of some players and l am hoping that this will not be the case from now on. Watching North this year just didnt feel like l was watching my club but a group of players just running around. Soul and culture is important and we seem to be losing it. Having Blackey, Rawlings, Harvey, Adams, Archer and maybe 1 or 2 more ( l would like Schwass as 1)l believe would help to regain it especially with the younger players...Like the 1990s team, a lot went through together from the under 19s. Getting the best people will help but having some of the previous players helping out would also help. l believe.

To me North Melbourne has lost it soul of being North and having some of the past players there doing roles that they are "capable" of doing would help in getting us back to being North Melbourne, fighting for the club both on the field and off it. l saw a lot of things on the field that l didnt like this year in regards to the performance of some players and l am hoping that this will not be the case from now on. Watching North this year just didnt feel like l was watching my club but a group of players just running around. Soul and culture is important and we seem to be losing it. Having Blackey, Rawlings, Harvey, Adams, Archer and maybe 1 or 2 more ( l would like Schwass as 1)l believe would help to regain it especially with the younger players...Like the 1990s team, a lot went through together from the under 19s. Getting the best people will help but having some of the previous players helping out would also help. l believe.

It's a romantic notion and if ultimately it happens that the people that lead us to the promised land once also wore the jumper, then well and good.

But frankly, if Matthew Nicks (as a hypothetical) came in and turned us into an ultra professionally run organisation with a ruthless, elite, exciting playing group that resulted in consistent success, I couldn't give a rats who he played for or barracked for as a kid.

It's a romantic notion and if ultimately it happens that the people that lead us to the promised land once also wore the jumper, then well and good.

But frankly, if Matthew Nicks (as a hypothetical) came in and turned us into an ultra professionally run organisation with a ruthless, elite, exciting playing group that resulted in consistent success, I couldn't give a rats who he played for or barracked for as a kid.

l want to see players who want to play for the jumper 1st and not the money they are getting and when something better comes along they jump ship.Yes by all means get the best thats available but install the soul of what the club stands for. Goldy and Tarrant are good examples of it. They knocked back offers to stay here because they acknowledge what the club has done for them . This is what l want from the players and staff...

l want to see players who want to play for the jumper 1st and not the money they are getting and when something better comes along they jump ship.Yes by all means get the best thats available but install the soul of what the club stands for. Goldy and Tarrant are good examples of it. They knocked back offers to stay here because they acknowledge what the club has done for them . This is what l want from the players and staff...

Probably one for another day but I think players tend to play for the 'team' first, not the club. Not sure if that makes sense.

A 17-18yo doesn't walk into the club and stand in awe at the history of the joint. Their primary aim is to earn the respect of their peers. I think appreciation for the history comes later. Culture can be taught, especially as a player matures. Rhys (for example) talks about the club like he has been there for twenty years. He can instil a pride in the jumper without being a former player. He shows passion.

My overriding point is if we have the right people, it's not crucial they are ex players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back