Association Football Betting Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you think bookies operate?

Some arent aware of these things and will just look at previous history. Eg I went to Carraghers last game ever vs QPR back in 2013. Local bookies had Carragher any time goalscorer @2.25. I got 10/1 on sportsbet for Carragher any time scorer. It was known that Carragher was going to take any penalties that were awarded to Liverpool.

Some arent aware of these things and will just look at previous history. Eg I went to Carraghers last game ever vs QPR back in 2013. Local bookies had Carragher any time goalscorer @2.25. I got 10/1 on sportsbet for Carragher any time scorer. It was known that Carragher was going to take any penalties that were awarded to Liverpool.

Bit different to a h2h result though isn't it?

Bit different to a h2h result though isn't it?

Nope, if anything Carraghers last game was all over the media in the UK. I didn't get the win but 10/1 on sportsbet compared to 2.25/1 on local bookies is a huge difference.

In any case Liverpool's starting XI isnt confirmed for the LC game. Could be a few surprises.

Nope, if anything Carraghers last game was all over the media in the UK. I didn't get the win but 10/1 on sportsbet compared to 2.25/1 on local bookies is a huge difference.

In any case Liverpool's starting XI isnt confirmed for the LC game. Could be a few surprises.

And the odds will update when the line up is announced just as it always does.

And the odds will update when the line up is announced just as it always does.
That's why you get on early? if Liverpool are paying 11 bucks or whatever, they're still in all competitions, you never know if there's a motivation internally for them to win the quadruple.

Sometimes there's bets that are kind of unlikely, but only need a few things to transpire for them to become very smart. whether that's a surprise addition or two for Liverpool, Aston Villa have an injury, refereeing, poor weather drags it down to a 0-0er and Liverpool decide to go for a 1-0 and milk it...

It's a good $5 bet in my opinion. it's not that much to lose but that 50 bucks outright is a carton of beer or a meal and a few wines somewhere. again, unlikely, but not a stupid bet. you'd rather go that than say Norwich over City for the same odds.

Anyone want to tell me why sportsbet don't allow for a Premier League + Champions League + League cup + FA Cup outright multi? the *?

That's why you get on early? if Liverpool are paying 11 bucks or whatever, they're still in all competitions, you never know if there's a motivation internally for them to win the quadruple.

Sometimes there's bets that are kind of unlikely, but only need a few things to transpire for them to become very smart. whether that's a surprise addition or two for Liverpool, Aston Villa have an injury, refereeing, poor weather drags it down to a 0-0er and Liverpool decide to go for a 1-0 and milk it...

It's a good $5 bet in my opinion. it's not that much to lose but that 50 bucks outright is a carton of beer or a meal and a few wines somewhere. again, unlikely, but not a stupid bet. you'd rather go that than say Norwich over City for the same odds.
Our best 18 players + the injured Fabinho, Matip and Clyne won't play in this game.

It's pretty much going to be the Villa 1st team vs A U23s side.

Can't believe I've missed this thread all this time, given losing money on football is one of my favourite pass times :D

Inter ruined my multi this morning, thought they were locks to beat an already qualified Barca at $1.60.
Liverpool @$1.70 and Benfica at $2 came through for me

Get on Sassuolo to beat Naples. they're ignoring the fact those corrupt *ers have sacked one of the best managers in the world for a bloke who barely inspired a better side in AC Milan

Unlikely but QPR at 5.50 to beat Brentford. Brentford feel overdue for a shock loss and it is a derby match too.

Bristol City aren't listed as favourites and they're away to Wigan Athletic are in a relegation spot and have been in pretty drab form.

Biggest one for me is Derby County at 3.50 to beat Boro. Rooney effect and all that. one's 11th, one's 12th. not an especially big trip and they're both in similar form.

The 7th placed Millwall are at 3.75 to beat Stoke who are 21st and have looked like a relegation side all season. honestly even 3.20 for a draw is valuable.

Otherwise I don't mind West Ham at 4.20/draw at 3.50 v Sheffield United who have probably dropped to a more accurate spot on the table.

First time poster just looking for some guidance! What’s everyone’s view on the last game this week? I’ve somehow picked all 9 results thus far and have the foxes in the last leg of my multi.
Don’t know whether to cash out now at $950 or let it ride for $3750! (Was a massive $1.50 bonus bet!!)
My gut is to let it ride, gotta be a once in a lifetime thing to pick every result and have a bet on it!!
What are your (more learned than myself) opinions on how this game plays out??
B08F4D34-2BC4-4F53-A98A-3D3B736A537E.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newcastle will be pissed that they didn't pick this up. Looks likely it was known by AC when they sold him that he was under investigation.
Player and his agent knew as well and deceived his new club.

What an absolutely fool. He was earning over £30000 per week when he was playing for Brescia a few years ago and his highest wage was £75000 per week at AC Milan. Gambling for more money was just stupid and greedy.

Last edited:
What an absolutely fool. He was earning over £30000 when he was playing for Brescia a few years ago and his highest wage was £75000 at AC Milan. Gambling for more money was just stupid and greedy.

Yes I simply cannot fathom this. If he likes gambling as a hobby why not gamble on basketball / cricket or something like that? Or if he must bet on football why not bet on leagues where he has absolutely no contacts (China, South American Leagues, A League etc) Why risk your contract for relatively small benefits by betting on your own team? It's madness.

Yes I simply cannot fathom this. If he likes gambling as a hobby why not gamble on basketball / cricket or something like that? Or if he must bet on football why not bet on leagues where he has absolutely no contacts (China, South American Leagues, A League etc) Why risk your contract for relatively small benefits by betting on your own team? It's madness.
Cause he probably has inside knowledge?

Tonali's lawyers and agent have argued it's more of an addiction than a hobby. But when you are betting on your own team's games it opens up the question of match fixing. Like you say, he could have bet on anything.

Fagioli was banned for 12 months, five suspended, but he never bet on his own team's games. Italian footballers found to have bet on games involving their own club are meant to be suspended for at least three years. Tonali will be fortunate to get out of this with a ban of a year or less.

Officially 10 months for Tonali

With 8 months suspended. He's a lucky boy - betting involving your own team even if he wasn't involved in the games that he bet on is pretty serious.

I see if he misses any of his mandatory 16 gambling rehabilitation sessions in Italy he is banned for another 8 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back