Association Football Betting Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm cautious of the South American countries performing in Russia. It'll be summer there which will help but still.
Yep. Good points. I'll back the Argies in though { not with $, I'm retired:thumbsu: }

1998 in France Argentina were pitted with Croatia, Jamaica and Japan. 3 wins out of 3.

2006 in Germany beat Ivory Coast 2-1, smashed Serbia and Montenegro 6-0 and drew 0-0 with Holland. Topped the group again.

Brazil in 98 2 wins and a loss topping the group. The last game was a dead rubber for them and some dodgy officiating. Norway had the wood over Brazil in a few brief meetings though. Some late goals gave Norway the win. 2006 1-0 vs Croatia, 2-0 vs us and 4-1 vs Japan.

The last two world cups on euro soil they've both topped the group. Argentina didn't in 1990, they lost their opening game 1-0 to Cameroon. Argentina went on to make the final however. They beat Brazil in the 2nd round too. Brazil did top their group in 90 and probably did in 82 as well. I trust Brazil topping their group not as much Argentina but if I had to bet my money would be on them. The Croat's can be dangerous in big games but more so against the european nations and more so again at the Euros. Had a good 98 world cup obviously but that's the only cup they made it past the group phase.

Argentina has topped their world cup group the last 3 times and 4 out of the last 5. Possibly 5 out of the last 6. Not sure on the tiebreak format but in their group which consisted of Nigeria, Greece and Bulgaria at USA 94 they won 2-1. 4-0, and lost their last game to Bulgaria with an expelled Maradona 2-0.

FFS I can't remember a world cup group which Brazil failed to top. Just off the top of my head I would have said 74 but in actual fact it was 1978 where they finished 2nd behind Austria. That is some streak.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
As for Colombia and Uruguay no way I trust those campaigners on Euro soil or even to get out of the group for that matter.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree they're not trustworthy but both in relatively weak groups. Uruguay should really not have too much trouble with Saudi, Egypt and Russia.
Point taken but respectfully disagree. Russia are on home soil and will raise another cog. They got experience at the confed cup last year and would have learnt from their matches with Portugal and Chile. Regardless, it's the world cup and they have home advantage. Egypt are a strong African Nation which won 3 straight African cup's despite their long world cup absence since 1990. They're a dangerous side now led by a dangerous in form player in Salah. This is Uruguay's first world cup on european soil since 1990 and it will be a little bit different to the last two being in South Africa and Brazil.

edited - Uruguay had a good world cup showing in 2010 but were far from impressive in 2014. Lucky to face a red carded Italy and Suarez should have gone himself who took the corner for Godin's goal. Went out to a red hot colombia in the 2nd round.

2006 - Did not qualify
2002 - first round exit
1998 and 1994 DNQ.

Copa America champions 2011.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Points taken - I'm not committed to them winning the group, but it would be a massive failure if they didn't progress from the weakest group in the the tournament.

Apart from Russia, the European location won't benefit their other two opponents either.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Points taken - I'm not committed to them winning the group, but it would be a massive failure if they didn't progress from the weakest group in the the tournament.

Apart from Russia, the European location won't benefit their other two opponents either.
Nah all good mate we all have our differing opinions. The bookies have them as favourites to top the group as do many others. It's just my take as well as Jatz and many others also.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Excellent day on the punt :thumbsu:

D4EE0C9B-0061-4E81-A261-F55C4AE77760.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe worth a look at

Over 2.5 goals England vs Panama $1.82 on Unibet. Shop around you could find better odds. Decent bet perhaps. They play Panama in their second game.

Belgium Tunisia over 2.5 at $1.76

Brazil vs Costa Rica over 2.5 at $1.66

Iran vs Spain over 2.5 $1.82 { not as confident as the above but still looks good }

Belgium vs Panama over 2.5 at $1.78

Tunisia vs England over 2.5 at $1.94 { finished 2-0 in 98 in their opening game also Scholes scoring in the 90th }

Germany vs Mexico $2.00 over 2.5

Germany vs Sweden over 2.5 $1.83

The over would hit you'd think in at least one of Germany, England and Belgium's games. Some good odds on offer. Take over 1.5 goals in some games and you will get a likely result and decent enough odds. Can multi a couple of those although taking them over 1.5 as a single is a good way to tick up your money should you win. It's about winning any win is a good win for all the experts who make nothing yet want to chime in with expert analysis but win * all. I made a thread on MLS last year and results kept coming in way after yet people still cried. Why? because they were wrong and don't like seeing winners:)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
not saying they're guaranteed { nothing is } not saying bet on them all. I'm just advising they COULD be value and look decent.

good luck.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Russia $1.33 /draw $4.80 / Saudi Arabia $12.50 over 2.5 $2.15 under $1.73

Egypt $7.50 /draw $3.80 / Uruguay $1.55
Morocco $2.25 /draw$3.10 / Iran $3.51
Portugal $4.50 / draw $3.45 / Spain $1.88

France $1.22 draw $6.50 Australia $15
Argentina $1.33 draw $4.75 Iceland $12
Peru $3.80 draw $3.45 Denmark $2.05

Croatia $1.84 Draw $3.45 Nigeria $4.85
Costa Rica $4.20 draw $3.20 Serbia $2.05
Brazil $1.37 draw 4.85 Switzerland $9

further odds to follow

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just saw on espn a unibet commercial saying Nigeria have only one win in their last 11 world cup games or something. May have been 12. I'll go through it now.

1998 - last two games ended in losses to Paraguay and Denmark
2002 - one draw with England in the final group game after losing 1-0 and 2-1 to Argentina and Sweden
2010 - 1-0 loss to Argentina, loss to Greece 2-1, draw with korea
2014 - draw with Iran, win vs Bosnia { Bosnia were ripped off in that game } 3-2 loss to Argentina

so yeah in their last 11 games they have one win only and Bosnia I believe when it was 0-0 were denied a clear goal, 3 draws and 7 losses.

I didn't rate them before this world cup although they did emerge from a tough group containing Cameroon and Algeria. I didn't fancy their chances especially against Argentina, a side who has beaten them in every single of their world cup campaigns ever except for 98 { lost to them in 94 } and with Croatia and Iceland in their group, I didn't give them much of a shot of progressing. These horrible stats just solidify my view of them even more. I've liked Argentina and Croatia to make the knockout stages from day one. Croatia haven't qualified for the K.O stages since their glorious run in 98 { 2002, 06, 14 failed attempts } but I feel they're set to end that drought. They were very strong in the Euro's of 2016 and desperately unlucky. I believe in them this time around. In any case, I don't see a way through for the Nigerians.

For me Argentina who have triumphed against them in 4 out of 4 world cup meetings is a great bet but the thing I don't like about it is it's the final group game and by then Argentina may have already progressed, and in top spot. You never know, the Croat's may have something to say about that and it's not beyond them that they could nick a point or all three. I still favour Argentina and for the win but should they fail to beat Croatia { or Iceland } then the three points on offer in the final group game will there for the taking for The Albiceleste. If that is the case the odds will decrease unless their form is that bad or the Nigerians is decent.

Perhaps the Croats are worth a nibble at $1.83 in their opener vs the Super Eagles. They have their own issues at the world cup with with progression and even just winning in general. I'll provide some background info on them. Their one and only win at Brazil 14 was against African Opposition in Cameroon however so maybe that bodes well for them.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Croat's themselves have a pretty dire world cup record after 1998. In their maiden world cup it was the one and only time they've made it out of the group. That funnily enough was when they were drawn with the Argentinian's. They beat Jamaica and Japan, lost 1-0 to the Albiceleste then defeated Romania and Germany before exiting to France in the semi's. Beat Holland in the 3rd place match.

2002 - 1-0 loss to Mexico, 2-1 win vs Italy { dodgy }, 1-0 loss to Ecuador
2006 - 1-0 loss to Brazil, 0-0 with Japan, 2-2 with Australia:)
2010 - Did not qualify
2014 - 3-1 loss to Brazil { dodgy } 4-0 Cameroon, 3-1 loss to Mexico

Since 1998 they have participated in 4 world cups for a total of 2 wins one in which was dodgy although so was their loss to brazil in 2014, 2 draws and 5 losses. 3 of those 5 losses have been against South American opposition { Brazil twice } and 2 have been to CONCACAF { Mexico twice } one win against euro opp and one against african. 2 draws vs Asia. If we add in world cup 98 it would be

6 losses to South American Opp
Only one to European Opposition

we can add in an extra 5 wins with 3 coming against European Opposition and one each against Asian and CONCACAF. Croatia historically are a lot like Portugal that they've had more success at the Euros.

7 wins
6 losses
2 draws

5 wins against European Opp and in their group this time is Iceland. The only team from Europe. Some think Iceland can be the Croatia of world cup 98. Personally I think they had their Croatia moment at the euro in France. This is Iceland's first world cup so I can't offer any statistical analysis on them.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll provide Argentina's opp since 98 like I have Croatia and Nigeria. I'll give a more in depth base tomorrow as right now, I cbf. Games will be in 90 minutes only and not extra time as there have been a few plus penalties.

1998 -

games played

won - 14

lost - 3

drawn 7

wins 5 vs europe
Africa 4 { 5 if you add in nigeria 94 which is important }
Asia - 3
CONCACAF - 2

Draws

Europe 6
CONCACAF 1

Losses

Europe 3

All 3 losses have been to european opposition in England, Holland and Germany. The draw against European Opposition includes some strong opp like Holland twice in 2006 and 2014 { semi finals } Germany 2006 quarter finals.

Argentina's group phase form since 98 consists of 15 games

12 wins
1 loss
2 draws

Phenomenal group phase record. the last two world cups they have won every group game which is 6 in total. Their sole group phase loss was to England in 2002 { europe } and the draws were with Holland in 06 and Sweden in 2002.

Back